Bm is trash in pvp

Title says it. It’s so bad atm. Pets die so fast. The hunter dies so fast. The longest Rez tied to it. And the damage is only moderate. We’re now a real glass cannon with only 3/4th of a cannon. I’m full pvp geared with quiet a few rank 3 pieces and 2.4 arena experience and I still get one shotted so fast now. I’ve never seen bm as weak as it is now. And in pvp ms freedom pet is the play. So no one respond core hound it’s not pve.

2 Likes

Pets NEED to be buffed or all hunters are going to suck. In their current form they are borderline useless. Last time I played hunter was in wotlk and pets were awesome, they all had different abilities, and you could choose their spec. Now your locked into a choice of 5 pets if you want to pvp, and they die instantly. You’ll spend the whole game trying to save/revive your pet. I’ll def be leveling an alt in preparation for hunters being garbage in arena.

3 Likes

With how bad my main hunter is and half the community always wanting bm to be terrible in pvp. I regret choosing bm 12 years ago. With its current state blizz finally broke my die hard love for bm. I’m truly considering quitting. Haven’t had any fun at all in pvp with how each button I push feels weak. Prepatch bm felt like bm hunter should. Felt like the early days of wow. This version feels like an extremely weak tappy spec. With crucible gone even the rotation is to boring. Crucible made the spec feel good. U actually saw a chunk of health drop off and bm having a tiny 2 heals on 30 second cd was comfortable. Things that feel bad.

1. Bm has a weak spirit mend now. And no crucible to heal. That means only heal we have is a 30% heal on a 2 minute cd. Or an out of combat camo. This is terrible design. Even when I win a fight I can’t heal myself and lose the next one.

2. Our damage is only mid of pack in pvp yet we’re a non healing class basically 0 off heals. Our cds are also on long cooldowns.

3. No buttons seem very influential. Each feels like it’s just sorta buffing something else.

4. Way to many gcds.

5. Low haste in current meta makes its insta shot rotation super clunky and less enjoyable.

6. Pets die way way to fast. 4 second Rez timer is like giving a four second rez timer to a melee when they are disarmed to get their weapon back. And then giving every dps class in game a disarm.

7. In pvp you can’t choose the look of your pet you lock urself to what’s best as that’s the meta with farming rating in arena.

8. We can’t Rez pet or dismiss pet in arena.

9. As bm you have exotic pets as your advantage but every other pet is so weak that ur stuck with the ms pet and freedom pet raptor rodent or hyena…any other hunter can use those as well…making bms niche not a niche

10. Turtle is an awful cd. Doesn’t act as trinket. Doesn’t stop but 30% of bleeds and poisons already applied to you. Can’t use nearly anything during it. So essentially cc’ing urself out of the game for 8 seconds. Compared to ice block, and devine shield it’s so bad. Pally can still kill and heal during theirs…mages take 0 damage in theirs.

11. Kiting is a thing of the past. Melee have to much up time since hunters been gutted on it’s kiting and we keep improving melees ability to gap close…yet hunters entire kit is based on staying alive through kiting with 0 healing.

12. Our cc is weaker over the years. No scatter or wyvern sting. Hunters mark is even a weaker version. It doesn’t even keep rogues out of stealth. Only shows them dimly. It can be dispelled this isn’t the real hunters mark

13. Spirit pets spirit heal should be bm baseline. Or we should have trees. Honestly bm would feel more playable if we had freedom, mortal strike, and the spirit heal. As it stands without healing or tankiness bm feels trash

In closing hunter gets weaker every patch and the things we lose never seem to truly come back. When they are re-introduced they are always a weaker version. To me hunter feels like a shell of the past. Maybe I’m jumping the gun here but it feels awful as bm atm.

6 Likes

BM is a knife edge balancing act and blizzard usually go with the route to make them bad

I don’t blame them, no one wants to get mauled down by a pet whilst the hunter twiddles their thumbs

So I don’t think you’ll see BM be good for pvp unless you want to play on the BC servers

Imagine intentionally designing the way something functions in a way that will force your hand to make it operate badly in a particular context (here pvp). I don’t know if this is true or not, but I see this claim repeated often enough. Anyway, I’m sorry things have turned out this badly. That sucks.

One of the reasons I am on my paladin. I came back on my Hunter and was wiped to the floor in pre patch. I took it as I was just rusty from my nearly near long vacation. Nope. I was destroyed pretty much every turn. New pet revive ? Well dam. Thats bad. Just being wrecked by melee that has closing I just do not remember…hunter mark useless. Pet just dying super fast.

Yeah I’ll stay on my Paly for a bit. I play SV as well, but I’ll wait this out for now.

Pally got frustrating. One of the worse specs in pvp l. Unless you can burst down during a stun duration you see useless. Such a wheelchair of a spec when it comes to ret. I was hoping holy would dominate this xpac too but its worse than BFA

BM definitely hits like a wet noodle in pvp RN. Go MM for the time being and then switch when/IF they they buff bm sometime during the patch. Unless you’re a one trick pny kind of guy. But mm has been tearing it up

I’m really enjoying BM with Kyrian ability and binding shot.

I think with the right covenants and talents it’s playable.

I’ve played with a lot of paladins (for freedoms and extra stuns / heals) and I run with a leech / MS pet. The leech actually does a lot of healing combined with exil / kyrian heal potion.

Hit me up for some skirms if you want.

Hog#1657

I may have to swap back to kyrian to test it again. I didn’t enjoy it at all though. The main rotation felt so boring. I went venthyr just to have a shot similar to crucible since we have so little moves. And I figure it will be rebuffed soon since it’s so weak atm. I still finish in the top 5 of each bg but I’m probably doing bgs against low cr players for the most part so not good representation. Kyrian felt slow and klunky. And every descent player was running out.

What pet has leach and mortal strike? I can look it up if need be. I enjoy the venthyr playstyle better than kyrian shame really it’s so weak atm. I didn’t bind with kyrian I was still post haste so I’ll retry it possibly. Having to do my testing now since I didn’t get in beta at all. Guess I got some testing to do. Feels bad so far

I use binding shot and stuns to keep them in Kyrian ring longer. The heal from the Kyrian is like another exhil cd for self heals also.

Carrion birds (ravens) have both MS and leech.

If you have time today, hit me up and I’ll demonstrate.

I can’t over-state how important binding shot is right now vs the current high burst meta. It’s a game changer if you’re not using it.

Yeah I can test out binding but I think I have to wait to reswap to kyrian. I started kyrian but didn’t like the boring shot rotation of not having flayed shot so I left it. So I’ve already done my swap which henders me I’m guessing for 2 weeks at least. I think flayed will get much stronger than it currently is once haste improves. Door of shadows sucks cept the disorient for 6 seconds can be cool

Using binding shot with that covenant ability honestly sounds like a given, so I’m kinda sad that I never thought of it.

Anyway thanks for sharing what you’re doing, it’s inspired me to test out some things too when I get home.

Prot pals are supposed to be really good in pvp again tho

This just isn’t true at all the have good heals, great bursts as you said, and great defensives. The only thing lacking is movement speed

ok fine

but they should at least not be readily kill-able, the pets I mean

cc sure, but not killable

Great post. You distilled all the frustration I have with BM in PvP as well. I had my hunter out and logged in at 10 min before SL launched. I was determined to change my main to BM hunter. With 5 min. to go before launch, my gut told me to switch back to my Paladin, which I did. I haven’t regretted it. I’m just sad that BM is not more viable in PvP because I actually enjoy the gameplay and it could be great with a few tweaks!

Great advice, I started using binding shot more and it’s definitely a game changer.

What potency conduits are you using? I recently got the one where kc crits can reduce the cd on AoW but it doesn’t seem like it’s worth it

this is a necro but i just wanted to say i hope OP stuck it out bc it’s really fun atm lmao

It’s not even just that BM hunters are weak, it’s also that some specs + covenant combinations are incredibly busted which just adds to the problem. I am not a pvper, I do it occasionally to try and catch up alts just a bit but I will say this, on my feral I went into an arena and smashed my face on my convoke button and it killed both people. I was ACTUALLY dumbfounded. I have been on the receiving end of convoke on my dh in BG’s as well.