Blizzard raised sub prices for Ukraine and Turkey. Are we next?

How flippin stupid do you have to be to raise prices in Ukraine given how many people are outspokenly against the war?

Excluding any “politics” it’s like ABK craves bad press.

15 Likes

It’s ABK. Pretty dang stupid is what they do best.

15 Likes

Sounds to me like an automatic adjustment for currency exchange that was put in for by money pushers who apparently haven’t turned on the news for two years, and then it made it to “live” without anyone with more sense looking at or approving it.

Just bureaucracy in motion. Never attribute to malice what can be better explained by stupidity.

14 Likes

World politics aside, we are, quite honestly, way overdue for a sub price increase. Everything around the world is more expensive but the sub price has stayed the same all these years. It’s great like that but unrealistic to think it’ll last forever.

I do think it’ll be quite a reckoning when it does come though and it’ll likely be a sub increase + perks to soften the blow…something like sub price + 1 free character race swap per month (since digital transactions are just free to them as is).

1 Like

LOL this was my first thought! People of Ukraine, are some of you trying to escape the terrors of war occasionally by diving into Azeroth? We’re thrilled we can be a part of some stress relief and escape for you.

Also, price is going up.

Maybe I just lack business savvy, but I think I would have raised the price everywhere else but, if for no other reason than optics… but maybe our favorite trade prince is winding up something pro-Kremlin to follow this one up with, in addition to his other provoking thought pieces recently.

5 Likes

If you convert what they are paying for 60 day sub into US dollars, it’s less than what we pay (even after the new price update)

We pay $30 for 60 day sub
They pay $20-27 for 60 day sub
(after conversion)

4 Likes

Turns out Blizzard is actually Russia.

We’re the bad guys!

1 Like

Just a matter of time before we Canadians see another rise and other spots. I doubt they’ll touch the US for a long while. I can’t see it help people who are on the fence already to justify paying.

I barely get by on wow tokens, I couldn’t justify paying for this in CAD. Rather put that to an already growing food prices, and inflation here.

3 Likes

Why not both?

2 Likes

This is funny. It’s actually hilarious. Tell the world get the word out! March in the streets! Nobody cares except the players

4 Likes

Were it any other company, I’d say that they would want to avoid bad press. But big or small, bad press is apparently something Blizzard loves. The “word” probably got out the moment this article hit WoWhead.

2 Likes

Attention is attention. Press is attention. Attention brings new players. Blizzard understands branding and marketing.

I don’t think you understand how this works.

5 Likes

Yes it will happen.

This is my theme song at work.

:cookie:

4 Likes

I think it’s very tone deaf of them to do this. The miniscule amount of money they are going to make from this isn’t worth it. In fact I think they’d earned more and gain more respect if they declared that they’re not going to increase prices in Ukraine at this time despite the inflation.

I hope game journalists pick this up and bring it to the attention.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with you?

4 Likes

There’s…a blue post about it. :dracthyr_shrug:

1 Like

I would reply and say I don’t think you understand how the press works and that I find that baffling after years of bad press for Donald trump that worked in his favor. But I won’t say that because it’s rude and insults your intelligence and I try not to contribute to the toxicity here.

1 Like

A sub increase in the US would be my time to bow out. I’m enjoying the game to be sure, but it’s not more than $15 a month levels of enjoyment.

2 Likes