Blzbntagt00000840 (Solved with steps) - Spooky Month Flavor

Blzbntagt00000840: I encountered this error today while updating World of Warcraft and will provide the steps and a TL;DR below. Please skip to the end to skip my Halloween Spirit rambling while I explain.

Blzbntagt00000840 and you! How to solve another “mystery error” that gets swept under the rug with “anti-virus shenanigans”. For the tech side of things, the relevant info is I am running on Windows 10 with a reliable antivirus. The steps might vary slightly for other versions of windows but are easily translated.
I was updating WoW today and could not update due to error: Blzbntagt00000840. After some extensive googling I kept finding people having to do a fresh install of either the game, the launcher, or both in order to solve the issue. I don’t have time for that. No one has time for that. I digress; After restarting the BlizzardLauncher several times to no avail and at my wits end I decided to open the task manager and give the launcher a final “End Task”… when I noticed the BlizzardUpdater app had not closed with it. Spooky right? Happy Halloween. So after hitting the BlizzardUpdater with the People’s Elbow (™ ?) I restarted the BlizzardLauncher and… Voila! WoW updated on launch and all was right in the world. I hope you enjoyed the story. Now for the TL;DR I promised earlier so the tech guys can add it to the black book.

1. Close the Blizzard Launcher client.
  2. Open the Processes tab of the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete -> Task Manager -> Processes Tab)
  3. Search for any open instance of BlizzardApp or BlizzardUpdater.
  4. End Task all instances of BlizzardApp or BlizzardUpdater (Right Click -> End Task)
  5. Restart the Blizzard Launcher.
    Game Version Prior to error - Current patch
    Performed all troubleshooting steps blue-posted previously on these forums.

Hope it helps someone. Happy Spooktober.

5 Likes

Wish I’d seen this before deleting the Battlenet app. Now i just can’t get it to download again. Keep getting a network fail at about 50%.

For me, exiting the bnet client isn’t necessary. This is what I do to fix this:

Open task manager
Find the task with a WoW icon (It is the blizzard voice proxy)
Kill it
Update works fine :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Thank you, this is what it was for me. (The voice proxy)

3 Likes

Thank-you. Worked like a charm. It was the Proxy.

2 Likes

You sir are a godsend

2 Likes

Worked for me thanks your amazing now I can play Retail again woot!!:hugs:

Yepper, Blizzard Voice Proxy was/is the culprit. Thanks Purityxd

same here was the voice proxy specifically tried ending all but it and no bueno killed it and bam

Manually killing Blizzard Voice Proxy via the task manager worked for me as well

Just updating for today that manually ending the voice proxy in Processes within the task manager solved my error as well.

i tried this because my classic wouldn’t download a patch and it didnt work i followed the steps i’ve already opened a ticket have not contacted yet but i tried this and it still gave me the error. did i do anything wrong? please reply because things didnt go exactly as stated.