BM DPS Efficiency

Hello!
So I’ve finally remembered what it was that sucked me into this game originally. My BM Hunter :slight_smile: I’ve spent the last few days collecting mogs and exploring old raids simply because it’s enjoyable.
However I know I need to get leveled and get her gear sorted out so I can experience more current content with her as well. That being said I’m looking for some tips on how to maximize my dps. I took some Macros off the guides and forums, added my pet attacks to all my abilities, etc. but I’m curious about the not so obvious things too!
Is there anything specific you guys do to squeeze that extra bit of dps out? Are wolf pets still the top for pet dps or will any fero pet come close? Really just any tips and tricks you guys use that you’d like to share would be wonderful.
Thanks!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not an expert but this is my take on things. Wowhead and icy-veins have nearly identical things to say about bm.

Get a weakaura that tracks the Frenzy stacks buff on your pet and another WA to better show the cd and charges of barbed shot. Since Frenzy is a buff on your pet and not you, it will not show in your buff bar. The longer you can keep that buff at 3 stacks the more dps you do. Also, you cast Bestial wrath as often as possible. It’s not part of your burst rotation, more a normal part of your rotation. If you’re doing things right you should be able to cast Bestial Wrath every 60 seconds or so because every time you cast barbed shot it knocks 12 sec off the Bestial wrath cd.

Barbed shot usage is everything. Normally you cast it to refresh the frenzy buff within a second of the buff expiration, but there are some exceptions

1. if you have 2 stacks of Barbed shot, cast one. You still get the focus regen and BW cd reduction and wild call can still proc to give you another charge.
  2. If you use the Scent of blood talent, just dump all your current BS charges before casting Bestial Wrath. This gives you the focus regen from those and you still end up with 2 charges of BS.

The barbed shot and frenzy thing is priority 1 in both single target and aoe.

In single target your rotation usually is: cobra shot-cobra shot-kill command with barb shot and Bestial mixed in whenever you need it. Kill command does slightly more damage for slightly less focus than cobra shot. You really only cast cobra command to reduce the cd on kill command. Always cast KC when it’s ready.

In aoe/cleave situations (2+ targets) you weave in multishot, this triggers your beast cleave buff which allows your pets melee damage to be aoe. It’s a short duration buff : 4 sec and not the end of the world if it drops. Better to keep frenzy up over Beast Cleave.

Multishot does garbage damage by itself and is very costly to cast. The only benefit of using it is to trigger the beast cleave. Do not spam it

Generally you can cast at most 2 spells between multishots. During lust/hero you may be able to get 3 casts. In a way your aoe rotation is just like your single target except that you are replacing one of your cobra shot casts with multishot.

Don’t forget about kill shot. More damage them kill command for a tiny amount of focus. Having a weak aura that shows when your target is under 20% health helps with using it.

In my opinion, Soulforge Embers isn’t worth it as a legendary. You basically have to cast tar trap, any other spell, then flare to make it work assuming your tar trap lands and is immediately triggered. My personal opinion is that the aiming of tar trap and it’s weird delay before triggering causes way too many problems and this made it unreliable. I switched to rykstalkers and my dps jumped significantly and my rotation is way easier.

2 Likes