Blood Elf Shadowpriests aren't canon

Well, that is an opinion.

You are not entirely wrong. When Lor’themar began turning away from the Alliance and to the Horde instead, some Blood Elven citizens did begin to protest, as you can very well see in The Bazaar. So indeed, some Blood Elves would have joined the Alliance regardless of the actions of the Dwarves and Night Elves, but not the governing body of Silvermoon.

humans and their friends let Quel’thalas die when Terenas was unable to stop Arthas. It is perhaps the most stupid plot point that Exploring Azeroth established that there are still alliance sympathisers in Silvermoon. We have been on the team for 15 years. We should be diehard Horde loyalists by now.

Well, that is one way of looking at it. Personally I believe you are somewhat responsible for your own safety and can not expect everyone around you to always keep you safe. Could they have stopped Arthas? As far as the story is concerned, appearantly not.

Uther was close, but he ended up hesitating which resulted in his death, too bad.

But blaming Quel’thalas’ destruction on Lordaeron is silly. Lordaeron itself was destroyed before Arthas came to Quel’thalas.

It made sense in the beginning, but the plot of the Void Elves was stupid, yes.
The entire idea that High Elves would support the Alliance at all is ridicolous to me. It would make sense for them to be neutral, in order to avoid both the sucking magic out of living beings and being a part of the Horde, but seeing and knowing what the Alliance did to the Blood Elves should have had more of an impact.

1 Like

Anasterian joined the alliance because they promised mutual protection. But then they were destroyed from the inside by the heir of the leading kingdom. So it was clear that the elves need to find a new way.

We already had the high elves who followed Alleria. We didn’t need another break off group who put friends and husbands over their home nation. The entire blood elf lore looks stupid because instead of being independent like the plan of Kael originally was we are now being bullied into one of two of the major world powers.

Anasterian decided to pull the High Elves out of the Alliance after the second war, so I am not so sure about this.

To fight the orcs, yes. What we dealt with this time were citizens, not rangers. The Blood Elves going independent would also have been my choice. According to the story, this meant pulling out of the Ghostlands in order to keep what little of Quel’thalas they could, aka, Eversong Woods.

Lor’themar wanted to reclaim the entirety of Quel’thalas though, and for that he needed support from foreign nations. The Alliance betrayed them, and the Forsaken stood right there to help instead. Then we gotta wonder how the Blood Elves would then fare. Kael’thas would still eventually attack Quel’thalas in order to take M’uru and then go to Quel’danas to summon Kil’jaeden.

I doubt they will be able to repopulate the Ghostlands ever. They are still under attack by the Scourge and Amani and the Forsaken were forced out of Lordaeron in Bfa. Right now half the kingdom and their capital city are still not rebuild. Meanwhile Exodar is fully functioning again and the Draenei would be able to leave whenever they want. It seems Blizzard has forgotten the blood elves and all their story.

1 Like

If I remember right, Anasterian joined the Alliance begrudgingly because Lorthar demanded he honor the ancient pledge made between Thoradin and the high elves during the Troll Wars. Even then, he only sent a token force rather than the entire army because he really didn’t want to be a part of it.

2 Likes

By the time of Cataclysm the Blood Elves actually did not need the forsaken’s aid to keep the Ghostlands secured. The Sunfury had returned to the Blood Elven ranks, the most powerful of the Blood Elven military returned and their numbers increased. It is why Lor’themar dared be a little more daring in his talks with Sylvanas, he did not have to fear her pulling support out as he did back in Wrath of the Lich King, where she twisted his arm to have him send a force to Northrend right after the Blood Elven civil war.

We know what has happened in Quel’thalas. Blood Elves have control of Ghostlands and Eversong Woods with their own hands and the burning crystals are either gone or no longer used to trap demonic souls as hinted by Rommath back in Mists of Pandaria.

Much like with the draenei starting zone, the blood elven starting zone have also not been updated, that is correct. But we have been fed some information as to what should actually be portrayed in Quel’thalas but is not due to blizzard not going back to update Burning Crusade zones.

I hope you do not believe that Dar’khan Drathir is repeatedly returning with his head back in place.

Why even giving Blood elves the warlock class when all what we gained from Illidan was undone?

1 Like

Because every race will have individuals who do not care about what others think and will lust for power and thus they may just go warlock.

I liked the burning crystals. The idea that blood elves sucked on fel made them edgy and interesting. Now we are basially normal high elves with green eyes again and serve no purpose in the neutral plot since apart from the 90% population loss and the death of our royal dynasty everything else is back to normal pre scourge invasion.

1 Like

That’s not how it was portrayed, but your point makes sense.

In the Shadow of the Sun, Lor’themar approached the Eastern Plagueland’s lodge of High Elves to try to mend bridges. That’s when he mentioned the return of Kael’thas’ forces has made it easier to maintain Quel’Thalas, and that they could spare supplies to help the lodge.

Later, Sylvanas tells Lor’themar to get his people to Northrend, or else she’ll pull the Forsaken out of the Ghostlands. So, even with the remaining Sunfury having rejoined Quel’Thalas, the Blood Elves would be unable to hold the Ghostlands alone.

That is because you go on information from Lor’themar’s story: In the Shadow of the Sun, whereas I go on information from the Tides of War, where Lor’themar ignored any attempts from Sylvanas to garner his sympathies, she wanted him to back her up, but he denied her throughout the meeting with Garrosh.

The only way that could be construed, based on what happened in the story In the Shadow of the Sun, is that Sylvanas no longer had any means to twist Lor’themar’s arm. As you mentioned, we already learned that the Blood Elves had gotten manpower back as far back as before the war against the scourge began in earnest in Wrath of the Lich King. By the time of Cataclysm, it seems to have made sense that the Blood Elves are managing without support from the forsaken.

Lor’themar throughout Siege of Orgrimmar was also quite fond of threatening Sylvanas with final death. Clearly she had no leverage against him anylonger.

1 Like

Actually, Lor’themar’s calm in Tides of War corresponds to his secret talks with Varian Wrynn to have Quel’Thalas rejoin the Alliance. Basically, he had his out strategy in hand, and didn’t need to worry about currying favor with Sylvanas anymore. His attitude is also what provoked Garrosh’s suspicion and led to him discovering that the Blood Elves were preparing to abandon the Horde. That in turn led to Garrosh undermining those efforts with the events surrounding the Divine Bell.

In other words, for a few glorious months Garrosh went from the typical rock-eating thick-skulled Orc trope, into a cunning mastermind who puts OG Sylvanas to shame.

1 Like

So calm when he still could stand to lose support the Blood Elves so desperately needed?

We know Sylvanas have threatened to pull troops out before, in order to get what she wanted from Lor’themar. She would surely do it again. Of course, Lor’themar feared no retaliation from the Alliance, but if the Blood Elves so dearly required military aid still to keep a hold on the Ghostlands, surely he would be a little more diplomatic with Sylvanas.

I am well aware of the events. I just disagree on the notion that the Blood Elves still required military aid to keep Ghostlands by Cataclysm, there is no indication of that being the case all information considered. The only reason they were not at optimals levels in Wrath of the Lich King, was solely due to the civil war they had just been through. Troops were wounded, some had just returned home, their royalty was killed, relations most likely a little soured because not long ago the Sunfury were enemies.

And as you pointed out, it was stated that the Blood Elves, despite above challenges, could somewhat keep a better hold on Ghostlands, albeit still with some help from the forsaken.

They also no longer had to deal with amani or Night Elven invaders, leaving just the scourge remnants. So the Blood Elven numbers increased, and the amount of enemies (And their intelligence) decreased as well.

Still weird that there would be so many undead left in Ghostlands though, that Windrunner comic thing. I think the writers are still going off on what they see in game, which is just ridicolous.

1 Like

And Blizzard tried to state the difference between Garrosh & Sylvanas, was that Garrosh was an amateur … Idk about you, but the way things ended — It appeared that Garrosh had more solid footing on his plans than Sylvanas had.

That being said, on the other subject of the restoration of Quel’Thalas — I believe I recall a reference from Lor’themar being made “The rebuilding continues.” – Implying they’ve been rebuilding & restoring Quel’Thalas all this time, it’s just a slow & steady process.

Yes actually. In MoP, if you play the Dominance Offensive line — Lor’Themar was on the brink of joining the Alliance due to the disrespect Garrosh had faced against his people & using them as war-fodder.

The deal was only broken off, because Jaina went on a genocidal murder spree in Dalaran, to imprison all Sunreaver elves within the violet hold and murder all without mercy to those that refused.

When Varian was expressing how cheesed off he was, he explained it would had been a great boon against the Forsaken, and ultimately the Horde in the long run. Jaina was short-sighted in her rage, which cost them a great opportunity & advancement.

2 Likes

Well, remember, his talks were to have the Blood Elves rejoin the Alliance.

Something like support in the defense of Quel’Thalas, not just against the Horde’s retaliation but also domestic threats, probably would have been a big point. I mean, Lor’themar was negotiating from a position of power in this case. Quel’Thalas leaving the Horde and joining the Alliance would’ve marked the end of that entire war. The Forsaken would not have been able to withstand Alliance forces from north and south. The Eastern Kingdoms would’ve been completely lost to the Horde.

That in turn would mean the Alliance could focus all of it’s military power on Kalimdor.

That is, of course, assuming that Alliance ships and troops could just pass undetected to Quel’thalas to provide that required military aide. Night Elves did manage though.

No, I do not think Lor’themar would have been so lax had the Blood Elves not had the ressources to now hold the Ghostlands without forsaken aid. They even had the manpower to spare to move to the thunder isle, without having to worry too much about the ghostlands.

And as was mentioned, In the Shadow of the Sun did establish that the Blood Elves did have a better grasp of the Ghostlands at the time, and Lor’themar cited the only reason to deny Sylvanas’ request was that they had just come out of a civil war, so troops were clearly not ready to push out at that time. This obviously would change after some time.

1 Like

You’re ignoring the fact that despite the addition of the surviving Sunfury, the Blood Elves would still not have been able to hold the Ghostlands without the Forsaken. Rommath even said to Lor’themar, “So what? Let the Ghostlands go!”

Yes, that was In the Shadow of the Sun, right before Wrath of the Lich King.

Years go by, and it is clear that the Blood Elves were managing without aid from the forsaken at the time of Cataclysm and then of course to current time.

1 Like