Black screen of death

can a game such as wow cause the desk top and icons not to load? just a black screen?

Howdy!

It’s more likely a third party conflict which can result in display issues. I would recommend the following steps before retesting the game:

1. Make sure your Operating System and display drivers are fully up to date. We offer a support article to assist with this Here.

2. Try disabling background applications such as Overlays, streaming applications or overclocking software. Selective Startup makes this pretty straight forward. Make sure to restart the PC to get into this mode.

Retest!
If the issue continues, please post up your Dxdiag for us to review. Copy the dxdiag contents into your reply, highlight the text then select the code block icon </>. This action will help us review the information faster.

Thank you!

I can’t even get to that stuff because the screen is totally black.

Howdy!

That sounds like a more serious issue not related to World of Warcraft such as with the system’s GPU or Monitor. At that point contacting the system manufacturer or a local PC repair shop would be the best next step.

I ended up doing the reset and redownloaded wow and t is running again. The people at Alienware were saying the opposite, that it was the game, lol.

Right! >,< Most likely a conflict occurred! Happy to see it was resolved!

What would you suggest as a better alternative to the AW17 R5? something with fewer problems with the same power in a laptop?

Brodec,

We aren’t able to provide hardware recommendations here as CS (we don’t want to make it seem that Blizzard is playing favorites for one company over another) but others on the forums might be able to provide some more advice if you’re looking for an upgrade. If you do swap out your PC, make sure to keep the system requirements in mind.