Blue Eyes for Blood Elves in 8.1

Trigger Warning: This is not your typical fan fiction thread, everything here is referenced and rooted in lore, you have been warned.

I've been reading alot of nonsense lately about Blue Eyes for High Elves for Alliance based on nothing but fan fiction. So I got a counter proposal rooted in lore and common sense, let's give Blue Eyes to Blood Elves in 8.1

The restoration of the Sunwell as a fount of Holy and Arcane energies is sufficient lorewise.

In Battle for Azeroth it has been 7 years in the timeline since the Sunwell was restored.

It is also reasonable that High Elves from every corner of Azeroth, from Quel'Danil Lodge to Dalaran, would return to Quel'Thalas after finding out that their Sunwell and kingdom have been restored.

To better reflect the current state of the game:

Give the cosmetic Blue Eye option to Blood Elves.

Ion Hazzikostas make this a thing! Bury this topic once and for all!

Consider Renaming Blood Elves to High Elves

Since the Sunwell has been restored, Kael'thas killed, and their home reclaimed; the Blood Elves are now culturally and ideologically identical to their former selves.

Therefore, Blood Elves should also be renamed to High Elves to better reflect the current state of the game and avoid any further confusion.

Purple Eyes for ALL Silver Covenant High Elves

The High Elves of the Silver Covenant feed off Arcane artifacts rather than the Sunwell. Their current eye color does not reflect this.

When Valeera Sanguinar feeds off a Naga's trident (Arcane artifact), her eyes turn Purple.

Reference: World of Warcraft: The Comic, Issue 7: Revelations

It is reasonable to think that the artifacts the Silver Covenant uses to siphon Arcane energy are just as powerful as the Naga's trident, if not more. Purple also happens to be the color of the Kirin Tor and it would fit nicely.

The High Elves and Alliance Do Not Like Each Other

There is alot of misinformation going around about High Elves having a kinship with the Humans of the Alliance, and that is simply not true.

During the Second War, Silvermoon reluctantly joined the Alliance, contributing only a small contingent of fighters due to a 2800 year old blood oath to the last descendant of King Thoradin (Anduin Lothar). It is important to note that for the entire period of this blood oath, Quel'Thalas had no alliance with any Human Kingdom, and had poor relations with them.

As soon as the Humans were done using the High Elves, they began to distance themselves from Silvermoon.

Reference: Beyond the Dark Portal

At the end of the Second War, the Alliance left them to rot and deal with the Amani Trolls alone, a threat that was resurgent as a direct result of Silvermoon joining the Alliance.

With the last descendant of King Thoradin dead, King Anasterian Sunstrider considered the debt of the High Elves repaid and withdrew from the Alliance, accusing them of abandoning Silvermoon in it's darkest hour.

Reference: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2

High Elves are not welcome in Alliance lands.

Reference: Alliance & Horde Compendium, p.15

The Quel'Danil and Quel'Lithien Alliance Loyalty Myth

There is a myth in the forums that these two groups of High Elves refused to join the Blood Elves out of loyalty to the Alliance.

When Grand Magister Rommath returned from Outland, he brought with him the knowledge of siphoning Fel energies from Demons and their artifacts as a replacement for the lost Sunwell.

Ranger Lord Renthar Hawkspear among others dissented against Rommath's teachings on moral grounds. As a result, Lor'themar Theron banished them to Quel'Lithien Lodge, where they turned into Wretched and died. It was never about the Alliance.

Reference: In the Shadow of the Sun

Quel'Danil Lodge was a communications outpost of Quel'Thalas. After the fall of Silvermoon and subsequent destruction of the Sunwell, Quel'Danil was completely cut off from Quel'Thalas. They did not witness the destruction of Silvermoon, and therefore were not able to join Kael'thas. As a result, they decided to adjust to not feeding off Arcane energies and stopped practicing magic altogether. Once again, nothing to do with the Alliance.

Reference: Warcraft: Legends Volume 5

The High Elves of Quel'Danil Lodge have not fed on Arcane energies for over a decade in the timeline, therefore they should no longer have Blue Eyes.

The Sunwell is Holy and Arcane

There's alot of confusion as to the current nature of the Sunwell so I thought I should clarify this.

"In the wake of Kil’jaeden’s defeat, the draenei prophet Velen purified the Sunwell with the Light-infused heart of a fallen naaru, transforming the fount into a source of both holy and arcane energies."

Reference: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/races/blood-elf

Blood Elves (High Elves) can choose Holy or Arcane from the Sunwell

There are some arguments that Blood Elves cannot pick and choose which energies to draw from the Sunwell.

But the Kaldorei did just that with the Well of Eternity.

The Well of Eternity was a fount of Arcane energies, but it was the Nature energies from the World Tree that dampened it's volatile energies and brought it into balance.

Reference: World of Warcraft: Lands of Mystery (p.17), World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

This Nature energy from the World Tree is what made the Well of Eternity different than both the Nightwell and Sunwell, which spawned exclusively Arcane-centric societies.

The Highborne fed from the Arcane energies of the Well of Eternity while the Kaldorei fed from it's Nature energy derived from the World Tree, no different than the Holy energies of the Sunwell derived from M'uru.

This is why the Highborne wielded the Arcane and the Kaldorei embraced Druidism and Nature worship, while both feeding and benefitting from the same Well of Eternity.

The marriage of Nature and Arcane in the Well of Eternity was such that the Kaldorei believed Elune slept in the depths of the Well of Eternity during the day.

Reference: World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1

You cannot make the argument that Kaldorei never fed from the Well of Eternity, because had they not, they would still be Dark Trolls.

Reference: World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume 2 Issue 1

The Well of Eternity being a fount of Arcane energies balanced by Nature energies is the reason that Balance Druids wield both schools.

Blood Elves are NOT corrupted like the Orcs

Orcs originally lost their tan because they drank the blood of a Pit Lord, half the ritual to become a Demon Hunter.

Reference: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/races/orc

The Blood Elves that drank the blood of demons, the equivalent to the corrupted Orcs, are the Felbood Elves of Magisters Terrace and Sunwell Plateau, which have a different skin color.

Reference: http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Felblood_elves

Silvermoon Blood Elves on the other hand, simply siphoned Fel energies from Demons and artifacts. That is why only their eyes changed and not their skin color.
17 Likes
Sylvanas will lead a 3rd faction. High Elves will be a part of that faction.

You know, and lots of rezzed things (prob Val'kyr, too).
WTB RBG eyeballs
This guy did his research we should follow his advice and give Blood Elves blue eyes.
2 Likes
You're welcome to blue eyes. I don't see why not, although some may tell you that if you want blue eyes the Void Elves are waiting for you.

I want my High Elf Mage to have brown eyes tbh. We know they have access to all natural eye colors canonically. And frankly brown is way more attractive.
I support blue eyes for Blood Elves.
1 Like
I actually support this, as there have been a number of blood elves that have appeared with blue eyes since the restoration of the Sunwell.

Such as Lanesh the Steelweaver
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sunreaver_Captain

The Sunreaver Captains, and Frosthands as well
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sunreaver_Captain
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sunreaver_Frosthand

It would make sense that elves that are more oriented toward Arcane magics would have the blue hues of their eyes returned.

Funnily enough, it won't be long before both High elves and Blood elves look identical, as every elf on Azeroth is connected to the Sunwell regardless of proximity. Aurora Skycaller states this in the short-story novel "Shadow of the Sun" where she notes that her sensations of magical withdrawal has been eased since it's restoration.
2 Likes
High elves are on the Horde already, just give then blue eyes.
1 Like
I got golden eyes after all years. I am very happy. now to just get up and level her. But thinking I might switch to warrior. Name here captsayso
I want blue eyes for my characters. Gold was nice, but blue is iconic
We don't need any of those complicated lore and faction points and background. All we need is for some additional customization options to be implemented for all the races (such as the ability to change eye color). There should be a blue option for the blood elf race - that's it.
2 Likes
+1 i'm already Tracer
I don't care if BEs get blue eyes, but I do care if BEs get 3 eye color options before any other race gets some more customization options.

And Alliance should still get actual HEs. Faction identity is non existent when you can put a Pandaren from each faction next to each other and nobody can tell the difference.

Clearly the Horde loves elves as much as the Alliance, so blue eyed elves for all.
4 Likes
I like your post. but I think we just need to make dev gives us not jest better customization but true in all sense. Right now they limited like a Nintendo game in the 1980. this is 2018 were even sub, sub, sub par mmo have better customization than wow.

11/07/2018 06:14 AMPosted by Memelle
We don't need any of those complicated lore and faction points and background. All we need is for some additional customization options to be implemented for all the races (such as the ability to change eye color). There should be a blue option for the blood elf race - that's it.
So you want more customization while other races like tauren and highmountain tauren and plenty of others are still stuck with like 5 choices.... how about no? You can wait, make a death knight and get your blue eyes or you can roll a void elf and also get blue eyes.
The knights of acherus are waiting for you or well, the Ren''dorei are there for you.
3 Likes
11/07/2018 06:24 AMPosted by Saadet
So you want more customization while other races like tauren and highmountain tauren and plenty of others are still stuck with like 5 choices.... how about no? You can wait, make a death knight and get your blue eyes or you can roll a void elf and also get blue eyes.
The knights of acherus are waiting for you or well, the Ren''dorei are there for you.

If you think tauren should get more options make a thread.
With what we have seen it could go either way and just be a matter of time or never really happen, but I am all for adding more character customization.

Personally I don't think the lore so far "proves" that Blood Elves should have Blue Eyes, but that's literally something that can be changed with "Now they can!"

Now, I do have some issues with these arguments:

-Blood Elves changed their name for a darn good reason.

-All Kaldorei were connected to the Well of Eternity, they didn't "choose" to grab either arcane or nature magic. It was only AFTER the Well's destruction that the Kaldorei started to practice druidism as a society, as Malfurion was literally the first NE druid. The World Tree was planted after the destruction of the Well of Eternity.

-Official CDev answers have compared the Blood Elf fel corruption to the orc's one:

Why do blood elves still have green eyes?
Corruption from fel energies takes a long time to wear off. It's why most orcs are still green even though Mannoroth is dead.

How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be "horrified" if they knew the true extent of Kael's dealings with Illidan.
The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs' skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev
1 Like
Just wait for more racial customization mechanics. Probably in next expansion.
11/07/2018 06:32 AMPosted by Talendrion
With what we have seen it could go either way and just be a matter of time or never really happen, but I am all for adding more character customization.

Personally I don't think the lore so far "proves" that Blood Elves should have Blue Eyes, but that's literally something that can be changed with "Now they can!"

Now, I do have some issues with these arguments:

-Blood Elves changed their name for a darn good reason.

-All Kaldorei were connected to the Well of Eternity, they didn't "choose" to grab either arcane or nature magic. It was only AFTER the Well's destruction that the Kaldorei started to practice druidism as a society, as Malfurion was literally the first NE druid. The World Tree was planted after the destruction of the Well of Eternity.

-Official CDev answers have compared the Blood Elf fel corruption to the orc's one:

Why do blood elves still have green eyes?
Corruption from fel energies takes a long time to wear off. It's why most orcs are still green even though Mannoroth is dead.

How did the blood elven fel eye glint become so widespread? The Warcraft Encyclopedia suggests that Rommath only taught the blood elves of Azeroth about how to siphon arcane magic, as most of the populace would likely be "horrified" if they knew the true extent of Kael's dealings with Illidan.
The situation regarding blood elf eyes is, in fact, extremely similar to that of the green skin of orcs: just being around heavy use of fel magic turned the eyes of the blood elves green. You could be the most pious of priests or most outdoorsy of Farstriders, chances are, if you were a high elf in Quel'Thalas or Outland following the Third War, you were around fel energies, and your eyes would turn green. Like the orcs' skin color, such an effect would take a very long time to wear off. Fel magic works a bit like radiation in this sense; it permeates the area and seeps into anything in the vicinity. Anything near a source of fel magic shows signs of slight corruption, it just so happens that high elves and orcs manifest it in a very visual way.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev

There you have it. Blood Elves will get blue eyes again once green orcs turn brown!
1 Like
11/07/2018 06:37 AMPosted by Gávilar
There you have it. Blood Elves will get blue eyes again once green orcs turn brown!

I have Yellow Eyes and my Orc friends are still green.

Why would Blue Eyes be any different?

The Sunwell is both Holy and Arcane and I am already attuned to it's Holy energies, what keeps others from getting Blue Eyes from being attuned to it's Arcane energies?

There you have it, more fan fiction from the Alliance.
1 Like