Blizzard Raising Open World Ilvl from 246 to 252 - Casuals Rejoice

Yep, pretty much.

This has nothing to do with abilities. I used to raid a lot, but setting aside hours a week to run a raid isn’t something that really works in modern gaming for a lot of people.

Even then, the game should not put too much stock into content exclusive to certain skill levels in order to get something worthwhile out of it.

Games like FFXIV handle this really well by including the badge system that a lot of people have been asking for from this game forever, that they refuse to implement. WoW’s just behind the rest of the market at the moment.

This isn’t saying I’m not having fun. I wouldn’t be subscribed if I weren’t having fun. It’s just this current reward design makes a lot of the more casual content rather worthless, unless you like the current xmogs that drop from these things, which definitely haven’t been Shadowlands’s strength. Perhaps the addition of tier will change that.

I still enjoy WoW, but it’s the least accessible-feeling game I play currently. Between the plateau you have to reach to get any sort of quality out of your time and the toxic people like the person I’m replying to who like to tout “bad player” at others because they don’t play the game the same way, it’s a wonder this thing isn’t doing so well.

4 Likes

Solo players - We want meaningful character progression.

Also Solo players - I just want max ilvl loot, and don’t want to work for it.

1 Like

I base it on contextualizing the information surrounding the game. I don’t have subscription numbers that are irrefutable, but what I do have is this:

A plethora of content creators abandoning the game because of its direction, or expressing their discontent with its direction.

A decrease in viewership on Twitch (the game used to average 35k and now routinely sits around 25k, if not around 17k in some spots).

Blizzard’s desperate attempt at framing patches as a “direct response to player feedback”, something they’ve never done prior, and something they’re probably doing to save face.

Blizzard having to make statements about the state of the game and player dissatisfaction.

9.3 being scrapped because Shadowlands was an abysmal expansion that performed well initially, only to have its player engagement decrease by 40% two months after its release, which isn’t good for any live-service game, no matter how much you want to justify it.

And lastly, the massive boom in growth over at FFXIV, which is so popular that they had to give out free game time to players because of the lengthy queues, and had to halt sales of the recent expansion because it was performing so well.

Wrath of the Lich King touted twelve million subscribers, which is still unheard of for an MMO to this day.

Shadowlands touts a very small fraction of that number. Just because you’ve heard that for years doesn’t somehow negate it right now, because everything surrounding WoW currently points to it fading to obscurity if something doesn’t change. There are games that have died for less, and it’s only because of WoW’s legacy that it has remained, but even that can only go so far. Context matters.

Simply put, WoW is the least casual-friendly game right now when stacked against other games. This whole “go play another game if that’s what you want!” is completely ignorant of how markets shift and trends change. If Blizzard wants WoW to stay relevant, then compromises need to be made. Phil Spencer wants more players playing WoW. The only way to do that is by designing a game that caters to everyone, not just a select number.

2 Likes

Solo players - We want meaningful character progression that doesn’t infringe on the character progression obtained in raids and M+. Here’s how we can do that.

Raiders - “LOl casUALS waNT HanDoUTs”

9 Likes

FFXIV has a “content drought” a month after a major patch drops. It’s hard for me to take it seriously as a game that WoW should ape.

Heck, FFXIV itself tells its fans to go play other games every so often. If you told WoW players its okay to unsub from the game as if to encourage them to take a break and that it was their fault for running out of things to do, they would lose their minds, because WoW has been so dominant that it has been possible to play just WoW for 17+ years.

Okay, you’ve got open-world, and you’ve got LFR. Which do you think should have higher ilvl? Any answer you make is the wrong answer because it makes the other one worse, and if they’re the same ilvl, LFR is worse because open-world is more accessible. One is worse than the other, and because you don’t play for fun, and you only play for loot, one is always “worth”.

You need to step back and think rationally and admit that it’s okay for LFR to be worthless. Because that’s really the truth. It’s okay for LFr to be worthless because it already derives its worth from acting as a tourist feature. It doesn’t need to be the source of loot, because if LFR gave better loot and had its own intrinsic worth as a tourist mode, it would invalidate the open-world.

It kind of does though. There isn’t 12 million people who are just sitting on a bench waiting to play WoW if WoW does X. That’s not how it works. The market has changed. You can make excuses as to why we should use that 12 million but Blizzard doesn’t and their investors don’t either. You’re simply wrong and trying to port wrong-think into the conversation because you can’t really argue your point otherwise.

4 Likes

I didn’t insinuate that there was, but the general trend of how games work is that people leave, and more people come in. I don’t expect the same twelve million people to be playing WoW today. I don’t expect there to be twelve million people in general playing, but you should be bringing in new players to compensate for the ones leaving, or to at least mitigate the loss in growth so that it’s not substantial.

League of Legends still retains 10 million active daily users. It’s 14 years old.

If you were a board member for a massive company whose game’s subscription numbers decreased significantly, and all you did was shrug about it, you’d be fired on the spot.

Says the guy whose argument boils down to “lol casual players bad” because his ego is intrinsic to his precious AotC achievement.

And anyone who plays FFXIV would tell you that the game doesn’t need consistent updates to keep players engaged, because unlike WoW, Square Enix actually invests in parts of the game beyond dungeons and raiding.

4 Likes

Anything that provides alternative methods of gearing is good. it should not be raid/keys/arena or bust. The original concept of Torghast they talked about sounded like it would have been that: scaling endgame content with progression for the solo/duo/small group players e.g. imagine a player who only plays with their spouse or kids and doesn’t want to involve strangers.

This demographic, the one that wants a MMORPG in the sense they can see a world alive with other players but aren’t necessarily required to engage with them, has been almost completely ignored in favour of a system that listens to the small minority who want to feel better than their peers. It’s quite telling that the people who think the current system is great are the ones who directly benefit from it and have no problem doing it while the people who have it do not and get shouted down/insulted (“you’re just bad” or selfish “it’s not job to help scrubs” type replies) by the former.

It’s fine if the gear takes time for the people only engaging in open world content. Nobody is asking for it to be as fast as raiding/keys, despite the constant straw man argument from the tryhards about “casuals want free loot” . It needs to feel meaningful to people doing it, however, and not like doing chores to save enough allowance to buy something.

5 Likes

Sounds great.

Your “solo player” peers didn’t want that though. They shouted it down and had it nerfed to oblivion.

Maybe we could be living in a world where Torghast in 9.2 was a great solo progression like Visions of N’Zoth, but we don’t live in that world because the most vocal solo players have demanded that solo gearing be stress-free, easy, and something they can abandon at any time and only engage with for as little time segment as possible - which has led to solo content mostly taking the form of the same Timeless Isle / Korthia / Zereth Mortis style grinds over and over and over, because it’s the design that checks those boxes.

1 Like

Nah, no solo player has come out with a meaningful argument at all.
Its been just “we want higher ilvl to solo rares and do old raids” while being given normal/better than normal raid ilvl loot, for doing dailies.

Thats the’s the absolute defintion of

The game has never been this casual friendly (outside of the awful SL pvp gearing system), and yet casuals still whine.

Vanilla - Epics only came from raids/PvP/exalted rep rewards which didnt give out every slot
TBC/WotLK - Epics were slightly easier to get, due to Justice/Valor but otherwise the same, and the odd exalted rep rewards
Cata - introduction of LFR lol (along with still having Justice/Valor) but otherwise still same
MoP/WoD - See above.
Legion - Same, minus Artifact weapons (which scaled with Relics, and Epics were from gasp raids/mythic plus)
BFA - Benthic gear lol

Then we have SL
Korthia gear being 233 ilvl after upgrades (while normal Sanctum, the current raid tier gives 226 ilvl and Heroic is only 239).
Literally 6 ilvls behind heroic content… for doing dailies, killing rares and looting chests…
Unbelieveable

So yeah, explain to me again, how SL is super solo/casual unfriendly, and doesn’t have a “solo” player progression method…

Lmao

4 Likes

I think they should, dare I say, bring back “Titan Forging”.

**runs and hides

3 Likes

I’ve actually said multiple times that perhaps gearing for solo content be significantly slower, capped out at heroic raid-level gear, and have the gear rewards in heroic raids have higher drop rates. Raiders get the gear faster, solo players still get the gear but it takes longer.

Seems reasonable to me.

And a quite a few BiS items came from outside raids, so solo and casual players still had the chance to get great gear instead of average gear.

Also, I’ve also countered this argument by saying that the power gap between pre-raid gear and raid gear in Vanilla/TBC/WotLK wasn’t as significant as it is today due to a lack of multiple difficulties. Blizzard has done extremely little compensating for that power gap with today’s game.

But even so, saying it’s been like this for forever is irrelevant to me, because my entire argument to begin with is that it should change. So pointing out to me WoW’s history is a tired argument.

3 Likes

Hahahaha
No.

Queue up.

K O R T H I A G E A R
Is literally better than normal raid tier… and 6 ilvls behind heroic.

You’re like a starving man being given a free burger for nothing, and then complaining its not a Big Mac.

1 Like

No, no I don’t think I will.

2 Likes

And it should be equal to heroic.

Why?

1 Like

Yes you certainly do.
Embarrassing.
You’re not even in korthia gear yet, and complaining that you can’t get heroic ilvl gear.
Do you even play this game, or just whine on forums?

Not really.

Stay mad.

3 Likes

I’m not the one crying on the forums that I’m not being rewarded end game gear, for doing literally WoW chores lmao.

Stay bad

Certainly seems like it.

You haven’t even cleared SoD on heroic, never mind normal, and your highest key is 11 timed at 50 minutes.

How embarrassing for you.

4 Likes