Blizzard wants to get rid of bots

Not dense enough to know the last time blizzard reported there ban wave on people they did not later need to roll back was June. SE does that every month. So literally not the same thing otherwise we would see that post ever month from blizzard.

Cute stellar reference though.

SE bans 4000 people a month. Blizzard ANNOUNCES ban waves of 70-100k people a couple times a year (and that’s not including all the smaller bans in between.) Surely you can math that out.

Get outta here with your logic. This is raw feelings and rabble rousing only sir.

2 Likes

Even on the aggregate that banning more people less often is near the same relative numbers as banning less people monthly. The idea that botters get to sit around for months (at this point over 6 since the last announced ban wave that did not catch people like the one in Nov) has FAR worse implications to the game than banning them monthly.

Did you just miss his post or what? I dont really see how… Its all blue, gold, shiny and everything

Ignoring the condescending attitude of your post. I have read that and if you want to get into the touchy feely side of how people perceive things thats far easier to look at.

People do not FEEL that blizzard is doing enough they can say they ban X number of people a day and we never know, and i bet its true that they do ban lots of people and we never see it. What would be better is for blizzard to TELL people they did that. Are you going to get the posts that point out that grpemkb is still in strath? Yes. However, people will see blizzard is being more proactive which, when it comes to this whole perception issue of rampant bots would probably be more helpful than a blue post saying they ban people.

Thats not even a hard thing to have the tech team automate a report and have it sent to a CM or even send it to the news feed for the month. Blizzard is losing a PR battle over something they could put a better spin on by being more transparent.

Yes, this I agree with. Blizzard has always failed at communicating and I’m not entirely sure why. It could be that they just don’t see a reason to, because people will believe whatever they want, regardless of how transparent Blizzard is.

2 Likes

Yea I mean… I dont trade in feelings. I guaran-darn-tee you million dollar companies dont.

I’ll give you that. And just in general I think they’re dropping the ball on communication with Classic… Even if its just things like hyping the content releases which should be a no-brainer. But also… would it really make a difference? That post from SE was full of people complaining anyway… No one really seemed that placated by a monthly announcement vs a quarterly one. People want want they want and they want it now, regardless of feasibility,

1 Like

You will for sure always have people that are going to complain that -Insert Company- is not doing enough against botters/RMT. I would like to see blizzard doing more. That being said they are by far better than some other MMOs that i have come across in dealing with hackers and bots.

1 Like

But it’s the consumer that has created the problem though. Mostly…

In reality, I’ve just opted out of the Herb farming market on my toon since Black Lotus is scarce to the point of un-farmable. I can’t compete with the Hunter who sits in Silithus for 24 hours spamming Eagle Eye. I can’t compete with the person who owns five accounts, has five mages, and repeatedly farms Dire Maul and Stratholme.

I’ve since joined a guild that doesn’t really care too much about consumables or world buffs and have continued playing from there. It’s tough at times, but doable.

Ultimately, I don’t see botting as being Blizzard at fault here. Players are to blame and because of that, I refuse to play or even interact with folks who built their entire egos on GDKP and Boosting.

This is exactly right. Blizzard isn’t responsible for players engaged in RMT. If players really wanted bots gone, then players would opt out of the gold-buying market. The presence of bots doesn’t show me Blizzard isn’t doing their job so much as it shows me there’s still a lot of players who want to pay to win the game (even if it hurts the community in the long run).

There’s no profit for the people making bots if the gold they collect isn’t being bought.

1 Like

Unfortunately, fighting bots requires manpower. This is something Blizzard had made quite clear they are unwilling to invest in, even if Classic is generating millions of dollars of revenue per month.

To me, the clear giveaway that they really don’t care is that aren’t even letting the community self-moderate.

RuneScape has been wildly successful with Player Moderators, who are trusted members of the community with access to some GM tools. They can ban bots and reset stuck NPCs, things like that. There is no reason why this isn’t implemented in Classic WoW.

1 Like

You’re suggesting game developers aren’t responsible for preventing cheating in their games, which is absurd. Imagine if every shooter had rampant aimbotting with nothing being done about it. Only Blizzard gets a pass from its drone fanbase.

2 Likes

I’ll play into your fantasy. Say Blizzard is this big and giant greedy company that wants our money. Why in the hell would they want the Bot Companies to have money, too? Wouldn’t Blizz not want money to be given to other companies but them? Wouldn’t an evil and greedy corporation want all the money to go to them and no other company? Why would any evil and greedy corporation work with any other company and split their cost? That doesn’t make any sense :thinking:

Well said.

Why wouldn’t they be? That’s the only use of massive faceless monolithic corporation that delivers as little as possible while charging as much as they can get away with.

The PRIDE of development and the human element left Blizzard in July 2008, and those days are long behind us.

2 Likes

Well, that’s the main issue, they are trying to automate everything. Having automatic anticheat tools is always good, but you need to pair it up with active GM surveillance that can ban on the spot.

To be fair, it really isn’t hard for someone with GM powers to find out if someone is botting, I’ve seen it done by multiple GM’s in PServers and I’m positive Blizzard used to have GM’s actively probing suspicious characters back in vanilla but not anymore, now you don’t even give live GM’s for regular game support.

1 Like

Because they have listened to feedback from the players. If they didn’t care about what we’ve wanted, they wouldn’t have adapted WoW to fit with the feedback of its players. There’s a reason why the Standard Game is still going strong even after 15 years. IK some (not all) want to grasp at straws and claim that it’s “dying” because it went from 12mil down to 5mil. Despite all of that, 5mil is still not a small number. It’s pretty significant especially for a 15 year old game.

To be fair to ALL businesses, they have to make money in order to maintain. Their (all businesses) services aren’t for free. It costs to utilize.

IK that’s what some (not all) like to believe. I’ll agree to disagree. There’s a lot about the standard game that I do like, but there are things in Classic that I like that the standard game does not have. It’s OK to like both and be in favor in what Blizz puts out there.