Boomkin question

how is boomkin now in 10.1? didnt seem so fun in the beginning of the xpac. very squishy.

Exact same as season 1 except more damage and less build diversity.

1 Like

It’s just really squishy when leveling. Worst leveling experience I’ve had by far. Once geared, it’s fine.

is it fun?

Can anyone explain to me why Balance just sits in Lunar in single target while spamming Wrath?

I asked this same question on Reddit and immediately got downvoted into oblivion for trying to educate myself. Lunar Eclipse provides absolutely zero benefits to Wrath, which is what you cast in single target, yet folks refuse to explain why this is or is not a big deal. Per the class guide on WoW Head, “you want to be in Eclipse as often as possible”, except the Eclipse the guide claims you should always be in (Lunar) provides no benefit to the spell you’re casting in single target. Do you seriously just sit in Lunar because it’ll buff the damage from Starsurge and its the easiest Eclipse to get into for Starsurge?

So, for me, Boomkin is maybe the only ranged DPS that I actually enjoy. I hate the ramp up because I’m casual, so my damage is low, however. It really only shines in 20+ keys, unfortunately.

As for why we sit in Lunar for ST is that Starfire is just too slow of a cast, so the quicker eclipse and the AP generation in Lunar makes up for any lesser damage. That will change in S2 with the new tier. We’ll be going into Solar eclipse for 1 or 2 targets and Lunar for 3+.

The bonuses you get for entering an Eclipse outweigh the actual bonus of the eclipse. And it’s faster to enter Lunar via 2x Wraths than it is to actually get into Solar via 2x Starfire

Especially from a PVP perspective - trying to cast/juke with starfires is a colossal waste of time for minimal gained benefit. Especially since you’re unlikely to even have the time to spam wraths should you even make it into Solar Eclipse without using instant starfires (once again speaking only for PVP).

Grizzle gave you the correct answer for S1 above (the act of entering Eclipse (more often) in S1 was more important than being in the right Eclipse, due to the S1 4pc and other proc talents), but as of the May 9 changes, this is no longer the case.

These changes scream as loudly as possible “use Solar Eclipse”, and it is pretty much a sad overcorrection. The sims at the bottom of the Dreamgrove Balance page have been updated for these changes here:

Solar is so strong as of this upcoming Tuesday that you’ll actually do Solar+Wrath until there are more than three targets, I believe (that was the case as of last night).

I wrote this a little while ago:

I guess we “got our wish”. Instead of doing the actually-kind-of-fun degenerate gameplay of always just entering Lunar super quick no matter what, we’re now going to do the kinda-unfun degenerate gameplay of Solar+Wrath on a 3-pull.

So yeah, we use Solar now, as of Tuesday (May 9), almost too much. Enjoy!

1 Like

Well in the case of M+ it’ll still be Lunar for every pull outside of bosses

I believe you’ll still enter Solar and do Wrath/Starfall when there are only three targets (or less) remaining on every pull, so it depends on how evenly you kill the trash, I suppose.

Ah that’s a fair point. At least now you’re actually rotating eclipses and it’ll still be a smooth transition from lunar to solar when the time comes since you’ll already be casting Starfires.

Fun is subjective to you. I personally find boomy fun because I see it as a higher skilled caster without the RNG involved in other specs, but you can also play a few talents to incorporate RNG into your build. It really does reward good players.

Eclipse still exists & Waning Twilight is anything but. At least Stellar Flare has an alternative now.

Ok so i just gotnmy boomy to 400 ilvl and we are hitting raid tonight.

Im using the basic build from wowhead since i know nothing of boomkin really.

Csn you give me a basic run down on the opener and long fight rotation for a raid boss.

And if you want to be a sweet sweaty peach, what should my rotation look like on M+ mob pulls?

dreamgrove link above, wowhead or icy-veins got you covered for rotation

1 Like

It’s just the dreamgrove rotation mentions stellar flare in the ST rotation still when most builds show to not take it?

prob not updated