Blizz said the majority wanted flight

Well damn, I better not let Blizzard know my Rogue, Druid, and Hunter can all skip content using stealth…actually the hunter can stealth or pull everything then FD and be on the other side of the map without having killed anything, thus skipping all that content to get to more content.

5 Likes

Helicopter questing.

How does what another player do affect you? Why do you care?

4 Likes

Because flying and mounts could be way better than they are, but as long as people only want flying to be convenient, we’ll never get anything better than what we have.

are you talking about mount warfare? Like jousting and such?

Not necessarily combat, but just more gameplay in general.

I’ve had a few ideas kicking around that sound like they’d be good on paper but I don’t have the means/resources to test them out to see if they’d meet muster. Consider the way battle pets got a whole system dedicated to them, but apply that to mounts.

• Mounts exist separately from the player and can be mounted/dismounted like a vehicle, similar to games like Shadow of the Colossus or Red Dead Redemption
  • Mount levels that improve their movement, endurance, and abilities
  • Navigation/Combat Engagement abilities. Some jump high, some jump far, some let you jump off the saddle and leap right into combat. Maybe they fight with you as a weaker combat pet.
  • HP on the mount so getting thrown off of your mount isn’t something that happens at random, but because of player mismanagement of abilities and skills and resources
  • Mounts get schools and types like Battle Pets. Beast, Dinosaur, Magical, Undead, etc.
  • Racial bonuses and perks
  • Equipment added to mounts, like follower items, that can provide passive bonuses or specialize different mounts for different roles-- farming, combat aid, extra saddles, junk storage, etc

The riding profession is absolutely ripe for a revamp that turns it into a system that has progression, choice, and gameplay. Until players stop demanding we have flying as it is, we’ll never get anything better.

1 Like

Yes, I like all of that as well. I just do not think it would fit realisticly into the World of Warcraft world. I could be wrong, hopefully I am. I just do not see it though, as they are not looking to do things like that. They are trying to get by with the most minimal input and the most maximum profit. Hence the time gating and the carrot on the stick 6th month subs. I agree, those things though would make a wonderful addition.

I don’t think that players are grounded because of time gating, though. I think that’s just a very popular hammer people like to bludgeon every complaint they currently have about the game with.

Maybe not in the devs eyes. There is a very distinct difference in their vision and the players vision it seems. They had no intention of flying in WoD but they brought it back, but the caveat was we are circus animals jumping through hoops. Never before was this required. Then legion, the same thing. Subscriptions still bleeding. Then BFA, same thing, subscriptions still bleeding. Whether the content, the repetition, the absolute mind numbing grinds, its not popular. Sure you cannot nail it down to one thing. I think I can. Its because its less sandbox and more we are on rails. We are just designed to funnel now, through the content. It used to be an RPG, open world sandbox, but now, we are actually forced to do things to progress.

9 Likes

Obviously engagement times are important. But the thing about railroading and funneling players through anything is that it’s terribly efficient. If engagement times is really want they wanted, they’d let players wander about aimlessly.

I think the engagement time principal is in practice in some places, but not all. It’s probably the driving philosophy behind the current loot system. I don’t think it’s the driving force behind allied races or pathfinder, though.

Right, but now you see the fundamental differences from the people that played from vanilla to pre cata. It was a sandbox. It was open world. You where not forced. We have different playstyles that force one or the other out. We used to have role play, but that is by the wayside now. In mythics you are under a timer. Its just run and gun. E sports. Not a role playing game. More of an active player game. We have the old school and the new school. Blizz has forgotten its base IMO.

7 Likes

I think you’re conflating a lot, personally.

Maybe I am, WoW has been a part of us for many years. Things given, things taken away. One thing for sure is that we remember, we feel, and we react.

3 Likes

I think that while the removal of flight could have been implemented in the past, but people are getting really salty about it now. The way it was delivered with WoD was just terrible. With WoD zones became smaller, mobs became more annoying, pathways became more restricted, and this all culminated in people either siting in the garrisons or sitting in cities.

It also seems to me that pathfinder was a gateway towards gating content behind reputations and time… and that among other things the quality of reputations, daily content such as world quests, and even some weekly content has suffered ever since WoD.

5 Likes

Will you guys please stop using this stupid, and incorrect argument. When you do something to a game we share a space in, it DOES affect everyone whether you want to admit it or not.

Many in the flight support groups have been very agreeable to the main who we lead off does the 10 level grind normally. We will walk our butts around.

120 ding…we fly. Lets even keep PF1. Its a fair measure. It needs story mostly done up to that point. ensures we explore for some spots.

Story has been done up top that point. WQ’s are just rehashes of story area. Our next new strange land will come in like argus. And not be flying. That is expected.

Yes this means alts can fly…its not like the story changes on alts. At this point the only variance in 2 chars is did they back saurfang or sylvanas. Alliance doesn’t even get this option, this is a horde only plot point.

See this game is not skyrim. Where for fun you could mix up 10’s of runs and have none be the same.

Did you back empire or storm cloak.

Did you back the dark brotherhood.

Did you back the thieves guild.

Did you back the stormcloaks, the brotherhood and the thieves guild

Did you back the stormcloaks, kill astrid and the rest of the brotherhood, and back the guild.

Did you back the stormcloaks, kill the brotherhood and blew off the guild.

Did you do all the above and opt to accept and stay vampire.

Now…replace all the above mentions of stormcloak with empire.

Why many of us want flight really. we are on alts so its quality of life feature really. We’ve seen story twice at least each side. I have anyway.

5 Likes

Questing continues after 120.

Flying doesn’t skip content, flying skips timewaster trash to reach content. If I have only two hours to play after work every day, why should I spend half an hour walking places? That’s not playing the game. Whether I walk or fly somewhere doesn’t make the quest go faster, reduce the number of pelts needed or flowers picked to finish the quest, doesn’t make the fights take less time, doesn’t make ore and herbs leap into my pack. I still have to land and do things, the only thing I lose by flying is the boring spaces between doing things. I think you anti-flyers need to start a character at level 1 and run around a bit. The spaces in between the doing of things are huge.

8 Likes

Why is this a bad thing? Is it not content?

1 Like

I can’t believe you actually wrote that out thinking that you made a point…