Blizz should make a Smash Bros. style game with their characters

On the unfortunate news of HotS effectively being a dead-game walking, I think it would be really awesome if Blizzard made a platform-fighting game like Smash Bros, but with all of the heroes from HotS. Fighters of the Storm, or a different name.

The platform-fighter genre has really blown up over the last few years, and while most of the games are indie (like Rivals of Aether, Brawlhalla, Brawlout, Slap City), if Blizzard threw their hat into the ring, I think a company of their stature could seriously give Smash Bros. a run for its money. Not many companies have the resources and slew of original and diverse characters quite like Nintendo or Blizzard do.

I know I’d certainly play it! It would be so awesome to play as Diablo, Muradin, the Lich King, or Artanis in that sort of gameplay. Perhaps that’s the genre Heroes of the Storm was always destined to be made in.

5 Likes

I’d love to see a blizzard fighter, but I don’t know if a Smash style platform fighter would really work. Smash works because most of its fighters are very cartoonish and over the top. The spectacular fighting and exagerated movement works woth that art style.

If Blizz did it and they kept the art styles true to the original properties it would look stupid. And if they made super deformed ‘chibi’ versions of the characters, personally at least I think it would still look stupid.

I’d rather see them make a more standard style fighter and maybe come up with some new ideas. Maybe an over the sholder third person view with different game modes like a last man standing 10 person match. Or make the arenas larger and multi leveled with obstructions to make the gameplay a little more strategic.

I suck at every fighting game except Smash so I’ve got some serious bias going on here lol

1 Like

Seeing as Blizzard seems to be done with Heroes of the Storm, this is probably the smartest business move that they can do at this point to sort of redeem that game and their decisions made with said game. I imagine a LOT of people would enjoy this type of game with the same or more characters involved in HOTS.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Blizzard character in Smash one day. Almost all the new characters are from third parties, and the presence of Cloud and Snake means that it doesn’t need to have a title on a Nintendo console.

(Hopefully it would be a Warcraft character but let’s face it, it would probably be an Overwatch character due to the pixar art fitting better with Nintendo.)

1 Like

Yeah, Tracer is the one Blizz character I can see working in and fitting into a Smash game and she’salways been the unofficial face of Overwatch as well. So if it ever happened my money is on her.

Yeah, Tracer is the one Blizz character I can see working in and fitting into a Smash game and she’salways been the unofficial face of Overwatch as well. So if it ever happened my money is on her.

Personally I’d love to see The Lich King or Diablo as some heavies, but apparently Tracer/Overwatch is even more popular than Splatoon in Japan. She may just be one of those 5 DLC! Nintendo of America President Reggie even said they’d all be “unexpected”.

That aside, I’d still rather a full branded Blizzard Smash game!

Ha! They couldn’t put any micro transactions in it without it being a colossal failure next to Smash Bros Ultimate.

A man can dream though.

Ha! They couldn’t put any micro transactions in it without it being a colossal failure next to Smash Bros Ultimate.

A man can dream though.

Haha so true. Blizzard are big on online games nowadays, so I’d expect it to either release like Overwatch (buy for retail cost, unlock full roster) or be like HotS (Freemium, unlock roster through gameplay or purchases). Either way, If loot-boxes only contained cosmetics with an alternative to buy said cosmetics outright, then I have no problems!

Blizzard is not mainstream enough for Smash, Nintendo is more about consoles and retro characters.

Diablo could be a dlc character I mean they had that whole Diablo edition Switch and they said all the DLC will be 3rd party new to Smash characters.

I would expect it, but it would still be a disappointment for me if they announce a Blizzard collab for Smash, and then you look at it and it’s just Tracer or another clown from Overwatch. I’d like to see an actual classic Blizzard character like Thrall, Arthas or Jaina.

1 Like

No, Massive Crossover Turn Based RPG, like Super Robot Wars.

Yeah that will never happen. Anything added to Smash has to play well in Japan first and the rest of the world second. And Warcraft has never been big in Japan. Hell they never even released WoW there. Your average Japanese player wouldn’t know who any of those characters are.

Yeah that will never happen. Anything added to Smash has to play well in Japan first and the rest of the world second. And Warcraft has never been big in Japan. Hell they never even released WoW there. Your average Japanese player wouldn’t know who any of those characters are.

On top of that, instead of hoping for one Blizz character in Smash, making their own game would give them way more creative control. New mechanics unique to their game, and with better methods to implement faithful character movesets. They could also use so many of the Models and skins from HotS too. Not everything would need to be made from scratch.

HotS heroes have 2 heroics (ultimates) each. Fighters of the Storm fighters could have 2 finisher moves/final smashes? and the HotS talent system could work a lot like custom moves did from Smash 4.

I agree that I wouldn’t be shocked if a Blizzard character ended up in Smash Ultimate. Many of their characters would fit right in with the roster. I’d love to see Thrall show King Dedede who’s hammer is better, and have Diablo set fire to
well everyone. lol

1 Like

Shutupandtakemymoney.

1 Like

What’s the point? They could make it the best in the genre like they did with Heroes of the Storm and no one would play it due to loyalties to other games like LoL or DoTA.

It would just come off as a cheap knockoff even though it’d be the most unique of the genre.

Where is the news on this? I haven’t found anything that says developers are pulling out from the game.

Didn’t Moba players not like HotS because it was oversimplified?