Blizz said the majority wanted flight

LOL you’ve got to be joking.

The only…ONLY reason we don’t have flying at max level is one of two possibilities: one it’s because of petty dev spite, two no flying increases time played. After everything that’s happened, if you don’t think no flying is anything but an increasing time played tool, I have a bridge in California to sell you.

4 Likes

Someone choosing to fly does not affect you in any way. At all. Positive or negative…none.

3 Likes

As Joe Dirt once said to kickenwing

“Its not what you like its the consumer”

Yes. Their reaction to the backlash over the WoD bait-and-switch was the business equivalent of a cranky child being told to put away his toy and then throwing it into the toybox so hard that it breaks.

“Fine, have flying back… after doing this and this and this and this first, AND you have to wait until the end of the expansion. There. Showed you!”

6 Likes

Exploitative methods of completing content is not, in and of itself, a form or content.

T

This. The supposed trivialization of content by flying is a deflection when I can in fact trivialize content in so many other ways…feign death, stealth, fears/stuns/roots + tether/leash, flight paths, flight whistles, multiple hearth stones, ground mount speed + tether/leash. In the end all I can see is a lack of creativity by Ion and others to design --with-- flight as part of the game.

6 Likes

What, exactly, is being exploited by getting TO the content?

3 Likes

Raid gear is the worst offender for trivializing content in the world. Clearly, we should only be allowed questing greens in the world, and our raid gear should only be equippable inside the raid itself. Wouldn’t want people to miss out on fighting all the trash between point A and B.

5 Likes

Flying is exploitative once you’re already there.

Helicopter questing is the use of a flying mount to avoid the NPCs and enemies that would typically populate areas around quest targets and other elements in the environment that can be interacted with, whether they’re quest objectives themselves or resource nodes in the area. Flying allows the player to completely trivialize the presence of hostiles flying over their heads, well out of aggro range.

In a game that is built around conflict, battle, and being a living world, a system that allows for you to entirely disregard the other things that populate it is bad for the health of the game.

Raid gear is earned and the entire purpose of equipment in any RPG is to allow your character to become more powerful. More powerful against who? Enemy mobs and players. It allows you to do better at being your class, and to perform better against the enemies you’ll encounter.

If it trivializes the world, that’s by design. And yet it doesn’t entirely give you a free pass.

You can still make mistakes and play badly. Overestimate how many you can take on at once or not pay attention to something you should’ve been. Better gear gives you an edge, but these advantages are only relevant while you’re actively engaging in battle with something.

Flying trivializes content through non-engagement. It’s not at all the same.

And once you land and interact with those objectives, you’re generally dismounted and open to attack by any mobs near enough to be relevant to the target. At which point, you can’t mount again until you’ve dealt with said mobs.

And yet, the world remains trivial once you have it. I can completely ignore hostile mobs even on non-tank classes, once I have the gear to do it. But you seem to think trivializing things “by design” is perfectly fine, and I’m not sure why, since the end result is the same.

Which is equally true once I’ve engaged an objective reached via flight - or via stealth - rather than on the ground.

4 Likes

This is true. However, you’re failing to consider that flight allows a player to minimize the foot travel up to the objective by allowing them not to land at all until absolutely necessary to interact with the world to obtain the quest objective or resource node.

No one’s saying that Flight makes a character totally invulnerable. The reason it’s exploitative is by eliminating the foot travel between objectives, a character is only very rarely exposed to any actual threat.

To increase player power is the entire point of gear. That’s why it’s okay if gear makes the world easier to deal with. That’s the entire purpose of it.

Flight is a method of travel that trivializes the danger of the world. In many cases, a player doesn’t even need gear if they have flying. A method of travel should not do to the world what it’s not meant to do.

‘Engaging via flight’ makes no sense. You can’t engage with anything less you’re on the ground or have chosen to dismount.

So what? The majority of players also thought Dungeon Finder was a great idea. The majority of players seem to have little to no idea about what actually makes a game fun to play.

the basic elements of travel through out the world need to be monitored.

Okay this is an interesting concept…and a brand new one since Ive never heard of it ion thirty years of gaming. It will be of particular interest to Bethesda, who have a… shall we call, popular…franchise that includes instant travel.

You know where you can click once and travel anywhere you like? Or FF14 where they are embracing flight? Or other MMOs that have fast travel?

Metro: where did you get this from? Im curious…because Ive never ever heard of it before. Anywhere. In any alpha or beta testing systems. Its an interesting concept…was this form another game? From a game designer?

Whats your background in MMO design? Are you a dev?

I’m sure if you asked everyone randomly, do you want travel to take longer or be instant, people would all choose instant.

Yes they would. Time is, of course a valuable commodity. I’d LOVE transporter technology now, actually…

Its up to the playerbase to not stop there though, and instead ask ourselves what’s important in an MMORPG, and not just advocate for the easiest way out, like so many have done before us.

Yeah it is. Whats important in an MMORPG? Well, one of the core concepts is effort = reward. Funny part is, the current Pathfinder doesnt match that principle…as its sitting behinf an arbitrary one year timegate.

Which doesnt match that concept now, does it?

Metro: you keep telling us what is and is not part of MMORPG gameplay…and right now I am looking at an MMORPG that is becoming EVEN MORE highly successful by NOT doing what WOW is doing,.

What arent they doing?

Dangling things in front of player faces and pointing to a calendar “you have to wait all these months for a reward…but please keep playing and keep paying and we will give it to you…or we might change our minds…you never know…”

3 Likes

Helicopter questing.

FF14 has ungated flight and doesnt have this issue…all they had to do was design content AROUND flight. Which they did successfully.

Isnt it funny how OTHERS are able to solve problems Blizzard tell us cant be solved except by taking more things off their players…

2 Likes

I don’t think that players are grounded because of time gating, though

Sure…thats why we can do Pathfinder 2 right now instead of having to wait another four months…oh wait…

3 Likes

I’ve never played FF14 so I’m not gonna make comments about what is and isn’t an issue in their gameplay. If it’s really no different from WoW then skeptical about how they somehow avoided the problem.

I’ve never played FF14 so I’m not gonna make comments about what is and isn’t an issue in their gameplay

Do content = unlock flight = fly = no timegates.

1 Like

Again for the hardheaded amongst you. A compromise is a negotiated settlement between two parties with mutually exclusive agendas, where both parties have input into the bargaining process AND both parties get some of what they want but not necessarily all of what they want. Pathfinder is not a compromise it is a dictation by the developers as an expedience rather than to have to actually communicate on a level and honest basis with their customers about a feature of their product.

4 Likes

rather than to have to actually communicate

Which they dont do anyway

2 Likes

And for the pedantic, why are you even here still if you’re so pissed about the change?