Blizzard’s LGBT representation sucks

Can I add my final list note? You can decide the relevance yourself.

IF some states/countries/have nations with age of consent that you should consider…?

People who say: Age of consent is X in some country, please respect it!!
People who say: Age of consent in our country is Y, please also respect it?

Consider that the reverse must be true. If you consider the lowest entry and respect it, please respect the largest entry…

I’m not talking about age of consent though? I think you replied to the wrong person.

Entirely possible.

Let the record show I arbitrarily replied to Orayo when I replied my hot take.

Man these new forums are wild, step away for a few hours to do some work and you get 25 notifications.

I hereby make this final decree. Cough cough

J X A FOREVER YOU BLIZZARDY COWARDS!

1 Like

Like… I think I already said I’m uncomfortable with a Baine/Anduin pairing. If that wasn’t clear, I’ll just say it here: I’m uncomfortable with it. If that’s your OTP, excellent, but I’m not feeling it.

I propose Neri Sharpfin get a girlfriend!
The Nazjatar Gilgoblins have all had sad lives, let Neri be happy ;_;

3 Likes

A while back, we were having discussions over the plot of the game. Like ending the faction war. And someone pointed out that the writers didn’t seem comfortable writing red vs blue. Nothing with personal hang ups, they just weren’t good at it in a creative sense. And I 100% agree with the point made in the OP post, that all romances are ridiculously cringe in this game.

The fact that at the end of Legion they tried to keep ANY sense of Illidan’s romantic feelings for Tyrande proves it. They’re not technically a couple, but their ‘story’ is like the background to one of those friend-turned-murderer documentaries. And Blizzard has done smaller storylines like that in the past (one person’s one-sided feelings), and they’ve been great. But they’ve been treated as horrific instances where someone’s selfish wants end up causing a ridiculous amount of harm. Not an obscene glorification of obsession.

Not this ‘genuine’ romance bull pokey of ‘I will always love you even if you don’t love me’… Which is stupidly damaging, especially when you have younger, impressionable players. I get angry about how romance is portrayed in media for young adults in general, and won’t rant about it anymore because the grandpa in me can go on about it for years.

I don’t think I would be unhappy if Blizzard didn’t write romances in their game anymore. I think the last, genuine piece of romantic emotion they succeeded at portraying was during Grommash’s WoD animatic where he’s faced with… You know. The situation involving his mate/Garrosh’s mother. Won’t spoil it, it’s gorgeous, you should go watch it if you haven’t already. And there’s truly not that much romantic context, it’s more of a moral/emotional situation. But it WORKS. It’s believable.

There is no believable or satisfying romantic interaction in Legion, and this Sylvanas/Nathanos thing is just… Creepy. I know it’s self-insert fanfiction but it’s creepy. It’s weird. It’s so weird. And I think it would be better left out of the game entirely if it can’t be done properly. That’s NOT to say LGBT shouldn’t be included. It’s to say that if Blizzard perpetuates the level of irresponsibility and lack of awareness they’ve had FOR YEARS when it comes to writing romances then they shouldn’t do it at all.

Either that, or get someone in there that knows what they’re doing. Not someone that’s going to make it ‘omgsocute’ or ‘omgsotragicluv’ for the sake of making it… That. Get a storyteller in there that understands people.

(I’m serious, you guys, how romance is handled in a majority of modern, popular media legitimately angers me.)

5 Likes

I think the typical case with Blizzard is they do side quests’ writing pretty well, but when it comes to main characters and the main plot, they really drop the ball. This extends, in my opinion, to relationships as well. Probably because the people writing these side quests aren’t required to follow the narrative vision of people who aren’t really writers.

I personally feel like romance should be left SOLELY for these side quests, where their writers can just make a cute couple for people to adore. No more watching manufactured characters being thrown at existing main characters just so they can have a romance.

And of course, I would argue this should include more LGBT+ representation. I’m aware there are a few already in some quest lines, but it’s pretty vague. Just do something cut and dry. Have a guy refer to his husband, or a lady refer to her wife.

On another train of thought, I really do agree with Rebecka (I was writing at the same time as you but I did just read what you posted ;P). I just want… real romance. Not this undying fidelity stuff or whatever that always comes out of it.

I would rather watch two people become friends and slowly, over the course of much time, find that they’re more than just fond of one another. That is sort of my opinion, but it still stands. Slow things down, let it develop naturally instead of two characters existing and then suddenly they’re dating in a lore book no one reads.

I know this conflicts with my idea that those side quest characters should be introduced firmly as lovers, but the above paragraph more applies to main characters if they really have to do romance with them. Take it slow. Make it natural. And yes, get someone who actually knows what they’re doing in there.

3 Likes

Welcome to Wyrmrest Accord please tell us about your RP character

2 Likes

Anduin should not be married to anyone because Anduin does not deserve to be happy.

6 Likes

Man, I didn’t even think Admiral Rogers ordering that was that big of a deal.

She was sent to win a war. She did that. If a Horde leader had done that, we’d all just shrug and add it to the tally of heinous crimes they’d done.

But the meltdown from player reactions that ensued proved that we’ve all internalized the higher moral standard that the Alliance reflects and also that we were all so unused to the Alliance fighting back that even a tiny reprisal was considered lunacy.

5 Likes

hello i am gay and i think blizzard sucks

10 Likes

I was sent to win a war

I thought Admiral Rogers was in the wrong but honestly it was just nice to see someone do something bad and not be a result of corruption or being driven insane. She was just vengeful and not willing to take chances.

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/9Sx6y0H.png

2 Likes

Anduin deserves to be happy 2k20

You’re talking about Anduin Lothar, raised as a forsaken right? He, more than anyone else, deserves to be happy. Guy went through some crazy shenanigans

Because what? He told the leader of a race that was recently the victim of genocide to relax, peace is preferable than holding the perpetrator accountable? Because he failed tremendously in protecting and uplifting his oldest and wisest allies in favor of… making a deal with an orc? Because sometimes he has a button nose and sometimes he has an aquiline nose?

Anduin needs a kick in the butt or he needs to get out of the way. These are adult issues.

5 Likes

I’ve got a few opinions on the adults at 12 or adults at 13 shenanigans to make it a little less weird af. Namely, consider that most hunter/gatherer societies tend to define adulthood as self-sufficiency, which is what Om’riggor is. You go and show you -can- be self reliant by hunting with nothing but a weapon and living.

Om’riggor can be undertaken at 12 -at the earliest age-. Durotan can probably be considered an outlier because he was an all around unit of a lad. It’s just orcs typically grow very large very quickly. In reality, now that orcs have more modern living conditions, they probably have a similar age of adulthood as humans. It’s just their teenagers get really freaking swole.

As for Anduin being happy: Well, I don’t know how to ping more than one person on these forums. But this isn’t exactly a zero sum game. Most leaders have done some tremendously dumb thing at one point in their tenure as a character. Malfurion got Ysera killed by not recognizing the Nightmare, a thing he fought for 10,000 years. Anduin made a kind of rookie mistake as a young king. He played his cards closer to his chest and fought on local wars where he had overland routes instead of sailing across an entire ocean and leaving the entire Eastern Kingdoms exposed. Tyrande’s Night Warrior gambit was not on the table, so trying to take Darkshore while defending the rest of the continent would really stretch him thin. Most of the Alliance leaders seemed to agree. It’s not unprecedented to focus your resources on more attainable goals. Darkshore was lost, but the territories under threat, Arathi, Kul Tiras, etcetera, were still contested. Rather than open another front, he dedicated resources to ending existing conflicts.

We can say he deserves to suffer because he made a kinda believable political decision, or he can be Blizzard’s first canonical bisexual icon :gun: