Big Blood Elf Customization Thread

Oh yea there are definitely some people that smoke crack and think that garabage. I think both themes definitely have their place and ofc it would be a secondary theme.

8 Likes

I think one point of issue I have w the Sunwell being restored and I think it was Somand and Lance and Avarie who pointed it out to me but I do dislike how heavily involved Dranei were, like arguably BEs re igniting the Sunwell could have leaned less on that idk

5 Likes

It’d be fine if not considered the ‘default’, but it just feels like people are trying to turn them into lightforged draenei and boring, mary-sue elves that have no flavor or personality. Their origin was that they leaned on darker themes and had more nuance than ‘prissy, prim, pure and proper’ nonsense like people obsessed with high elves want.

To me, trying to push light as the main theme just makes them high elves lite, and I don’t like high elves. At all. I find them incredibly boring.

Now, again, if the ‘light’ stuff was phoenix themed and such like that, I’d get behind it, as that would be unique. Tauren have their own thing, as do Zandalari, but it bugs me that people either want blood elves to be draenei elves or humans with pointy ears. Which is what would be the case with generic ‘light’ tattoos and ‘FOR THE LIGHT’ nonsense they keep trying to push in the story.

Making ‘the light’ more in line with phoenix stuff would mend this, be a unique flavor, and fit incredibly well with the theme of ‘destroyed at one point but rose from the ashes’.

Sunwell restoration was a big meh in the story to me, personally, for that reason. It made blood elves lose their uniqueness entirely. This would be mended by multiple themes, but as far as I’m concerned, if the only get light themes, they’re ‘horde high elves’ which is boring and makes them lose their original draw.

7 Likes

The fact the Alliance canonically did Sunwell Plateau is ethically wrong.

6 Likes

I think the best thing is for us to have a good mixture of stuff. For customization sake but also to fill in the gray area. In history most elves have had differences. It’s not out of the realm of possibility for Belves to be that way among each other. And it’s pretty much shown in story with how the Farstriders feel about Blood Knights.

And it feels really relatable that these characters don’t always get along or agree. Because even within family, there isn’t a hivemind.

11 Likes

Agreed, and this is the big problem with Blizzard. It seems like there’s this big competition to be heard because they don’t listen to the community, especially the story or customization community. So it feels like they do turn everything into this ‘hivemind’ mentality, the ‘you’ll get this singular theme and be happy’ because they simply do not listen and have not listened. They appeal to one type of person per race and it gets incredibly tiresome.

Hopefully they’ll listen to all of the voices that like various aspects of a race rather than just one. There’s definitely differing opinions here on the direction of blood elves and it’d be nice if they expanded on them all.

11 Likes

I use the honor steed (red, black, and silver instead of red, black, and gold) and it looks really good with my blood knight… I always found the skulls a bit goofy, but it is what it is.

I like the Prestigious mounts, but don’t do much PVP in the game. I have for things I needed or wanted, but only dabble instead of playing consistently enough to unlock those mounts. Maybe eventually. If they do an expac where they invest some into PVP.

4 Likes

They could honestly use a bit more variety on the steps along the way, but I do a lot of random battlegrounds anyway…

So I like having a nice on-theme pony for my blood elf pally.

5 Likes

It looks really nice. I could see it working really well with that mog.

4 Likes

Shame the nightmare armored horse is so high in the honor system, it looks so neat.

6 Likes

Not sure if it’s been said in this thread yet, but I’d like to see a greater variety of eye shapes like what the Nightborne got. I’d also like BEs to get VE hairstyles - without the glowy tendrils, of course.

7 Likes

Yes! I would love to have this hairstyle (Scandal) on my blood elf Hunter. The more wild look to it really helps sell the Ranger vibe.

7 Likes

Every race needs dreadlocks. No half measures. Give farstriders dreadlocks.

11 Likes

As do I.

That doesn’t mean, as a few have said while I’ve been away, that there isn’t room for the goody Light folk. Blood elves are a varied group and some division is neat.

But I really want to see them go back to a more dark and, as you say, gritty setup.

We need more of all of our theme concepts in customizations. It can’t focus on just one, that wouldn’t be taking the race into account.

Farstrider, magisters and blood knights are major aspects of the Belves.

Felblood, Darkfallen and San’layn are easy subrace options.

Dark Animus and Blood Mages would be nice to see more often.

There is so much there for blood elves for blizzard to pull from.

Most of my hunters use that too.

This!

It’s getting very annoying that current Blizz Devs don’t see anything else with Blood Elves.

I just don’t think they know who blood elves are anymore.

I do agree with this.

While it’s fun to play with light tentacles and wings it doesn’t fit blood elves.

Going through runes/tattoos and Phoenix motiff I think is far better.

Seriously think the current Devs just don’t know belf lore.

Aye it should be an aspect but not everything.

Which is what it’s felt like recently.

Those people are so weird.

Blood elves are the same people who’ve always lived there… If anything the odd ones out are the high elves who abandoned their people over politics when they needed them most.

Like. A few sitting around SW and some other little Alliance places was like whatever, but when Wrath came out and there was an entire militant faction of high elves was always a little weird to me.

Until the purge I did like the SC of course… (and I only experienced the purge about a year ago mind.) but they always seemed out of place with the Belf story to me.

… I’ve wandered from my point. I think the high elves are the “invasive” ones.

I can see what you’re saying.

I don’t want the Sunwell unrestored I’m more chaffing at the way our Blood Knights have morphed into effectively any regular human paladin and that aspect of the Blood Elves is seemingly the main plot now.

This.

Yeahp.

All of this.

Thhhiiiisss!

Hmm I’ll add the eye shape bit to my list.

Hell I’ll add the Velf hairstyles sans tentacles too.

I love several of the hairstyles and would love em on my Belves.

1000% this.

10 Likes

tbf the Light is the main thing that blood elves do that no one else in the Horde does. Orcs do martial discipline, tauren and trolls do the whole one with the wilderness thing, Nightborne do the highborne masters of the arcane thing, Forsaken do the whole victims of the Scourge thing.

You can’t really blame them for leaning on the Light thing.

I always liked the magitech angle with the golems and the brooms.

There’s a lot more niches blood elves could delve into than just “The Red Team Light Guys”.

5 Likes

Yeah, the solution isn’t to make them carbon copies of preachy Lightforged Draenei or human paladins.

6 Likes

Nightborne do that as well. Except they’ve got magic vacuum cleaners instead of brooms.

Sure, but currently that’s the only real one that they have that they don’t share now.

I can when they make Lor’themar into a Paladin. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like