Blizzard trying to villainize Tyrande

Arthas : Is my story from WoW or a previous game?

Who said I didn’t like the story? The horde story was great. The alliance story didn’t exist.

1 Like

That’s a very small definition of evil though. Tyrande has so far been written as someone who puts service to her people above all else until BFA. Now she’s just going to go all out on this new trend and be all about herself? That’s just a sad use of the character that has been criminally under and misused throughout WoW lifespan. I understand her people being vengeful and their right to that but she as their leader needs to find what’s best for them. Getting more of them killed while she’s gotten a powerup seems so selfish in the extreme to me. Why can’t Elune bless all the night elves that she so didn’t forsake like she did during war of the thorns? And if Elune’s light is to ever show again how can an evil Tyrande be anywhere in that equation?

I do expect the worse but god it gets so frustrating when its under utilized characters that get trashed while we have to put up with over exposed ones get even more trashed. Its like that feeling I had when they killed Admiral Taylor off screen. Ever since then I’m just numb to Blizzard’s treatment of characters but it still hurts a little.

What was great about the Horde story? The predictable outcome? The rehash of the same story theme from MoP? Horde leaders caring more about the Alliance than the Horde? Seeing multiple Horde characters having their identity ruined?

5 Likes

You missed one small point I made. I didn’t say “the Alliance”, I said the NEs and Worgen. IE the two groups that are being staged to likely continue the war over the protests of the rest of the Alliance. So if you were to destroy SW, then that would be the Horde breaking their “peace agreement” and starting another war.

We could also get a Germany situation with the Horde where they’re completely and totally castrated by the Alliance after the war (economically sanctioned, severely restricted, decreased military, etc), they get pissed and grow to resent the Alliance, and then rise up again to start another war to regain their former glory and shake off the shackles of the Alliance.

Anduin won’t do that too he’s too much of a lil b*tch.

Arthas: Well there is that Wrath of thing I did. And technically the goblin said ALLIANCE character and didn’t specific when or what I would go rouge in…

1 Like

Wait–Alliance city gets blown up? We’re no longer counting Teldrassil?

…Or Theramore?

Southshore?

Brennadam, anyone?

If you want to get technical, while she isn’t Alliance, Yrel was the Alliance related NPC in WoD, who went crazy because…Blizzard felt like it? Little to no setup? Total 180 on her character because Blizzard ran out of ideas? She’s not the High King, but she is an Alliance associated character of note that went crazy.

I don’t know if Mechatorque even counts, but he got dusted, or at least cyro frozen and unknown if we’ll see him again. He may not be an important
Alliance leader, but let’s be real…outside of a couple of the faction leaders, Blizzard doesn’t give that much love or attention to Alliance characters.

…While we’re at it, can we get 3-4 CGI cinematics that focus on Jaina, Genn, or whoever? You know…not unlike the Saurfang videos? You mentioned equity, after all.

8 Likes

yeah they didnt give tyrande a whole questline for nightelfs they gave sweet black eye customization. that jaina questline was non existent, they definetly didnt give alliance the story of stealing the Scepter of the tides from the horde or the heart breaking story of grong losing his mind from gnomish tech. there was no story created when anduin told tyrande that they couldn’t help retake darkshore after the horde attack which in turn had tyrande ignoring his requests for help.

just because you chose to ignore story doesn’t mean its non-existant.

3 Likes

isn’t this kinda what created the new horde with Thrall in charge?

1 Like

When you said “you guys wouldn’t accept it either”, to me, that carried an implication that the scenario I should be imagining should be equal to the scenario of what happened with Tyrande.

Your extra stipulations chance the scenario completely, so that its not even based in what actually happened.

In the conversation you jumped into while clearly not paying attention, it was asked how the Horde would like it if things had been reversed. Or would be reversed. That is…the Alliance attacking a Horde city much the same way Teldrassil was attacked and burned down.

My counter is that it would mean a playable Alliance city would also be sacrificed.

Theramore, Southhore, Brennadam are irrelevant.

I am completely fine with that.

But please read all of discussion next time. :wink:

I feel like Sylvanas does what she does to give the Alliance something to do.

1 Like

And because of that we got world war 2. Holding WWI up as a paragon of post war management isn’t going to get much air under it. Europe collectively decided afterwards that maybe they should try something else. That’s where I see Blizzard now with their environment. Too many people are playing a single player game in their head canon and want the kind of destruction meted out on the other side that would make it unplayable for those players.

5 Likes

I think that’s a pretty fair comparison, yeah. Thrall led the new Horde back to glory and independence from the shackles of Lordaeron after they were defeated in the Second War, so yeah - good comp.

1 Like

The villain of one community is sometimes simultaneously the hero of another.

Tyrande was always this way, until they made her crazy in love in Legion.

Like, in WC3 she killed wardens to set war criminal free

Alliance had character stories, and they were good. Pride of Kul Tiras was a joy to experience, and I enjoyed what I saw of Tyrande’s story, too.

But I get what he’s saying. There are flashes of brilliance, but no cohesive narrative unlike what the Horde gets xpac after xpac.

Honestly, it makes me think of the Warcraft movie. You see moments with the Alliance characters, but scenes felt like they were cut to make the theatrical release, and most of them were Alliance side, whereas the Horde got a full storyline.

Also you can’t deny the Horde got more production values. Saurfang got a ton of fancy cinematics. The Alliance one…was mostly about Saurfang. lol

2 Likes

How can you say that with a straight face right after legion where horde weren’t even present for most of it.

1 Like

mind telling me what that was in legion? we had one story in stormhiem with sylvanas and genn

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. My point was not that the Treaty of Versailles worked, but to cite a real world example that illustrates how a foreign power can leverage another nation when it has acted in a way deemed costly to other nations, or the world at large.

The Horde gets a free pass on so many atrocities that it’s practically Mary Sue levels of absurd.

1 Like