Can't Hold Player Interest

Blizzard can’t hold player interest.

There’s too much focus on end-game content which eventually becomes obsolete so the game is constantly leaving players in the dust. It’s akin to the technological race of the present day.

Blizzard are also too focused on raiding and Esports, when most people don’t raid and most people don’t push 3v3 arenas for rating, not to mention both of these are end-game content.

So Blizzard needs to refocus and conjure up ways to hold player interest other than top-tier nonsense and do something that gives the majority of players something to do.

Originally what kept players going was the fun in leveling and getting fed a talent point every few levels to customize one’s character, and getting new gear as one levels up, but Blizzard butchered talent trees and added heirlooms.

76 Likes

Agreed with most of this. Heirlooms need to be like account-wide powers.

8 Likes

Yeah, instead of esports they should fix the pvp problem that has currently manifested itself :slight_smile:

Nothing is perfect and I understand that but I also can see that their priorities are definitely out of wack.

4 Likes

That’s because for the past 6 years they’ve been implementing disposable systems so we feel no permanent character progression.

Blizz did good in Legion but when EVERYTHING got scrapped in BFA it felt TERRIBLE.

47 Likes

blizzard was banking on islands and warfronts to hold the casuals over and they banked on the wrong horse.the the radis have been great from what i hear.

so they took a chance and failed.

5 Likes

I agree blizzard is not making the best efforts of late. Leveling is something i love as any RPG lover does, and its in shambles.

Just dont forget about how much game play competition there is now. I dont think its possible for WoW to ever have 10 mil + subs again. Regardless of how “good” the game is.

5 Likes

The answer will be a new level of forging, in order to up the dopamine hit.

1 Like

Agreed!

The journey through a big world is missing completely.

As for the power curve; it is absolutely insane to allow character progression take a big chunk out of how classes feel to play along the ride.

At least the class mechanics should always feel rewarding and FUN to play. Gear progression does not have to translate into “you only get to feel fluid game play with x amount of haste or crit”.

I made a thread about game play opportunities → Feedback - Missed game play opportunity

There is currently no good system in place to hold players in the game and raiding or pvp are not the answer here. The theme park mmorpg genre needs a big overhaul. And also every single class with a clear focus on fun game play and away from pvp esport talents.

Mark my words.

16 Likes

I can agree on M+/arenas but I don’t see really how raiding is connected to esports, raiding always been part of wow and isn’t there for Esports. The top team that clears first pretty much only get a tweet from blizzard.

There’s also nothing really balanced for it to call it even a sport, top guilds with tons of time will do split runs to outgear and will raid 10-20 times the average guild. Method would also pretty much have no competition if they weren’t streaming.

Also for sure leveling needs a revamp, I don’t think there’s an easy solution for them since they want to sell boosts.

3 Likes

Methamphetaforged!

Cocainaforged!

I CANT WAIT! No more titanforge or warforge!

3 Likes

Leveling hasn’t been a significant portion of the game since WotLK at the latest. I’d also be willing to bet that people didn’t maintain their subs longer back then either, there were just more new people coming in than there were people leaving, because the game was actually popular then.

So what I’m saying is that, while I do wish leveling had more going for it these days, I don’t think making that more engaging would retain subs much better than they currently are. Ultimately endgame is what keeps people paying. Leveling largely has an end goal for most people, while endgame keeps coming indefinitely until the next expansion where the process restarts.

I know it’s purely anecdotal, but I remember back when I started, I’d have a friendslist filled to the brim with friends and accquaintances, and I’d definitely see them popping in and out pretty often, for a considerable amount of time. It was only content draughts it’d slow down a bit.

Now? I’m lucky to see anyone I add, Battletag or not, after a couple months. They usually pop back in after several months, which honestly is kind of the way to play the game right now…

Wait 'til the update you want is in, play the content and leave again 'til there’s more. It’s a fair enough way to play the game, and it’s great when you can’t commit time every night to the game, but it makes the community feel a bit fractured, too.

5 Likes

I mean… they kept a lot of our interests for 14 years…

2 Likes

This is because Blizzard is catering to “cyclical” players now. Those of us who used to play throughout an expansion have had our play style butchered, and many have given up and joined the ranks of the cyclical players.

6 Likes

This so much. It’s stupid how every patch & expansion is practically a reset and all the old stuff becomes irrelevant.

Make everything relevant. Have world quests popping up all over every continent giving rewards, etc.

7 Likes

Imo that is just a result of our own time spent in game and with our characters + the ever non existing long term alternative (cause of the mtx generation boom which is now slowly ending).

WoW is not a great game. It is just a theme park of memories and renewed wishes, that it MAYBE can deliver this year…or next year. Until every last drop of hopes dies with boring classes and un fun mechanics.

6 Likes

maybe if they got rid of esports and concentrated on the game it would be great again.

esports came around wrath and thats when the numners started to drop…just saying,

6 Likes

They have mine. I still have lots of things to do. Interest in this game hasn’t waned a bit.

Yesterday I got the Long Forgotten Hippiebird. Pretty purple thing. Things like this keeps me busy.

3 Likes

what happened in wod blizzard focused on raiders and lost over half the subs and never recovered.

what happened in bfa they focused more on raiders and look what happened.

6 Likes

WoD was the first expansion to add masses of rares & in-world trinkets and toys. Also wasn’t it one of the biggest content draught expansions?

2 Likes