Blizzard didn't lose their touch, the player base changed

No this is not a pro BfA thread, pro retail thread or whatever, because some stuff I dislike too about WoW

Now, like the title says, everyone blames Blizzard because they lost their touch and now we got things like titanforged and world quests or whatever

Because the player base changed…

You see, I started WoW since Burning Crusade, I was only 12 or so then, I was a complete idiot when I started, putting talents in one tree, keyboard turning, not key binding, no add-ons, whatever

I remember playing with people, trying to get to do dungeon’s but at the same time I was worried that I wasn’t good enough, because my first week of WoW I was trying to tank RFC and I got called bad because I didn’t know what I was doing

These players who I learned with, are players who were guys who played Warcraft 3, the guys who were hardcore, guys who were heavy into lore, getting excited to fight the Lich King, enjoying raiding Sunwell (this was months before pre WotLK), seeing the Horde with Thrall leading it, seeing Stormwind in game as it was, when
before it was destroyed based on Warcraft Orcs & Humans. Majority of those WoW players then were hardcore players.

The ones whoo took effort in playing the game, gearing up, grinding those dungeons to get best as possible, playing their class well, feeling prideful when they got that Warlglaive of Azzinoth, that bow from Kil’jaden Sunwell, making sure their raid team had flasks, food, gold for repairs, whatever.

WotLK came out, I remember being better at the game, doing my best, even though I was probably 14 by then, but because I was a casual then, I was never invited to raids, too afraid to tank because of it, so all I did was try to run 5 man dungeons over and over and over, but most of the time I couldn’t because I was still anxious, or farm dailies over and over at Icecrown Citadel, thats all I did. Till LFG tool finder came out and made it alot easier for me to do dungeons with people, without the need of searching for people on Trade/LFG chat. Once that tool finder came out, I realized more and more casuals like me were doing dungeons.

Then, Cataclysm came out, and right then and there, I realized the game started to become alot easier, less talents, spell ranks no longer exist, no longer necessary to have spell resistance gear, being able to queue for LFR without needing to find people, Blizzard started to cater towards the casuals, I remember this complaint over and over on the old forums back in 2010.

At that moment, Blizzard knew they had to change the player base favoritism, the guys who were hardcore back in burning crusade? they already quit, they grew out of WoW, they had a family, they no longer wanted to play because Arthas is gone, Arthas was one of the iconic villians during Warcraft 3, he died, the iconic villain they once dreamed to fight in WoW, is gone, there was nothing else they think could top him . They needed to shift WoW to cater the new WoW players of 2010 and beyond. They needed to make the casual player keep playing so that they can keep enjoying WoW without the skills it needed to be good before Pre Cataclysm.

MoP rolled around, spells and talents were once again easier to the casuals, no longer needed to stance dance with warriors, no longer needed materials to make poisons for rogues, no longer needed to follow a cookie cutter build, you just had to pick what talent was best for you. You no longer had to learn spells from a training master, you no longer needed all that gold to get what you want, your guilds were more friendly with casuals than ever, the game was easier to casuals, there was no effort in raiding besides Heroic (technically called Mythic but that was before the changes)

and WoD… you already knew what WoD did, it made it too casual, the casuals did get bored, whatever hardcore veterans stayed around, that was the last straw. subs dropped dangerously and Blizzard had to act. What was best to keep players? an RNG system, something that makes the pplayer to keep playing yet something that a regular casual can do without effort, to get that best gear, took the idea of lootboxes and applied it to a WoW term, titanforged for exampple, and you got Legion and BfA, mostly BfA.

My point is, yes Blizzard did make some changes that veterans or regulars/casual do not like, because no one doesn’t want to farm mythic+ every week in hopes that chest gives you a titanforge item, hoping for a weapon to drop with good stats, trying to grind azerite to make your necklace powerful.

But what can they do? The player base changed, not just WoW, look at Fortnite, look at PUBG, look at Call of Duty, look at DOTA 2, look at Counter Strike Global Offensive, those games for example have loot crates, and yet they are still popular.

I’m 25 now, I remember enjoying WoW then when I was in middle/high school, but I can’t dwell on the past over and over, Garrosh said it well in the WoD cinematic, “Times changed.”

Yea classic WoW exists soon and can relive some of that momentum again, but you can’t play it forever, just like you can’t eat Mcdonalds every day before you risk your health.

Blizzard can’t keep the game how it was like pre Cataclysm was, you got to make it work for the bigger group, or at least both sides as possible.

Were some choices too harsh for some players? Yes it was, I agree about hating Azerite gear, that necklace

11 Likes

i will maintain a healthy workout regime and continue eating 10 piece nuggets every SINGLE DAY

9 Likes

I really don’t feel like the majority of the issues have with the game are because of how players have changed. Sure things like LFR/LFD might fall in that category but class prunes, time gates, rep grinds, war on flight, rented power (AP grinds), scaling are on Blizzard.

58 Likes

I suppose my biggest gripe is catering to a bunch of bad players who treat wow as some kind of weird No Mans Sky “chill” entertainment. I don’t care if that’s where a majority of their market, the rest of the PC games market, or the entire video games market goes. Don’t encourage that. Don’t take the EZ way out of designing games for low brow people who don’t know any better and aren’t choosy with their money. Give me an actual damn game that takes skill to play. If you insist on including those other dumb aspects, at least let me exempt myself from them via being more skilled.

6 Likes

OP, ask not what your community can do for you, but what YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COMMUNITY.

/salute

1 Like

With this thread I would say things haven’t changed

17 Likes

Then you didn’t understand the point of my thread, based on your past replies I didn’t think so either

1 Like

If you’re looking for a game that takes skill, WoW isn’t it … so enjoy the game for what it is and you’ll be happy

6 Likes

Kind of a chicken and the egg argument. Make changes, people that like them stay, people that don’t leave.

One thing that I suspect happened BC/WotLK era is they started basing a lot of changes on exit surveys and never took the time to figure out why people stay. Just why they leave.

So the solutions for why people leave might have been mutually exclusive with why people stay.

The industry as whole has also moved to a Skinner box, loot crate, gambling mechanics systems.

8 Likes

Stop trying to gain brownie points. We did not change. I have been here since day one on multiple accounts and Im sure many others have too.

Blizzard changed and that is why almost everyone has left.

28 Likes

I agree 100% with the OP. WoW is an MMO, so if it doesn’t evolve with the times then it’s dead. Or at least only catering to a small but fervent market like EQ and UO are doing now.

And remember, the whole point of WoW ever since Vanilla was to make MMO’s casual friendly and not as hardcore. That’s why the graphics catered to low-end computers and you leveled by questing in Vanilla. When Blizzard realized that endgame was where it’s at for WoW, they added dailies and badges in BC, valor gear and LFD and 10 man raiding in Wrath, LFR in cata, legendary for everyone in MoP and so on.

So anyone who complains of WoW “dumbing down” or “catering to casuals” or “going for the lowest denominator” hasn’t played this game that long or have never realized the meaning of WoW’s design.

Also, games like Fortnite and LOL were influenced in part by learning from WoW’s success, not despite of WoW.

4 Likes

I’m just going to say both have changed and not for the better.

2 Likes

It takes a special kind of blind fanaticism to not see how Blizzard has changed (for the worse) over the last 10-12 years.

25 Likes

Because they had to, look what happened to Wildstar, they tried to bring that hardcore method, told casuals to get good

Now where is it at? Dead

1 Like

Maybe the troll race’s stubbornness to change their ways is actually a metaphor for the classic wow playerbase

Did you not read what I said? I know this game is in a bad sorry state

No they turned the game into a casual friendly game.

1 Like

Because… they had to

Plus WoW has always been a friendly game, do you not read those tips at the bottom when the screen is loading, where it encourages you to be friendly to everyone?

2 Likes

While you do have some valid points, I think that the direction the game has gone isn’t JUST the playerbase has changed.

They’ve had a good chunk of turnover, the way they interact with the customers have changed, and their attitudes on what is important has changed as well. Not all of these changes have been for the better. They’ve changed over time, and perhaps, for some of them, they’ve just grown jaded, tired and cynical.

There is a time when you need to accept that you can’t approach a task with a fresh mind any longer and that moving on and embracing something else is the best option.

3 Likes

No they didn’t.

By pandering to the casual player base they created quick cash but 0 staying power. Casuals by their very definition will play for 1 or 2 months max then lose interest.

If they had stuck to creating a solid game they could have retained the die-hard fans and maybe even some new players along the way, but they dumbed the game down to being borderline a mobile game with 0 soul, and their subs have shown it.

10 Likes