Beta still unplayable on Intel Macs

This is a post here, as well as ones on the Beta forums - Beta is currently unplayable on Intel Macs. Repeated crashes requiring force quits and occasionally a hard restart. Love that I got another chance to be in a Beta, 100% frustrated that upon entering the new areas (Dragon Isles) the game becomes unplayable. I might get a few minutes, maybe even a couple of quests done, then it locks up. It feels like once the first lock up happens, it just goes downhill from there and they become more and more frequent, but I haven’t timed the crashes to see if that is true or not.

2019 27" iMac Retina 5K
macOS Monterey 12.6
3.6 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 G

2 Likes

Adding a second to this as we still haven’t seen any acknowledgement either here in Mac Technical Support or in the Beta Forum.

I agree with Littlelady’s impression that once the lock-ups start they hit with increasing frequency. I can sometimes play for 30 - 40 minutes before the first lockup but then (after a force quit and restarting the game) I will lockup again after just a couple minutes and that seems to trend worse and worse and on a number of occasions I got down to the point where the game is only responsive for a few seconds after logging in.

For what it’s worth, MacBook Pro 16 inch, 2019
Intel 2.3 Ghz 8-Core i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
32GB RAM

In case someone from Blizzard reads this: the issue seems to affect any Mac user who has an Intel-based Mac (users with M1 / M2 Macs do not seem to have the issue).

1 Like

What makes you sure users on M1 don’t have issue? I found the client too unstable/useless on my m1 max, granted I haven’t tried last few builds since most users still have problems with them

they’re just not posting in this thread. this thread was created despite one already existing

I searched forums here before posting and only found two posts, the most recent from 2020. There is definitely one in the Beta forums, but it has also gone unacknowledged/answered, so decided to try the Mac Technical forum instead. I see some posts from M1 users where there are sound issues, and on all Mac OS users where the player arrow is missing from the mini-map.

was literally 2 posts under this one. But it was called alpha not beta when it started so maybe you searched beta?

Yup. I searched for Dragonflight Beta, not alpha since that is where I (and it appears many others) are having the issues.

It might help if Tavlina added /Beta to the title of his thread. Then it might show up for folks searching for that term on Google.

Intel Macs have been suffering from repeated Crashes since Alpha and It has been reported over and over. We have yet to get a Response in the form of a Blue Post. Come on Blizzard at least let us know you are aware of the problems.

3 Likes