BfA dungeon scaling way off

Hey, friendos, thought I’d give you a shout about the dungeon scaling for BfA dungeons… I’ve done a couple in the last few days - Atal’Dazar on a 20-something mage and Freehold on a 50 priest with pretty good gear - and they were both INTENSELY hard. Like… doing a mythic key in quest greens hard. OLD quest greens. People getting one-shot all over the place, everyone dying over and over again, fights taking exorbitantly long times. Atal’Dazar we managed to stick out (with a rotating crew of folks who left because they’d had enough), but Freehold we couldn’t get through, just couldn’t stay alive.

Is everyone else experiencing this?

sounds to me like they finally gave the content a tune-up. Now every dungeon clear will feel like an accomplishment, not only high-level content.

Great job, Blizzard. Thank you for lsitening.

This seems to be dungeons in general, the scaling can easily make them significantly different in difficulty from what you’d have expected in the past.

I leveled my DH through Outland Chromie time, and as I went Vengeance I decided I might as well at least do the dungeon quests I happened across in the process, since tanks get quick enough queues to make it practical. Ended up doing Hellfire Ramparts, Shattered Halls, and Mana-Tombs in the process.

In the past, the difficulty would have been from easy to hard, Ramparts, Mana-Tombs, and Shattered Halls in that order. This time around? Shattered Halls actually proved to be a virtual cakewalk - even though this was the first time I had tanked a dungeon as DH and in fact the first time I’d tanked any dungeon since Legion! Ramparts, on the other hand, felt significantly harsher than ever, almost like I’d picked Heroic by mistake. Mana-Tombs still lay in between, IMO.

Yeah, Blizzard has never really nailed the level scaling. Certain level ranges and/or expansions are randomly way harder than those before or after. You also have to deal with missing a portion of your tool-kit relative to what that content was designed for. I healed a Freehold on my Disc Priest when she was still in her teens, and we breezed through it. A few levels later, I was struggling to keep people up in AD, the other BfA starter dungeon. People weren’t doing the mechanics though, so that didn’t help.

Freehold is pretty brutal the higher your level. If you’re low level, it’s much easier. The scaling is absolutely backwards. You do way more damage and healing the lower your level is and you get weaker and weaker the higher you get. It feels bad. I think the dungeon is pretty fun, but you have to follow mechanics and not do huge pulls. I would be completely fine with the difficulty if you didn’t get so much weaker as you gain levels.

Also, as a level 40+ healer, healing a very low level tank seems like your heals do nothing, but become a little more appropriate with a tank closer to your level, but still not great.

1 Like