Bitter Sweet Clean Death

i would forgive garrosh before sylvanas. at least he was mostly honest about what he intended to do and why.

i wish tyrande had taken her head off. it would be hilarious to me to see tyrande walking around with sylvanas’ still living head hanging from her belt like mimir from god of war. i imagine malfurion would find it a bit awkward tho. XD

7 Likes
1 Like

XD volley ball with sylvanas severed head should be the new BG! no death, no combat, just sylvanas’s head bouncing around and some pandaren cook nearby handing out burgers and hot dogs. XD true peace at last.

I’d bet that there has been a lot of rewriting going on lately, otherwise they wouldn’t have promised so many people (especially Night Elves) justice just to have Sylvanas go friendly suddenly and have Tyrande forgive.

But then again they have been saying that Sylvanas isn’t evil even when she burned Teldrassil, or that the Night Elves had it coming for them, so what the hell do I know?

I don’t remember them saying that.

4 Likes

They said they think it’s what Horde players think. Not what they think.

(Source: Polygon intervew with Kevin Martens, September 2018.)

It can go three ways, but death is only the outcome in two of them.

1.) Heroic sacrifice as you describe that doesn’t really redeem her of her actions but gives her a classy way to go out - essentially what Garrosh got but probably with a better cutscene.

2.) The Illidan route. For whatever reason the Jailer cannot be outright destroyed so someone has to watch over him and make sure he doesn’t get loose again, so Sylvanas volunteers to be his Jailer and accepts her ‘fate’ at last to remain in the Maw forever. (How long forever is depending on if they ever want to do anything with the Shadowlands setting again as this is more of the ‘put on the shelf’ option.)

3.) Sylvanas helps the heroes defeat Zovaal and everything is fine (sort of). She decides to stay in the Shadowlands and look for Nathanos. However, just as everyone is about to part ways Lightforged soldiers of the Alliance start pouring in through a portal and kill her and kill or capture everyone else, as the first hint we have of the holy war that has been raging on Azeroth while we’ve been gone that is led by Turalyon. (This is sort of the wacky tie in ending. It would likely satisfy no one but the most Human Paladin of Human Paladin players, but it’s a possibility.)

Send Sylvanas to Revendreth. Plus I doubt the Forsaken will have her back after what she did in BFA.

Umm… What? All she did was leave, sure leaving Voss and Calia in charge isn’t great, but that is hardly a we hate your forever offense, especially given Calia ran off to the Shadowlands. Summary executing people trying to defect isn’t an issue either, and nobody seemed to care about that on the forsaken side anyway, so I doubt they’d start.

Let alone if we get back the rest of the soul halves, which should happen somewhere in dealing with Zovaal, that would be a fairly good reason for them to not care.

The Alliance is really the only side there is a major hurdle on, and their forgiveness isn’t something she needs.

Meanwhile on the Horde the way the rebellion handled itself was so backwards that just about everything can be thrown back in their face, as turning traitor because their feelings were hurt.

1 Like

She will survive, don’t you worry. Survive to suffer for her actions.

I eye roll each time I see the sentiment that Ranger General Sylvanas need to be redeemed for anything.

Unless Ranger General Sylvanas is actually evil, which I highly doubt that’s the route they are taking her character, then I don’t see why she needs to be redeemed.

I feels as though certain fans took a look at the 9.1 Sylvanas video and completely disregarded the part when she becomes a complete soul again. The Dark Lady aka Banshee Queen died when Zovaal stuffed the rest of Sylvanas’ soul back into her corpse.

At best he shot the mustache twirl out of her; at worst she’s a completely unrecognizable character(which I highly doubt.) that will eventually get the clean death that she deserves. The very first thing she does when reverted back to her whole self is try and warn her comrades of danger. Maybe Sylvanas is finally the Sylvanas that a few of her fans thought she was before and after EoN.

Anyway yes, If we’re at the end of the road(which I hope we’re not), a heroic sacrifice that ends in a clean death is acceptable.

You know I have imagined this until now; it could work! Maybe her first task would be freeing all the souls stolen by him as well.

There are 1,000 more boring uninteresting characters that should bite the dust before Sylvanas, but as long as she get’s her clean death I would be happy. A cinematic with Sylvanas, Blightcaller(if his dead dead) her parents, her brother, Rhonin and all those Sin’dorei that died during Arthas invasion walking off in an eternal sunset pastured field would be ideal.

1 Like

Ah, so the Jaina treatment?

4 Likes

Uh no not even close

1 Like

I don’t care about the Ranger General. Halduron Brightwings been doing that job and he’s a character so forgettable I only know how to spell his name because I kept looking it up.

I think Sylvanas could’ve been a great villain. She certainly was in BFA. And in the great tradition of villain lieutenants blasting off again, she could’ve been kept on hand to menace us. We need a good rogue’s gallery. Reoccurring villains are fun.

Or at the very least she should’ve gone out in the most Sylvanas way possible. Indignant, condescending and with as much Blight dripping from her words as her arrows.

At least Garrosh got that mercy. I didn’t have to watch the furious and unrelenting interdimensonal war criminal get all weepy and apologetic. The man’s last words were basically “GARROSH DID NOTHING WRONG”. Say whatever you want, he died as he lived, violently and mad as hell.

I could use a lot of words to describe the Banshee Queen. But until recently pathetic wasn’t one of them. But passed out crying on the ground because she just realized the guy themed entirely around chains, shackles and subjugation might’ve been a slaver this whole time.

Just - so, so disappointing. The Dark Lady dies not with a Banshee Scream loud enough to crack the earth, but a half hearted whimper about how we gotta stop Captain Generic from reaching the McGuffin. Gag me with a spoon.

4 Likes

I don’t think restoring the missing part of her soul (aka the Ranger General) destroys the Banshee Queen majority of her soul (even the short story Zovaal referred to her as just a ‘piece’ of her); just a reunification. She’ll have full memory of what she thought and did as Dark Lady Sylvanas, just (you’d assume) with the positive emotions/conscience restored. So actually showing guilt for the things she did, but not a ‘new’ character by any stretch of the imagination.

1 Like

I’m with Ethriel on this one.

(Honestly, never thought I’d ever say that huh.)

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:@your Halduron comment

As for the RG Sylvanas comment. I on the other hand have cared a lot about what happens to RG Sylvanas since WC3.

Maybe if they would have eased the peddle on the mustache twirl.

Actually this the absolutely worst outcome, Blizzard could do anything but this and I would be happy. Literally.

She got played by a Death God, who has had part of her soul locked away in his magic drawer. Seems a far cry from pathetic.

Alas, I’m eagerly awaiting more Sylvanas-Zovaal history. There is so much to unpack and repack that its gonna take a lot to to fasten. He could have had part of her soul locked away since WC3.

I think if what Zovaal is selling is more than “Kill everything and serve me” the story could be intriguing. Imagine if what he ultimately wants is something that half or nearly half the player base could support/agree with and all this Maw business has been a necessary evil.

I absolutely agree.

That would be so dope.

1 Like

And they had a great opportunity to hint that there was more to him in the cinematic. I was really curious to see what he was going to evolve into when he got his thunderstone back.

And uh. Well if that model was the final boss at the end of a Torghast run I wouldn’t even bat an eye. He looks completely indistinguishable from the other random Maw denizens; which is to say mostly gray, pointy and forgettable.

If he had turned into something beautiful, angelic even, that would have me curious about where this is going.

But somehow I think mr.gray growls is up to no good.

1 Like

You and I both. Is it too late to hope there is more to him tho?

I really doubt it. His means are so wantonly cruel- torturing the souls of innocents to break them into emotionless husk automatons - that I can’t picture an end that would even sort of justify them.

If anything it’s probably going to be because oh wouldn’t you know it there’s actually an even bigger, badder evil he means to stop.

And I’m done if it’s that. Because the bucks gotta stop somewhere and it’s not like Sargeras became reasonable when we found out he was mad about the Void. Planetary genocide and using souls for fuel so even in death they can know no mercy is bad, actually, regardless of what your end game is.

Sargeras at least had the good sense to stay behind the scenes though. When he popped up in that cinematic it was an Oh Ish moment. Guy definitely wasn’t shorter than I expected, I’ll give him that. And even in his defeat he struck a wound against the world that had defied him.

That’s how you do a Satan character. You have us fight his colorful lieutenants, of which the Legion had no shortage of, and have him be larger than life and incomprehensibly dangerous if he ever turns up.

Meanwhile I’m not even scared of the Jailor. His attempts to defy me in the Maw feel more like a guy sleepily pawing at his alarm and finally getting up rather than the greatest threat the heroes of Azeroth have ever known.