Bloodthirst attack power scaling is bugged

I’m a bit disheartened by the post by Blizzard here https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/burning-crusade-classic-not-a-bug-list-may-18-2021/279764 stating that “Bloodthirst damage does not scale from attack power gained via Improved Berserker Stance or Unleashed Rage.”

This can easily be seen as not true from an old video from TBC of a Illidan kill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7w8kZyssw where at 0:26 the warrior in the video hits Illidan with a bloodthirst crit for 3076 damage.

At this point Illidan already has 5 stacks of sunder and faerie fire. The warrior in the video has battle shout, strength of earth totem, ferocious inspiration, disdain from the Shard of Contempt trinket (showing that this is also during the Sunwell patch), and executioner. No other short term effects that could potentially effect bloodthirst’s damage are on the boss or the warrior in the video at this point.

Now at 0:38 into the video the warrior in the video casts bloodthirst again, this time critting for 3381 damage. Once again if you check the effects on the warrior and the boss himself to this point everything is the same EXCEPT rank 5 unleashed rage is now on the warrior. What does unleashed rage do? Increases all of the shaman’s party members melee attack power by 10%.

What is 3076 * 1.1? 3383.6, just 2 damage off the 2nd bloodthirsts damage. This can easily be accounted for by rounding errors in the game (Go hit a dummy with bloodthirst in the beta and you can see it sometimes hit for slightly different amount even though your attack power is remaining the exact same)

No other procs are up when both of these bloodthirsts occur. The only other potential possibility is a hunter’s expose weakness or improved hunters mark are up at this point and increasing the damage which would be difficult to see with all the debuffs being applied, but these two talents ALSO DON’T WORK IN THE BETA WITH BLOODTHIRST.

Bloodthirst’s damage has been bugged multiple times throughout Classic, such as when it wasn’t interacting properly with the Argent Dawn attack power against undead trinkets so it would not surprise me if it did get broken in other ways. But this is clearly bugged behavior.

Bloodthirst should be scaling with all attack power gains on the character, this includes things like Improved Berserker Stance (seriously why wouldn’t a talent in the same tree as bloodthirst not increase the damage of bloodthirst, think Blizzard), Unleashed Rage, Expose Weakness, Improved Hunter’s Mark.

Blizzard please fix this by TBC launch or early into it. It’s kind of ridiculous to have a class that will already struggle in TBC be hit with a nerf bat of a bug that didn’t exist in original TBC

20 Likes

I stand partially corrected. After looking at other videos it appears that the hunter talent Expose Weakness does not count towards Bloodthirst. It’s difficult to find any sort of video evidence of improved hunter’s mark one way or another.

Unleashed Rage and Improved Berserker Stance should still count towards it however.

Remember, too, that many abilities had quite a bit of variance in how hard they hit. I’d probably trust someone who can look at the formula more than trying to discern it from an old video.

That variance changes from ability to ability. Some abilities are based off weapon damage for example which does have variance. Take whirlwind for example in the aoe dummies in the beta. my WW hits one for 463, another for 399, another for 442 and a 4th for 413. This is because of the damage range on weapons.

Plus there will always be a tiny amount of damage differences such as the 2.6 here that can be chalked up to server side rounding issues.

That being said you are wrong about bloodthirst since it is not one of those abilities. Besides the server side rounding problem there is absolutely 0 variance in bloodthirst outside of attack power changes.

I can hit a dummy with bloodthirst for hours and the damage range will always be within a couple digits.

Here is a list of bloodthirst hits from the beta

1065 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
483 (there’s that rounding thing im talking about)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1064 (crit)
1065 (crit) (another example of the tiny variance)

So no, Bloodthirst does not decide to randomly hit for 300 extra damage. It’s an ability that is based solely off 45% of your attack power and nothing else.

1 Like

also tested with using rampage and battle shout

1682 (crit)
1683 (crit)
1683 (crit)
1683 (crit)

again sometimes tiny little differences but otherwise working as expected.

which is gain why when the bloodthirst here manages to hit just 2 digits from the expected range with a 10% increase of attack power it shows this is obviously bugged

1 Like

blizz has to have recently swapped out some “talent” for the classic project, or added a new team or something. theres been a series of good changes and good calls, and a series of absolute dogcrap. no way the same people are responsible for everything weve seen

4 Likes

I hope they fix this and the feral bug.

4 Likes

I’m not familiar enough with the Feral energy issue to know if it’s a bug or not but I do agree both should be changed. Blizzard has already shown they’re willing to change the game to what the community wants and both of these “not bugs” have turned already struggling classes even worse.

1 Like

so… the bloodthirst difference from 0:26 - 0:38 could be from debuffs on the boss and not from unleashed rage?

It could, but the most likely candidate for a debuff causing the difference is Expose Weakness, which also doesn’t currently scale BT. One or the other should be working, most likely Unleashed Rage due to the evidence posted here.

1 Like

As Neckbear said the boss has all the main normal debuffs. It has full sunders, curse of reck, and faerie fire. The only other potential debuffs that could cause a damage difference would be either a hunters improved hunters mark or exposed weakness which also don’t work with Bloodthirst in the beta (nor should they, looking at other videos with a hunter with expose weakness it doesn’t work with bloodthirst so this is intended behavior) meaning that there’s no other possibilities BUT unleashed rage

And since Unleashed Rage (a talent that increases your attack power by 10%) works so should Improved Berserker Stance (which does the same thing)

Fight Club discord has catalogued the issues. Here’s hoping Blizzard looks into it.

True, Fight Club has it in an easy to read page for those who are unsure what to look for :slight_smile: https://github.com/magey/tbc-warrior/issues/67

The most amusing thing about this post is that Fight Club which is known for good math botched this topic by a large margin and the mistake is actually quite humorous because its obvious.

I give them till about June 4th until they realize it, I think they are just tired and missed it.

Your hint: If you pick up a object with your left hand, can you pick up a second item in your left hand if it’s currently preoccupied? Assuming the first item requires the entire hand to hold.

This same mechanic was present in Classic except it wasn’t involving talents it was involving…well if I say you’ll just figure it out without work.

I think the warrior boys are just tired because the fact they missed this is kinda not like them. Open both on a talent panel for a shaman and a warrior, read the talents. Then think about why they don’t stack.

What does any of that even mean? The two talents read as follows:

Causes your critical hits with melee attacks to increase all party members’ melee attack power by 10% if within 20 yards of the Shaman. Lasts 10sec.

Instantly attack the target causing (Attack power * 45 / 100) damage. In addition, the next 5 successful melee attacks will restore 30 health. This effect lasts 8 sec. Damage is based on your attack power.

Why would they not interact? The shaman’s buff increases the warrior’s attack power by 10%, and the warrior’s BT damage is determined by his attack power.

Think a little simpler, there is a genuine reason why these two don’t stack. If Fight Club can’t figure it out before June 4th, I will post it in there for them.

There is an achieve on EJ post for this as well if you want to dig. Like the answer is for simple it sounds stupid.

Edit: The only reason I won’t just tell you is I am more perplexed that they missed it.

Straight trolling. If you actually knew anything, you’d post your evidence. I just went and double checked EJ, there’s no threads on the topic and no discussion of it in the first 5 or last 25 pages of the fury warrior thread. If it’s buried somewhere in there, you can go ahead and post a link directly to the page.

soooo what are you saying causes the damage discrepancy here or are you only here to troll?

Another hint: What tells the game client how a spells/abilties works in conjunction with other spells/abilities? There is a genuine reason, I am actually only doing it this way because the mechanic is present in Classic and the fact they missed it was a shock.

I’ve struck the Bloodthirst note from our Not-A-Bug list. We did finally find the bug, and we’re writing a hotfix for it.

Thanks again!

12 Likes