Blizz Confirms Torghast DOES NOT Have Timers!

Well, keep in mind that there are those of us, myself included, that feel like, with big timers, you should be able to take small breaks. Using the phone call example, like it was a wrong number or just a quick answer was needed. You just can’t do something like go cook dinner without feeling the pinch.

and you can do exactly that, in fact you could even go and cook dinner if you wanted, so long as its between floors.

think of each floor like a boss encounter. once you pull the boss, if the phone rings or someone knocks on the door, you either accept the consequences of going afk, or you wait for the pull to be done, and since it looks like each floor doesn’t actually take that long, unless its urgent it can probably wait till a rest area. and if it IS that urgent, well IRL is more important than a game, sucks that the run is burned but thats life sometimes.

1 Like

I’m really loving that there’s a rest area at the start of each floor :slight_smile: That’s such a positive for me :smiley:

The question for me is if I can go back there and rest or not. If I can double back when I have an emergency irl, all good. If not…well, it’s gonna suck if Torghast is as gated as visions is.

2 Likes

Not currently planned, but might be a possibility as a tweak if people feel like the need/want a break but can’t get one.

2 Likes

I certainly hope that Torghast isn’t designed around a “perfectly-efficient” anything.

I want it to be designed around a completely, average competent me because the chances are really high I’m going to do these solo just like I’ve done 95% of my horrific visions. Average competent me with above average gear should be able to solo above average Torghast.

I don’t want to see the divide that exists today in Visions where specific classes and specs have massive advantages over other classes and specs because they are faster, have stealth, have massive AOE bursts, or have so many defensives they can pull the whole floor and kill everything.

6 Likes

well then floors 1-10 are for you, which its been indicated are the only floors you will “need” to do in order to get your legendary progress for the week. no timers, no effects, can clear them at your own pace.
anything beyond those floors is entering “challenge mode” where you need to actually buckle down and push hard at it.

since you brought up visions, thats actually a good example. you don’t actually NEED to do any mask runs, like at all. you can lvl your cloak to 15 and get your weekly corruption boost just by running full clears with zero masks, and while it is easier for some classes than others, at this point there is no reason why anyone can’t get that done.
now if you want an extra challenge for some better rewards, yeah you can do masked runs, and if you want to clear 5 masked runs every week, you are gonna have to put some work and strategy into doing it as efficiently as possible. but you don’t “need” to do it.

same deal with torghast, if you want the extra challenge, then push on into the challenge floor modes. but everything you “need” to do can be taken care of in the first 10 floors at your leisure with no timers of any sort.

I’m going to say this again, for probably the 6th time in this thread:

Torments start at floor 1 on alpha right now, depending on the tileset you rolled.

Further, Floors 1-18 ARE NOT A CHALLENGE. Floors 1-6 are like fighting over world enemies, and by the time enemy difficulty starts to ramp, you have collected a bunch of anima powers and can still steamroll everything. My last run I had 50ish anima powers by the end and I killed the Floor 18 boss in under 10 seconds.

I’m getting really sick of elitist jerks (pun not intended) trying to gatekeep here, patting me on the head, and telling me that I won’t need to worry about the timers anyway because clearly I’m so bad at the game I’ll never see them.

I’ve played it, and that isn’t how it is.

If you have alpha access, go play it (you can roll a premade and get scaled up to test Torghast, the whole process takes maybe 20 minutes to get in), then comment.

If you don’t have alpha access, go read feedback on the alpha forums from people who have actually played it, then comment.

6 Likes

maybe, and this is just mad speculation here. but maybe the reason why the torments are starting at lvl 1 right now, on a testing build of the game, is so that the people they have asked to help test the game, can actually spend their time testing the feature that they are specifically trying to test right now… just maybe thats the reason it isn’t starting at level 10 like they have stated is the intention.

who knew that things in alpha might only be implemented a certain way for testing purposes.

Looks promising. Hope this is the beginning of the end for gogogo rush content and esports bros in this mmorpg.

1 Like

If that’s the case, you would think they might communicate it to testers so we could account for it in our feedback.

I think it’s more likely it’s bugged, but I haven’t heard anything to confirm that, so I can only go based on what is currently available to test.

1 Like

people still think that blizz’s “alphas” are for actual testing?

How exactly is this hypothetical “perfectly efficient” in any real world scenario? The only way this is “efficient” is if it exists in a vacuum devoid of time.

I inherited an already existing guild when the formal GM left the game. Wasn’t my choice, I just stepped up to take care of others. Its what casuals do, put real life and people before a video game.

That’s one hell of a straw man that you’ve created for yourself.

1 Like

You call it a strawman, I call it realizing people can put all kinds of labels on themselves and others. I also know moves people can take to have time to deal with timed content.

I recall this old gem:
Anyone worse then me is a scrubby casual
Anyone better then me is a no life basement dweller

To put that into perspective, I am likely a “no life basement dweller” to those who have issues with timers, even though it is not uncommon for me to come in over time on timed content that does not kick you for failing the timer. Yet to those who push the timed content higher and higher (M+16 and higher) just because I do timed content.

I never said that casuals never had issues with timers, I just said that those who don’t either just don’t let it get to them or they have made the timer so forgiving for themselves, it is a non-issue. The third possibility is they try to have windows of time where they can take care of such content, like making sure someone else can take care of a kid, answer the phone, etc. They still might have to deal with things themselves, life happens and all that, but do you think it is that uncommon, if there are others that can help them with RL issues, they they won’t be like “alright, I don’t want to be disturbed for x hours unless it is an emergency”?

I find another facet of casuals is they are either working on or have mastered time management so they can take care of 90% of RL issues and still get things done in game.

1. You are not in other people’s heads, only yours.

2. “Life finds a way” of throwing curve balls at you. Nothing can be planned for 100%, and honestly, for a video game, not that much effort should be put into planning, the video game should always take a back seat to real life needs and responsibilities.

You are using your experience which might be different from mine.

Ahem

Life does throw curve balls, but there are those with reserve hitters.

Is also something that those who work from home, need a break (nap or just alone time/time for things they like) could say. Maybe for some of them, the game is that “alone time” or what they do when they just want a break from RL deals.

Oh, and as far as the 100%?, did you even read my last bit?

Repeat, 90% NOT 100%, 90% and that was just off the top of my head, it could be 80%, 70%, and on down but if they get under 50% maybe they need to reevaluate their methods. Ninety percent just seems like the highest anyone can successfully pull off due to how life loves to throw curveballs.

If you really want to push that all casuals have issues with timers, stop and realize there are those that have come up with ways to limit RL issues at least for windows of time. There are those that have help some of the time, and if they know they don’t, they don’t get involved with anything they can’t pull away from.

I am doing nothing more then coming from a different angle, one that those who only see things one way might miss.

You realize that you are using other people’s quotes to reply to me, yes?

And again, NUANCE. I’m not saying that you don’t try to plan your recreational time. I’m saying that you don’t plan it to excess that it takes over the rest of your life, because that is unhealthy, and when push comes to shove, the VIDEO GAME takes the backseat to real-life responsibilities.

Am I? only quotes I saw, aside from yours, were my own. Unless you means that line about being disturbed, as that is just a general quote I have seen/heard when people need alone time or need to focus on something.

You were coming across like no one was able to plan even a small bit.

See, here we can actually agree. To put it in perspective, maybe one plans like 2-3 hours a day for themselves, it could be in game or out but it is time that, unless something major happens, it is for them and them alone. I have a feeling our discussions were going in circles because I was trying to argue that people do try and plan, yet you were, again to me, coming across like no one does.

In fact, most of the time when I want to get something done in game, aside from dailies or solo content, I find the part that takes the longest is finding the group. This is one reason why, if I am in a guild or set group, I like at least 1-2 days advanced warning so I can plan.