BM 4pc DPS LOSS over S1 2pc

Just got 4 pc and it sims as a huge dps loss about 4k+ Losing 10% kill command damage with a chance to reset cd on barbed shot I guess after the other kill command nerfs and losing 2 pc/4pc from S1 really messed up beast mastery…

4 Likes

Yeah I had the same thing, I lost my 4pc from Season 1 to put on 441 gear and my damage went way down. They need to buff the Season 2 4pc

3 Likes

S2 tier needs help, lot of us running 2+2 atm.

I feel like BM does better with 4set from last tier.
I felt like my damage dropped hard after i switched to 2-2 for BM.

That doesn’t make sense. A 15% flat increase on KC is better than a 20% sometimes increase, and I’d guess 5% on BS vs 15% on CS is mostly a wash. Maybe you were using the S2 legs? Those are by far the set piece that BM should always avoid.

No idea what’s happening in your sims. You should post them for better analysis.

For me 4pc S2 was a big upgrade from S1.

I also personally love cool down reduction as a stat, so I absolutely love the new 4pc. Beastial Wrath up time is around 70% which is massive.

1 Like

Luck has not been on my side so I don’t have the new 4 piece yet… but could it just require a different stat balance to perform well? Like, I could see needing to go heavy on haste.

1 Like

Pretty sure the 4pc is just bugged. I only have 1 pc of the new tier set because my luck is horrendous, but my MM friend has her 4pc and I asked her to test it with BM.

She has an addon that puts cooldown numbers on the icon and just like the bug where Barbed Wrath sometimes doesn’t reduce the cooldown on Bestial Wrath, the same was happening with the 4pc. Cobra Shot, Kill Command and Multi-Shot are supposed to reduce the cooldown on Bestial Wrath by 2 seconds, but it wasn’t showing that reduction about 10% of the time.

Yea IDK what the devs where thinking with the T30 legs… Its mostly Verse with just a little haste. Without a doubt the item I plan to repace with crafted piece soon as I have the tier shoulders.

On extended fights the 4pc is an upgrade by sheer agi count and cooldown on BW. In dungeons however the 2/2 combo performs much better because its not a continous fight…just one pack to the others where i dump barbed shots at the end so i get BW for next pack anyway. The extra KC dmg really shines there

This is pretty much what I figured out as well. In M+, packs don’t last long enough for multiple Bestial Wrath casts. Running keys with 2/2, I end the dungeon with about 105k DPS overall. With 4pc, I end with about 97k dps.

In raids, however, the 4pc is more dps. It’s not a huge amount, but noticeable.

In my opinion, the 4pc needs a slight redesign. Perhaps something along the lines of increasing the damage bonus by 5% while Bestial Wrath is active. Or maybe even extending the duration of Bestial Wrath.

3 Likes

On Fort weeks packs absolutely can last long enough for a second BW cast. And since you’re chain pulling in M+ the time gaps between packs are fairly minimal anyway.

It’s Fort week. In my experience, BW lasts for most of the pack. It comes back up when the mobs are at 5-10% health. It’s inefficient to cast it again at that point. This is just my experience, but I find it quite frustrating.

As for tier sets this season, the Hunter sets are the only ones focused on cooldown reduction. However, SV and MM both have +damage aspects to their 4pc in addition to cooldown reduction. BM’s 4pc is the only tier in the game with ONLY a cooldown reduction. To put it on a level playing field, it needs a +damage modifier.

Note: We had a similar issue in SL S4, when they gave us Focus reduction. Considering BM isn’t really focus starved if geared right, it was essentially a non-bonus. They changed their minds then. They need to do the same now.

1 Like

Numbers on icons is baseline, also something everyone should have otherwise you’re inting

Oh, what game are you playing, sweet child?
You think that our aoe modifier costing 40 focus and barely lasting enough to squeeze in a few kill commands wont’starve us?

BM would benefit from having no focus at all. it makes the spec painfun and unfun to play in aoe.
Either that or drastically reduce the focus cost of cobra shot and multi shot and make KC cost no focus at all.

Spread your Barbed Shot to multiple targets. You’ll regen more Focus. Also, more Haste increases Focus regen. I rarely find myself waiting for Focus to regen to use my abilities.

That being said, if you were focus starved enough for a Focus regen set bonus to be useful, then I have to assume you weren’t gearing optimally.

The damage and regen are separate. The damage is a dot on the target, while the regen is a buff on you. If you throw multiple Barbed Shots you can actually see multiple buffs on yourself, and they all work independently. Spreading it over multiple targets could lead to increased damage if timing is such that clipping of the DoT would occur otherwise, as it won’t go over 9 seconds.

Bestial Wrath barbed shot is also stronger, and if you refresh it at any point the new dot will deal decreased damage. imo switching targets in AoE is a great habit to have, it just has no effect on the regen. Barbed Shot is also our “reposition pets” button, so it’s good to switch targets to micromanage them to the center anyway.

I imagine every person has a different idea of what “Focus starvation” is, however. I don’t feel focus starved on BM, but I also don’t consider “the best move is to not press anything for a few seconds since [important button] is coming up and it needs this focus” to be focus starvation. Maybe it’d be more fun to press more buttons, but BM barely has anything to manage as it is, we can’t become even easier.

This seems counter to your own statement. I’m assuming you just mistyped. As far as I know, multiple Barbed Shot buffs on yourself means regen from each buff. Unless there is some limit I’m not aware of anyway. IE, if I have three Barbed Shots running on different targets, I’m regenning 60 Focus instead of just 20.

I agree that Multi-Shot is expensive for what it is. I’m saying it doesn’t cause me to become Focus starved. The exception would be at the beginning of each season, when my gear isn’t caught up yet.

He’s saying that it doesn’t matter how many targets you have an active bleed from Barbed Shot on, when it comes to generating Focus.

The buffs you gain from casting Barbed Shot happen regardless of what target you fire at. Meaning, even in a ST fight, if you fire multiple Barbed Shots back-to-back at the same target, you will get the buffs that grant you Focus from each cast; 3 casts = 3 buffs x20 Focus = 60 Focus total.

Unless they’ve changed something recently with how it applies…

2 Likes

That’s right. So the only concern is the clipping of the dot - the damage portion. It can extend up to 9 seconds, maybe a 10 that internally rounds to 9 instantly, and starts at 8. So to minimize clipping loss, one wouldn’t want to throw barbed shots before the last one reaches 2 seconds.

This is a ridiculous level of optimization since barbed shot doesn’t hit that hard, most of the time you have no choice (you need to use barbed shot and there’s only one target, etc), but it’s something to keep in mind in aoe. By spreading the barbed shots you don’t get more focus since they don’t work that way - every barbed shot gives you the focus through a buff applied on your own unit, and that can’t be clipped nor replaced, you just get one, two, three buffs, all acting separately.

In full aoe, you can probably get an extra percent or two of overall damage by spreading barbed shot so as to never clip it. So, like, really good habit to have, even if for the wrong reasons.

(I also went and tested the functionality at the dummy just to be sure - it still works this way, though I remember the dot clipping being far more generous in the past)