Blizzard app not seperating TBC and Classic installs

When I logged on this morning, the Blizzard App did the download and install of Burning Crusade Classic (as it should have). When I click the down arrow and select World of Warcraft Classic, it gives me the big blue button that says Install. Should that be the case? The files from Classic are still in there I assume.
That question aside, I like to keep each game installed in it’s own folder. I have a folder for retail, a folder for classic, and now a folder for BC. I clicked the link under the Install button that says “locate the game”. I selected the folder (for Classic) and clicked “select folder”. It just takes me back to the Install button. I seem to recall that starting the update / install on other games.
I went back to BC and selected the wheel next to the Play button, and clicked game settings. I notice there is no entry / install location for BC, only WoW and WoW Classic (now holding BC). Does this mean they (Classic and BC clients) can’t be separately installed or is this a bug?

Mine doesn’t seem right either. When I launched Battle.net it automatically installed BC Classic. When it was finished I toggled back to WoW Classic and noticed the button had changed to “Install”. When I looked under “C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft” I see that the BC installation modified what was under the “classic” folder. When I went back to Battle.net and installed Classic it made another folder, “classic_era”, but I noticed that this folder does not have the same subfolders that “classic” had and now only has a “UTILS” folder.
Something doesn’t seem right. Why didn’t they just leave “classic” as WoW Classic and install BC Classic under “classic_BC”? Seems like that makes more sense.

And now the more I poke around I realize that all the game data for all 3 versions is stored under “C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Data”. That seems like a configuration management nightmare just waiting to wreak havoc.
Another thing I noticed is that my Interface folder is still under “classic”, which I guess now means my Classic add-ons need to be manually moved over under “classic_era” so they aren’t loaded with BC Classic. This is a pretty crappy way of deploying BC Classic.

Most of this is intentional, as most players are continuing to BC. Shared game data has been in the Data folder for years now; this prevents you from having dozens of gigabytes of duplicate data if you have Retail, Retail PTR, Classic, Classic PTR, and BC and BC PTR. If you truly wanted to install them in separate locations, you would be losing this advantage. The launcher does already create separate folders for each version to hold your cache, settings, and addons, since those will be different for each version.

Same here, the game files aren’t separated. BC is now linked to my classic launcher and Classic is gone.

Any information on this? Essentially I cant log into wow.

For some, there may be no reason to install them separately. If they only have 1 account, only play on 1 PC, or would rather not deal with it, they are probably better off just keeping it all together. Nothing wrong with that.
My reasons for installing in separate folders:

1. Stability with multiple clients running
    I have had issues when an update pushes and I’m logged in to more than 1 client (retail and classic, requires more than 1 account) at the same time installed in the same folder. Keeping them in separate folders eliminates the issue.
  2. Portability
    I play on more than 1 or even 2 computers. It is easy to copy over the Classic folder, only around 11 Gig, to play on another PC. Can’t do that if it is in the same folder with Retail, you will need to copy the full 70 Gig plus.
    There may be other reasons but those are mine.

I think the havoc has begun. Was able to launch WoW retail from the game folder last night (issues for couple weeks with Bnet not recognizing it’s even installed), but today after doing the TBCC update, retail won’t launch at all. It just keeps saying updates are available, starting Bnet & going to TBCC. If they’ve put all the data under one umbrella, the wires are getting all crossed.

Restart your battle.net client - Classic will appear as a new choice and it will install into a classic_era folder. After you may want to copy addons and WTF folder to the classic_era folder to retain them and their settings/cache.

Update:
After some wrangling, I got it to work. You can install the Classic Vanilla client and the Classic BC client in separate folders!
For those wondering how big those folders are, Vanilla is 4.11 Gig and BC is 12.4 Gig.
Request to Blizzard:
Please change the name(s) of the two clients under settings in the Blizzard App so that they are not both named “World of Warcraft Classic” as they are now. The only way I can tell them apart now is that I put the name of the game version in the folder name. But, under downloads, there is no way to tell them apart.

thank you
edit: how hard can it be to get bold text to work …
PS: False alarm on the Bug, there isn’t one that I can find :slight_smile: