Bring back Shining Force please!?

Title says it. Why was Shining Force removed?

Please bring it back. It is a very useful and clutch ability for all aspects of the game. PvP, M+, Raid, open world content. All benefit greatly from Shining Force. Please bring this back.

10 Likes

Yea shining force was a great ability, unfortunately not only have they not given us an interrupt but they took our only knockback cc away. Playing through Spiteful reminds me of how useful Shining Force was.

6 Likes

Just continue playing that Druid, at least blizz loves resto druids

2 Likes

I agree. Ran my first M+ of the week. I really miss it.

1 Like

lol, if only i played resto. I went from disc main since the beginning of time to a boomy this expansion. Picked teh wrong expansion to do that. Actually just swapped back to my disc for our Mythic raid team. Saw the no shining force when I was setting everything up. Big mad.

1 Like

No joke - their rationale was that there were too many knockbacks in PvP after they gave classwide access to shamans/mages (previously locked to elemental/fire) and added evoker, which has several itself.

They genuinely added AoE knockbacks to six specs, having previously added similar effects to other specs like the warrior’s Menace talent which was made into a knockback in Shadowlands, and decided they added too many so they took it away from priest. It’s one of those things like how it’s not important for every class to have an interrupt as long as priest is the only one that doesn’t.

3 Likes

Don’t forget making binding shot a stun for hunters, while saying priest couldn’t have mind bomb stun back cause there’s too many aoe stuns too!

2 Likes

Hurting for it right now with spiteful. I was super irritated without it on sanguine, too.

1 Like

I will say that Void Tendrils was fairly disappointing as a replacement for Shining Force. It literally just instantly vanishes as soon as anyone farts out some AOE.

I’d much rather see Psychic Horror come back.

3 Likes

There’s no more iconic duo than priest and a worse version of an ability another class has these days.

Void Tendrils? It’s a worse Mass Entangle and a worse Frost Nova.

Psychic Scream? It’s a worse Howl of Terror.

Leap of Faith? It’s a worse Rescue.

Angelic Feather? It’s a worse…any other movement ability…

Purify? It’s a worse Cleanse/Detox, though that’s potentially (finally) justified by Mass Dispel having fairly regular value in Dragonflight.

Phantasm? Removes an existing slow, but not roots, and doesn’t prevent them from being immediately reapplied like most comparable abilities do.

Desperate Prayer? Worst defensive in the game for most content.

Shackle Undead? A worse Control Undead, Freezing Trap, Banish. Arguably worse than Turn Evil and Sleep Walk. As far as applicability is concerned, also dramatically worse than Imprison, Polymorph, Sap, Entangling Roots, Hex, and Paralysis.

Blizzard has kind of shoved priest into an old school bard archetype - jack of all trades, master of none - without considering that gaming culture tends to eschew versatility for specialization and will almost always gravitate strongly to the options that are very good or the best at the required jobs when you can swap those choices in and out as needed, leaving priest with nothing that they’re very good or the best at - they top out at fourth or fifth best at everything they do except for dispelling magic effects, and most magic effects can be avoided or handled without a priest with good play.

7 Likes

I miss Shining Force all the time. It provided a lot of cool and fun opportunities to contribute to the group, not to mention its incredible value for many affixes. Grouping Algethar tree adds, grouping TJS Sha clones, knocking back guards in CoS… the list goes on. Priest has so little utility and fun things to contribute, we didn’t deserve this.

7 Likes

Just bumping this to say… please can we have Shining Force back?

I never realized how useless I am without it as a class. I can do nothing but pray as the adds in Nokhud SLAP my group. It’s very very unfortuante. At least give us an interrupt if you’re not gonna give us Shining Force back. Jeez.

4 Likes

You should try Dominate Mind for spiteful.

2 Likes

I agree with most of your list but this is just wrong. Priests are now the class with most stacked defensives, except for immunity, with desperate prayer being one of the most OP because of Angel’s Mercy. 1min CD for 40% health (that’s about 30% DR), that doesn’t count as DR so you can have 40% paired with Tansluscent Image, and a bit more with Protective Light.

I’d be tempted to agree with you if Angel’s Mercy didn’t involve wasting 2 talent points for shadow and weren’t generally significantly worse than Binding Heals for holy and discipline.

Desperate Prayer + Protective Light + Translucent Image is good and does promote some skill expression by requiring more work and thought than any other class to maximize, but it’s one of those things where I question the value of stacking so many effects in the talent tree. Every class has this issue to some extent, but it feels really bad that the talent tree has essentially 3 non-mandatory talents for any given spec and so many of the talents you have to pick are so lackluster.

It’s kind of the same issue that the shadow tree has on the top - there’s nothing technically bad about having a bunch of zero damage talents at the top that you’re forced to pick, but it does feel bad that there’s so many talents further down the tree that have crazy low impact that clog up pathing when they could be sent to the top of the tree as options to replace things like Dispersion, Silence, and Psychic Horror, which are all abilities that would be baseline or in the class tree for any other spec.

3 Likes

Desperate Prayer is great in PVP!

Void Shift + PW:L + Desperate Prayer = Win

1 Like

Maybe I should specify: for PvE. Priest has tons of great stuff for PvP, and much of it is of niche or zero value in PvE and is, by Blizzard’s admission, the reason priest had Shining Force removed and didn’t have other abilities returned like most classes did.

Desperate Prayer talented w/ Angels Mercy is a <1 minute reset. It’s also one of the better defensives for M+ because you can boost your hp bar above a killing blow threshold.

I was trying void tendrils last week and, it’s not quite the same but it gives you a second to think

1 Like