Blizzard TOS on Addon

Has the TOS on Addon development change? If I remember correctly addons must be distributed free of charge and developers could not create a “premium” version or request payment for additional features… Yet the creator of Mythic Dungeon Tools just pushed an update that removed all previous routes and %s and is now requesting subscriptions or Patreon for the full working addon…

The MDT version without payment is nothing but a husk.

6 Likes

That developer is trying to steal money from Blizzard and ruin WoW! People see a great, pay-to-play game like this one and think the micro-transactions are gone. And they see this nonsense and unsub! Unacceptable!

Don’t install add-ones from thieves, friends!

2 Likes

Yeah, if Blizzard allows these types of add-ons, I’m gone for good. Optional payment is fine. Required payment to use a tool that people are going to expect you to have? And that payment isn’t even going to Blizzard? Ridiculous.

2 Likes

As far as I know

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ui-add-on-development-policy/24534

Is still accurate

2 Likes

LOTS of add on been doing this, by getting around a loop hole. Zygor guides is one that comes to mind and few others.

1 Like

this part Kaurmine

3 Likes

Lots of addons for pay features, it’s not a problem until the wrong dev comes along and tries to do it and Blizzard cracks down. Maybe it will be MDT :man_shrugging:

Let’s see how Blizzard responds to this violation, in the meantime… Any other options for MDT?

I didn’t provide a quote I linked the page, what is showing is just what it decided to show lol

1 Like

You can’t use Zygor guides unless you pay, sure you get free version but it is only 10 - 20 levels

good i was hoping we’d have more threads about this

Yeah I remember Zygor from back in the day :rofl: And let’s not forget Tycoon, but not enough people care about those so there aren’t enough waves to make Blizz care.
Let DBM or BigWigs go to a mostly premium model and I bet Blizz would act.

Man the Karen’s are up in arms about this. Don’t like it don’t use it. If it’s tos, report it. Who cares so much they have to come crying to the boards about it.

There discord, Mythic Dungeon Tools is being blown up atm LOL

My understanding with this is that the addon itself is free.

They charge for the database package that plugs into it.

Sneaky, but so far Blizzard has not gotten involved. I have opinions about that… I think it set a bad precedent.

Nybs is 100% right though, charging for addons is prohibited. VOLUNTARY donations are fine. For example DBM has never ever charged despite millions and millions of downloads. You can however donate to the developer if you want (please consider doing so if you use an addon a lot).

The policy Nybs quoted here is the valid one.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/blizzard-tos-on-addon/797705/6

Imagine paying for that

1 Like

This is how you fight :slight_smile:

I was unaware of the change because I don’t use the addon, but now I know and I’ll probably mention it to other people and they’ll know and the same for anyone else who stumbles across this thread.

1 Like

Exactly this, but without said database guides are useless. That’s the loop hole.

Except that said, “loophole” is covered by the guideline in this section here:

Access to the database is exactly that, a service related to the add-on, and as such, charging for it is a violation.

1 Like

Because there are so many addon developers (wow players) who make these addons and require you to either be a sub, patreon sub, follower, or anything similar in order to get the extra features. there are also those weak aura strings that people put up for download only to twitch subs and similar but that’s ok cause has nothing to do with the actual addon, and only has to do to the final appearance and settings which anyone could deconstruct with a bit of time and patience so to make it look and act the very same.