Blood Elves should have rejoined the Alliance

Frankly, we’d be a lot better for them in the long run and before Garrosh sabotaged it with the Divine Bell incident, they clearly thought so too.

We’ve always had a history of friendship with them ever since the Troll Wars when they taught Humans magic and with their aid defeated the Trolls and saved Quel’thalas. And when the Orcs of the Horde came to burn Quel’thalas to the ground, we diverted our forces to save them even when they didn’t necessarily think they needed our help. For the second time, we saved their entire race from extinction.

And then everything went to hell when Arthas was corrupted by Ner’zhul and ravaged Lordaeron with the Scourge. With the Alliance in shambles and the BEs having adopted an isolationist policy, they were caught wholly unprepared when the full might of the Scourge descended upon them. In an eye blink, 90% of their race was slaughtered and the Sunwell itself was shattered.

And so we enter into the most controversial time of all: Garithos. Now let me be clear, he was a racist and should never have been in command of such a highly volatile and stressful situation nor did he have any justification whatsoever to attempt to execute the BEs for trying to save themselves.

His irrational hatred and bigotry that drove the BEs away from the Alliance was unforgivable. But I also think the Alliance in general gets way too much flak for his actions when, for all intents and purposes, they didn’t know about it.

Think about it, the leadership was in ruins and communications between Alliance groups was pretty much non-existent. Garithos wasn’t the Alliance, he just so happened to be the highest ranking officer left in that general area as far as anyone knew.

Had the actual Alliance leadership had a voice and awareness of what he was doing, I have no doubt they would have immediately removed him from command and viciously disciplined him for having the gall to try to execute their own allies over a spat of personal bigotry, especially in the middle of a cataclysmic war where they were fighting for their very lives.

But regardless, what was done was done. The BEs eventually join the Horde for protection and are soon helped by Sylvanas’ Deathguard, only for her to almost immediately turn around and blackmail them into sending troops to Northrend to fight her war with the Lich King or else lose all Deathguard protection and leave their lands nigh defenseless.

And prior to this, the BEs are saved from their fel addiction and the loss of Mu’ru by Velen of the Alliance, would actually reignited the Sunwell and cleansed it with the heart of the valiant Naaru. Again, the Alliance saved them, not the Horde.

Going in Cataclysm, the BEs begin becoming increasingly marginalized by Horde leadership under Garrosh. So much so that they actually begin considering a return to the Alliance fold. Unfortunately, Garrosh finds out about it and sabotages it by using the Dalaran portals to frame the Blood Elves for the theft of the Divine Bell, causing Jaina to go into a rage and expel them from Dalaran.

Admittedly, Jaina probably went a bit farther than she probably should have, but she was still suffering from significant post traumatic stress from the loss of Theramore from a previous Horde theft from Dalaran so she can’t entirely be blamed for taking such an aggressive step the second time it happened.

Still, the Blood Elves remained with the Horde over the fallout. Fast forward to BfA, and the BEs are once again under the control of a maniacal Warchief bent on a genocidal war that never should have happened and whose actions are once again making them question themselves.

Bottom line, the Horde has always been a chaotic mess whose shenanigans have continually thrust the BEs into conflicts they never asked for, in many cases against former friends who have no real quarrel with them personally.

The Horde only saved them once, and almost immediately used that fact to blackmail them into an untenable situation. The Alliance saved their entire race twice, including from the very faction they’re currently with, and possibly a third time given how they purified the Sunwell.

It just seems petty to keep using Garithos as an excuse when his actions clearly would never have been sanctioned by the actual Alliance leadership had they been aware of them. We’ve been friends through so much in the past and it just seems sad to keep throwing it away to remain with a faction who only ever seems to exploit them.

Inevitably, Sylvanas is going to do something stupid, again, and once again the BEs will be thrust into a conflict for their very existence at the hands of those who are supposed to be their friends.

Had the BEs actually rejoined the Alliance in Cataclysm, we would absolutely have rendered them protection against the Scourge as well as the livid Sylvanas and welcomed them with open arms and without prejudice.

84 Likes

Blood Elves joined the Horde for metagame reasons. In Vanilla there were VASTLY more Alliance players, and it was snowballing with the imbalance being something like 62/38 before BC. How would you have fixed that?

53 Likes

leans in Ogres

43 Likes

This is just from a philosophical standpoint. I understand why they were added to the Horde, I’m just saying why it would have made more sense to have returned to the Alliance.

17 Likes

leans in close Gurubashi Trolls

34 Likes

Don’t mind me, i’m just gonna watch the fireworks.

7 Likes

leans in even closer Naga

22 Likes

If you seriously think ogres, Gurubashi trolls, and naga put together would draw in as many players as Blood Elves, I have a bridge to sell you.

91 Likes

Well the Horde could have gotten nightborne and void elves.

6 Likes

Neither of which were introduced until Legion

14 Likes

No they shouldn’t have.

48 Likes

We are playing a “what if here” my point is, Blizzard could have pull up another “pretty race” from thin air to fill the ranks.

1 Like

Storywise, yes, the Alliance would’ve made more sense. I doubt the Blood Elves under Kael’thas would’ve been doing anything worse than the Void Elves are, and really, the Void Elves are more like the Blood Elves than the Blood Elves are these days. It’s kind of sad to think we could’ve had a darker Alliance many expansions sooner had Blizzard actually addressed the real issues the Horde had back in Vanilla, rather than going for the quick and easy solution.

I think they’ve written the story in such a manner so that, in the future when WoW ends, Quel’Thalas will return to the Alliance. It won’t be hard for another Garrosh/Garithos to arise from within the Horde itself to drive them out when gameplay doesn’t matter. Considering the Alliance canonically cleared the Sunwell Plateau and reignited the Sunwell, the Blood Elves have far too much reason to change loyalties.

For the duration of World of Warcraft, I wouldn’t expect Blood Elves to really change unless the faction system itself is drastically changed, and even then, that’s a toss up.

27 Likes

Blood elves are a great fit with the Horde (and shal’dorei, for that matter).

They toy with dangerous magic, attract demons, blow up their world, and if someone says something mean to them, they do something STUPIDLY MELODRAMATIC and irrevocable in response.

Nah, I’m kidding.

But for real, blood elves work well with the Horde. The remaining high elves work well with the Alliance.

And now there’s void elves, too.

24 Likes

No.

/sprays goat in the eyes using water mixed with chili powder

I love how Alliance posters use ignorance as a defense.

“Anduin didn’t know Genn would disobey him at Stormheim!”

“Anduin didn’t know Calia would freak out!”

“The Alliance thought the Horde betrayed them at the Broken Shore!”

“They thought Camp Taurajo was going to launch an attack!”

“The Alliance didn’t know a person high in the chain of command (a Grand Marshall) would end up being in command!”

And yet somehow, the Horde should know that Jaina and Genn are being more sympathetic in private conversations with Anduin…

Ignorance does not erase outcomes. With a track record of ignorance as a defense, I would be wary of the Alliance.

Tyrande would say the Alliance has not really proven that.

64 Likes

If they look good in Tmog and joke about needing a scrunchie, the draw would be stronger then Leia force flying in space.

1 Like

Alurna is that you? Cause lore doesn´t compute with this fanfic:

1. Most thalassian Elves happily gave the boot to the humans after using them in the Troll Wars -including the monarch. Anasterian literally send a token force in the Second War cause in his mind the obligation he had was in regards to the Arathor line NOT humanity per se-.

2. The only reason they participated full on in the war was because Alleria brought evidence of inminent danger to Quel´Thalas, had the Orcs not shown an interest in going North maybe only her and her corps would had been the ones to support the humans. Also, Ban´dinoriel resisted, so I don´t see how the humans “saved them from extinction” when elves had a Deux Ex to save themselves.

3. Uhh… it was a corrupt human the one that trily put them on the brink of extinction in trhe first place (I mean, Arthas… we as players know he was undead at the time, but for the character in-universe, he´s just a deranged corrupted human prince and monstruosity).

4. Garithos is NOT the only scapegoat that soured the relationship with the Alliance, it was the Alliance itself the one that soured the relationship (it was the negligence and moral decay of the Kirin Tor and Alliance aligned Dalaran, it was Nelves spying and acting hostile in Belf territory in TBC, it was political machination and spying from Ironforge in TBC, etc.)

“Sylvanas is NOT the Horde, she just happens to be it´s Warchief”

But they had awareness… Dalaran was STILL Alliance, and apparently they were A-ok with Garithos unlawfully plotting the murder of another “Alliance” head of state and his subjects A.K.A. Kael´thas & Co. This is literally told in Lor´s short story.

Sure, sure, cause TBC and all the events since the fall of Quel´Thalas to the raid in Sunwell Platea happened in the spawn of days, amrite?

Golden is that you?

Wrong, the Naaru itself was interested in “saving” the Belves -which bothers me after how the devious windchimes have been portrayed lately-, Velen just happened to detect it. Also, he did it by his own volition and under his own individual will, not in the name of the Alliance (the Horde PC saved the Exodar in Legion… does this means the Draenei own the Horde now?).

Belves were absent on Cata -heck, Lor´themar was one of the leaders that didn´t protest Garrosh machinations against Theramore at the time (I guess because previous to MoP, Belves were actually left alone to dealt with their stuff and not conscripted in battlegrounds)…

Lore disagrees… heck, when asked directly, Lor´themar explicitly says to Garrosh how the HORDE helped them when nobody else wantred to and that Belves will never forget the kindness (it´s in ToW).

RoFL, like the Alliance did regarding the War of Thorns and the burning of Teldrassil? Cause it that is what the Alliance offers, thanks but I think we will keep the Orcs as friends (they at least aren´t painfully slow to help “allies”).

52 Likes

I think they fit in well just fine with the Horde at the time they became members. Their closest geographical ally had just endured the same atrocity as them and was led by their former RG. They were destitute crackheads doing their best to just pick up the pieces of their fallen kingdom and survive.

Even if their inclusion in the Horde was for meta reasons, Blood Elves ended up fitting the Horde narrative to a ‘t’.

40 Likes

Kind of like how all the members of the horde have been ignoring the forsaken farming the people of southshore and hillsbrad for over three expacs. Or that Garrosh had theramore bombed. Not to mention the countless innocence the horde have killed since warcraft1. The list goes on. The horde have done far more villainous things over this game’s lifetime, but that is to be expected you are the true villains of warcraft.

11 Likes

Incorrect.

Most Horde posters will admit the Horde has done horrible things. I defend the Horde often, but I will not hide behind some “oops!” defense. I will defend it or condemn it.

I don’t see many Horde posters pretending that the Horde only did such actions because of “misunderstandings”. I see Horde posters either defend the actions on the merits (kill Alliance!) or condemn them as evil.

The Alliance posters, however, act as if by simply being ignorant, it absolves the Alliance of the consequences of their actions.

As evidenced by the OP.

Therein lies the difference. The Alliance just says “oops!” The don’t even say “oops! My bad!” They just say “oops!”, with no apology.

The fact that Anduin never made a public statement about Genn and Stormheim weighed on Saurfang’s mind. Had Anduin made an apology and recompense, that argument may not have had as much weight in Saurfang’s mind.

50 Likes