Blizzard has heard Night Elf fan points

So now the icing on the ‘Horde sucks’ cake of BfA is a canonical loss to a Warfront with a feel-good Alliance cutscene showing how awesome they are for beating us. You Nelf fans satisfied yet? Eesh.

6 Likes

No they should have a cutscene for strom too

1 Like

No. Nelf players are never satisfied.

3 Likes

I take issue with this generalization. I’m more than just a race I’m a fan of, and quite frankly my issues with the story go beyond what they’ve done with night elves as a race, the night elves are just the more egregious example because they consistently and stubbornly stick to their guns even when those guns keep missing the target.

Also I play dwarves and draenei too.

11 Likes

I’ve been around since vanilla. Nelves have never been satisfied. Even when Cataclysm offered up most of Kalimdor up on a silver platter to them in their story, they were unsatisfied.

1 Like

Did they expand their territory that much in Cataclysm? Their gains in Azshara are just for the Horde player to undo. And their new bases in Stonetalon, Felwood, and Feralas are all mirrored on the Horde. I haven’t leveled a character in forever though so I might be forgetting things.

5 Likes

How were the Night Elves offered Kalimdor? Cataclysm was an expansion where half the Alliance towns were destroyed and were replaced with Horde towns especially Tim Burton Forsaken towns in Eastern Kingdoms.

6 Likes

Story wise, the Night Elves win a lot of battles in Cataclysm, but this has to be contextualized by the fact some of their most beloved zones were set on fire or smashed around. Seriously, level a toon on classic and just run around Darkshore and Ashenvale. Then go visit those zones on Retail with their Cataclysm makeovers. Tell me, which version of the game do they look better in, Classic or Cataclysm? Barring some snarky comment like “They look better on fire to me!! For the Horde!!” I find it hard to believe any one likes the way they look. Maybe a few, but I’d be hard pressed to find them. That’s where the complaints come from, at least to me, not the questing.

13 Likes

yeah but most of the stuff I dont like from cata ashenvale and darkshore have nothing to do with the horde, but the stuff deathwing did, like all the jagged land and that awful volcano in the middle of ashenvale.

1 Like

Right, a lot of it was Deathwing, some of it was the Horde, but either way those zones were completely destroyed and made an ugly mess… so were many others, and thus why I don’t like Cataclysm. Not from an Alliance point of view, not from a Horde point of view, but from just a player point of view that loves the aesthetics of the old vanilla world.

3 Likes

they need to do another update

3 Likes

Night Elves defeat the Horde in every zone they come to blows with them in, with the exception of Azshara to my recollection.

Blizzard definitely uglied up the zones, that’s true. But complaints were largely “I can’t BELIEVE Blizzard would DARE to have the Horde overpower the night elves in THEIR land.” Totally ignoring that the night elves come along and undo it every single time, with the exception of Azshara – which hadn’t been their land to begin with.

3 Likes

still waiting for Ashenvale and atleast Sylvanas death since the Horde was able to use her as a scapegoat for all their crimes, so atleast she should die. Also they should let us free the Night Elves in the maw but why am I even talking, none of it is realistically going to happen.

3 Likes

Those are some really low standards though.

1 Like

So you won’t be happy until everything from BfA is undone? That’s a petulant attitude to take. And we’ll kill Sylvanas in a raid at some point. You’ll have to be patient on that.

1 Like

They admittedly are extremely low standards. But that’s why, pretty much, we should have known what we were going to get to a degree. I was also responding to Drahl who seems to say she had no problem with the villain bat aspect of the Horde questing, but more the “stupid” part… but by Blizzard standards that tends to be how it goes.

It’s not undone, those people will still be all dead and the Night Elves will still have a very hard time rebuilding after such heavy losses. Really what I suggested is the barely minimum a reasonable writer would give us.

I’m not even asking for revenge against the Horde anymore, it would be really cool and exciting but absolutely impossible.

5 Likes

This is such a non problem. Blizzard doesn’t tell you which NPCs were saved and which weren’t. The only hard canon is that the vast majority of night elves in Teldrassil died. They could have every single named NPC be in Nordrassil with the excuse that the player saved them.

The average player certainly doesn’t remember everyone they saved and everyone they didn’t.

1 Like

It still matters though. It’s still an important aspect of the lore that so many innocents died. Most Night Elves lost their friends and families in that event which is still very tragic even if they get their lands back and Sylvanas dead.

Something I’d love personally is Elune getting freed from some evil powers in Shadowlands and then she uses her powers to bring every Night Elf back to life and restore Teldrassil, but I know I should keep dreaming…

3 Likes

This does seem unlikely.

However, I would note that if we save the victims of Teldrassil from the Maw it should also depower Sylvanas and make her more vulnerable, which is more along the lines of something we can maybe expect.

3 Likes