Bwomsamdi's Paladins

Or Prelates I guess.

Bwomsamdi actually seems better suited to backing up a Paladin’s powers than I thought.

In SR at least we see the guy’s a lot more righteous than he let’s on. He grills Nathanos over his sins, honors his bargains in good faith, and saves souls from the clutches of the Jailor - who thus far seems closer to this setting’s Satan than even Sargeras was who turned out to be more Galactus than Lucifer by the end.

And while he is the Loa of Graves, he’s also the Loa of Kings, meaning I suspect he could add a golden hue to his follower’s powers if they wanted.

And what’s particularly interesting is Bwomsamdi is of course based on the IRL deity Baron Samedi. Who is also the Loa of Graves in Haitian and Lousiana Voodoo, but is also the patron of healing and life (also rum, tobacco and obscenities because this god is the coolest in any interpretation).

And, what makes his WoW counterpart particularly interesting as a Paladin patron is Baron Samedi is also seen as an angel in Folk Catholicism, frequently connected with Saint Martin de Porres. He’s got altars and shrines with iconography that wouldn’t look out of place in Rome.

Given the psuedo Catholic vibes of the Paladin Order Hall - Bwomsamdi makes more sense to me as an empowerer of Paladins the more I think about it.

1 Like

That typo (or auto-correct).
Prelates.

The answer is rather simple I think. We could even see a glimpse of that with Rastakhan.
It doesn’t really matter how a Troll fights (in most cases, for some loa it does). As long as a Troll is devoted and follows the teachings of a loa, does everything by the loa rules etc. the Troll should get his favors.

So in theory it’s possible I would say. Even though the Bowers from Bwonsamdi would likely be something very different than the ones from a Paladain or a Rezan Prelate.

That however was because of Rezan, not the king stuff.

2 Likes

There are examples of Lawful death deities with paladins in Pathfinder. Perhaps Bwomsamdi leans more toward Lawful Neutral than I thought.

I think, rather than rebranding their existing paladins, that it would be cool if the Zandalari start using Bwonsamdi-blessed death knights with origins separate from the Scourge.

Darkspear too while we’re at it, since Bwon said Vol’jin was his favorite.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I think as WoW keeps expanding their Cosmology to other Deities besides the Light, Void or Elune it will become necessary (IMO if Blizz want to enhance its RPG player experiance) to maybe add a cosmectic option to color or FX your Paladin, DK or Priests…source of power? :thinking:

Example: Like how Tauren Paladin and Priest worship the Sun so their power could look more fiery… or Trolls who worship Death theme Loa and how Ku Tiran Humans could worship the Sea or Drusk… DK could have Helya/Odyn Viking theme powers, Void or Loa type undead? etc. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I always thought it would be cool if Paladin abilities like Hammer of Justice used the model of the weapon you were wielding. Or if avenging wrath, rather than draping the character in angelic golden wings, just made your character grow in size and be wreathed in light. And replace the book reading animations of various abilities with just a more general casting/summoning animation.

And that’s before even getting into glyphs. Those have been really underutilized, but the few we have, like the raptor spirit wolf form, light themed shadowfiend, and alternate Moonkin form have been awesome for helping characters feel more distinct.

2 Likes