Breath of Sindragosa

(Ghannön) #60

BoS damage reduced only b/c the entire spec is getting a 2% aura damage buff…

There hasn’t been any aura damage buffs. Breath build sees a 0.45% nerf with these changes and Obliteration build sees 2.6% damage increase.

(Ghannön) #62
  • [Frost Death Knight] Increases damage/healing by 2%: Avalanche, Blood Plague, Breath of Sindragosa, Chill Streak, Cold Heart, Death and Decay, Death Strike, Frost Fever, Frost Strike, Frost Strike Off-Hand, Frostscythe, Frostwyrm’s Fury, Frozen Pulse, Glacial Advance, Howling Blast, Inexorable Assault, Obliterate, Obliterate Off-Hand, Remorseless Winter, Rune of Razorice Increases periodic damage/healing by 2%: Avalanche, Blood Plague, Breath of Sindragosa, Chill Streak, Cold Heart, Death and Decay, Death Strike, Frost Fever, Frost Strike, Frost Strike Off-Hand, Frostscythe, Frostwyrm’s Fury, Frozen Pulse, Glacial Advance, Howling Blast, Inexorable Assault, Obliterate, Obliterate Off-Hand, Remorseless Winter, Rune of Razorice Death Knight - Frost Spec. Death Knight - Frost Spec.

That reads a 2% damage buff to everything…

You are misinterpreting this. The 2% is the spec aura and this simply means that Chill Streak has been added to it. The spec aura now affects the damage of Chill Streak.

(Ghannön) #64

My mistake.

Perhaps the slight nerf to BoS is b/c our uptime with it is being increased quite a bit with the addition of the Essence abilities.

(Sigma) #65

As people have noticed, a few changes on PTR, mainly intended to respond to concerns about the level 100 row:

• Frost Strike damage increased 15%
  • Breath of Sindragosa damage reduced 10%
  • Icecap reduces Pillar of Frost cooldown by 3 seconds (from 1 second)

This is still a net buff to Breath in the patch, due to the addition of the 4 Runes. But the damage buff to Frost Strike primarily improves the other two talents. Icecap/Icy Citadel builds should also be a good bit more competitive.

8.1.5.x/8.2 Marksman Discussion
(Metrohaha) #66

Thanks for taking the time to explain these changes!
Communication like this is so helpful and direct insight into class tweaks is something I would kill to see more of.

Looking forward to seeing the net result for Frost DK!

(Ghannön) #67

Nerfing a dominant talent to make 2 lesser talents more enticing rubs me the wrong way… I haven’t run the numbers, but why the nerf to BoS?

The buff to frost strike offsets the nerf to BOS: so the total change is almost neutral to the BOS full rotation. These changes were more about making other talents viable.

I prefer BOS as a play style - but it is a talent optimally used for a fairly narrow number of real situations (2 min priority damage windows, 2-3 target council cleave, stable low mobility fights). Having the other two talents be competitive will allow them to be used in situations that BOS is not very well suited for - and having that choice strengthens the spec overall.

same i hate that they keep nerfing the talent that frost dks predominantly use it doesnt need nerfed on damage or increased cost what it needs it to get back the 10% you just took plus give it the 10% you took in uldir and keep its cost at 15 or make it more like a major 2 min cd so that when you use it it grants like 2 runes and 30 runic power so it feels more playable and stable

…and everyone promptly loses their minds complaining “Y u nerf Breath?”

One of the complainers even describes it as “the talent that frost dks predominantly use” as if people were just using it because they sincerely loved it; the actual truth is that it is just plain OP, so even if they had nerfed it there’d be an obvious valid reason for doing so.

Instead they’re buffing people who don’t take it to avoid nerfing anyone at all. Only to be immediately greeted by people complaining about nerfs that don’t exist!

And some people wonder why they don’t communicate more often. LOL

Please use punctuation. Also, just because it’s the talent that “frost dks predominately use” that doesn’t mean it’s the one everyone WANTS to use. Choice is good and if you had bothered to read the blue post you’d see that this was still a net buff.

(Achiron) #72

To those interested, I tested Obliteration and Breath in the PTR with the Heart of Azeroth Essences.

The best Obliteration performance resulted in 21.4k dps over 5 minutes.

The best Breath of Sindragosa performance resulted in 22.4k dps over 5 minutes.

I’m far, far from being the best player, but in my case there’s a small 5% difference from Obliteration to Breath of Sindragosa.

Things seem to be moving towards these two talents being pretty much balanced in single target.

(Vahrok) #73
  • Icecap reduces Pillar of Frost cooldown by 3 seconds (from 1 second)

Everyone seems only excited about using the increased damage of FS with obliteration but people seem to be overlooking a 300% increase in power of this talent. Has anyone done any testing with it on the PTR?

This seems like it could be really good with the right AZ traits. Has anyone tested this with stacking Frostwhelps and Icy Citadel? It has a 45 sec CD, 15 sec up time, meaning you need 10 crits with Oblit/FS to bring it back down to 0. Shooting a baby dragon and getting citadel every 20 seconds or so seems like it could be pretty good.

(Achiron) #74

Yes, Method Nnogga was testing it with 3x Icy Citadel Azerite Traits and 3x Frostwhelp as well.

He said it felt pretty fun to have over 70% Pillar of Frost and Icy Citadel uptime.

How common are those traits?

(Haven) #76

Iirc Icy Cit is coupled with Treacherous current tier gear from raid. Frostwhelp seems bound with ae sets from what I have found thus far. There are a few outliers however. Hope that helps.

(Ghannön) #77

The real question is; How did it perform compared to the other Tier 100 builds?

(Achiron) #78

Nobody reported Icecap as being competitive to the other two builds.

Yes, he achieved 70% uptime by making use of Frostscythe’s critical strikes in AoE.

I’ve been a frost dk for life and I REALLY want obliteration/frost strike build back (like in legion antorus the burning throne… not the 4set in ANT but the similar play style of ANT frost dk). I never liked BOS that much, the only time i liked BOS was in legion nighthold where you could have BOS uptime for almost 1.5 min which was actually fun. But to be honest the way frost dk’s play right now is not as fun as it could be. Much much MUCH prefer the legion ANT frost dk playstyle of the proc happy obliteration/frost strike build and WRATH lich king 25 man frost dk (minus using horn of winter to gain runic power/atck power buff) when compared to the current 20-40 sec uptime on BOS on a 2 min cd. Also, as a tail end thought i very much dislike the “cold heart talent” and would GREATLY prefer if “icy talons” was the better simmed talent. This is all in my personal opinion but hope it helps!