It's time to talk about TBC

AQ just launched, so if we figure 3 months of this and then Naxx and 3 months of that we could see TBC 6 months from now. Maybe a little longer, but still…it’s not too early to start talking about their plans with the inevitable TBC servers. And I don’t mean the specific things like possible patch progression. I’m talking about character migration.

Players need to know what the plan is here. Blizz did do that one little survey to a handful of players, but that’s not enough. They need to open up a real dialogue, gather input and feedback, and figure out what the players want and the demand is. What percent want to transfer or copy their characters? How many want to just start over. Those numbers are important as they dictate how many servers are needed and of what type.

I don’t want to take the focus away from Classic, and players shouldn’t feel the content trivialized by the upcoming TBC servers, but…Blizz needs to start gathering information and avoid some of the issues that happened with Classic, so they can better deal with server populations, avoiding having to rely on layering long-term, etc. Might as well start now.

12 Likes

TBC won’t be for another year at the very least. Most likely the gameplan would be to do bi-annual releases of content between Retail and Classic. Or at least that makes the most sense business wise in my head.

9 Likes

I don’t understand how people are so excited for a potential TBC classic when they are just going to screw it up by putting it on the last patch like classic and not doing anything to address the blood elf paladin problem. Enjoy those 4 hour BG queues, nerfed-to-hell heroic dungeons, and raids with zero attunements.

20 Likes

TBC is not going to release till a year after Shadowlands. They want you to get bored and try Shadowlands by paying the price for a full retail game. TBCC won’t cost a thing other than a sub so it’ll get released when Shadowlands is losing steam and they need a cash injection cause the diehards and nostalgic players will come back in droves just like the Classic launch.

16 Likes

You’re insinuating that Classic and Current WoW players are appealling to the same players. Sure, there’s some overlap but they offer very different experiences. People saying TBC won’t be for a year are…crazy. Naxx won’t be more than 3 months after AQ. You really think they’ll have no new content for 9 months after that? You know how many people will unsub? A lot. They won’t go over to Shadowlands, because the reason they’re playing Classic is because they think the Current version is garbage.

Blizzard would be utterly foolish to wait that long. TBC will launch when Naxx has been out a decent amount of time, but players are ready for more Classic content, and that’ll come in the form of Classic TBC. Maybe it’ll be more than 6 months from right now, but it won’t be a year. Spring 2021 at the latest.

In any event, it’s not too early to start laying the groundwork as to how players will transition into TBC. Blizzard needs to start getting some estimates from the players so they can plan accordingly.

5 Likes

We had MC for half a year, we had BWL for half a year- Shadowlands comes out in December.

Naxx will be February at the earliest, they won’t have it conflict with the game they consider important, and it definitely won’t be three months after how long they made us sit on just MC and BWL.

TBC will be next summer at the earliest, if we’re lucky they’ll talk about it at blizzcon but I doubt it.

4 Likes

I disagree. They will do the ‘classic’ series on off years from the retail expansions. That is plain as day. There are plenty of people who play both. Naxxramas will likely come out in 4-6 months and that will give blizzard 6-8 months of Naxxramas until TBC. Seems about right

3 Likes

lol, you can’t be serious. The soonest we see naxx Is January. The soonest we see TBC is next August. But here is what’s going to happen

Naxx is the biggest draw for classic. There is no way they release it on the same schedule they’ve been following currently, which is almost right in step with the original release structure of vanilla. Naxx is most likely february-march release. TBC, 7-8 months later in the fall.

The fact that you think its possible to see naxx 3 months after AQ is just pure stupidity. Just look at how they released the other raids. BWL was 6 months after MC. AQ was 6 months after BWL. There is no logical reason to believe they’ll release Naxx right on top of shadowlands expansion. It’s almost certainly 6 months away minimum.

11 Likes

It’s time to talk about it when Blizz makes a post about it. Before then you’re better off pumpin iron than wasting your time here.

2 Likes

tbc hasnt even been confirmed yet

they had the open dialogue with players for classic too and that open dialogue gave us spell batching and a bunch of other things that players dislike.

i think blizzard should just do what they want, the community is too polarizing to give valuable feedback

3 Likes

You are looking at the whole TBC issue as a player. Whatever is best for you as a player, that is what Blizzard “should” do. Money, manpower, scheduling, technical issues, financial issues – none of those count, in your mind.

But Blizzard is a business, not a player. All of those issues matter.

What is “TBC”? Is that even defined yet? Players all wave their hands and mean 100 different games, and call them all “TBC”. Just look at the ongoing threads arguing about what the TBC rules “should” be.

Blizzard can’t wave their hands. Blizzard has to create ONE game that players will accept as “TBC”. If Blizzard chooses wrong, 80% of players will say “that isn’t TBC” and won’t play it.

TBC also has to make money. Will Blizzard’s income increase by introducing a 3d game, when they already have 2 games? If the answer is “no” then TBC won’t happen. Period. Blizzard isn’t a charity devoted to your fun. Blizzard is a business.

You are asking for a pre-announcement. In its 16-year history, Blizzard has learned that they cannot do that. SOME players will take any announcement as a commitment and a promise. I had to endure years of “Blizzard lies to players” threads in this forum, all because Blizzard pre-announced something and then changed their plans. You want plans? Sorry, not with this playerbase.

Besides, what if there is no “plan”? What if Blizzard has not already made an unchangeable decision about everything? Do you want to hear about things that will NOT actually happen? Why?

4 Likes

Soon [10char]

Not sure if there will be a plan just knowing if it will release would be good. But there could be the inclusion of cut content like zul’aman, and another question would be the pvp system specifically arena seasons and pvp reward currency.

Yes Blizzard hurry up give us the info, classic is basically over

They should start asking now. I mean I guess I’d be okay if you had to do a fresh re-roll on a TBC server but I’d much rather have a character copy.

The only option I’d hate is if I’d have to transfer and lose my 60 toon on classic.

Also, no one has mentioned the possibility of fresh servers for classic? I know that won’t appeal to everyone but prior to classic within the private server community - fresh servers that reset progression were extremely popular.

2 Likes

You should really look at the actual timelines from Vanilla and compare them to the timelines we’ve seen in Classic if you think Naxx will be out in 3 months.

Blizzard doesn’t need to “talk TBC” with anyone - the community ruined Classic, their input would ruin TBC too - because they don’t know what the hell they want.

5 Likes

Seeing as guilds already 1 shot aq and many other are chewing thru it id day 3-4 months for nax sounds about right. Your confused if you think nax release has anything to do with shadowlands most the people playing classic dont play retail wow… no connection between the 2.

My guess is Naxx around November, then TBC sometime in Q2 2021.

Of course Shadowlands throws all this into doubt. I’m sure they’d rather we be playing that instead of Classic so they can sell us MTX.

1 Like

I hope that since they have the data for the pre nerf dungeons and raids that we can have the good versions. It’s still not going to be hard but at least we will have really fun content that less people will cry about being too easy.

Yes but I’ll be alliance for instant BG queues and also 69 twinking so nerfed endgame doesn’t bother me. Win win :slight_smile: