(BETA) Dragonflight Priest Talent Tree Feedback Thread

SW:D works during that burst window once within that execute percent range. But prior to that it wont.

Target swaps don’t just happen at a low HP target. It can happen in PvP a lot where you dot up multiple targets and build up orbs/procs and then target swap and load into a target without dotting it up BECUASE Mind Spike should hit so hard that it can do massive damage in as short period of time before dots can run their course.

In PvE, an add can spawn that requires everyone or range to swap and burst down. With this type of situation, putting up dots would be useless as the add should die within 10 sec imo. So Mind Spike and Mind Blast combo followed by double tapping SW:D should be best.

Not really, Mastery didn’t affect Mind Blast and Mind Spike or DOTs by itself in Cata. You needed to trigger it by consuming 1 orb first. But you can still burst with ZERO Shadow Orbs and without DA up all the time just fine back then.

1 Like

Cata also had a different mastery so yea it’s currently a mastery thing.

It’s not really a surprise that cata priest doesn’t really work well with the current priest mastery it wasn’t built for it.

But again… Yes Cata Mastery made Shadow Orbs MORE powerful and once consumed with Mind Blast or Mind Spike, it did make them hit HARDER.

But…

Without Shadow Orbs, Mind Blast and Mind Spike still hit HARD.

You can always Burst with Mind Blast and Mind Spike without any orbs up and without Dark Archangel up all the time. Because of the fact that Mind Blast and Mind Spike just simply put hit hard at a base level.

They do not hit hard at a base level now. THAT is what needs to be addressed.

Regardless how powerful Mastery affects the DOT aspect of Shadows current mastery, that doesn’t factor in if a target will die in a quick fashion. So that means you would loose time damaging a quick kill target if you have to apply dots first which then means your Mind Blast and Mind Spike should be the better use case for damaging that target into execute range.

So that Means you wont gain much from changing Mastery but you can potentially loose a LOT if mastery was changed to throw off the DOT/ROT aspect in favor of Mind Blast / Mind Spike spam.

And that was with a different mastery. Just buffing them with the current mastery to make them hit harder isn’t going to work unless they do something to make the mastery not matter.

AS it is in crap gear mind blast is hitting for a max of 70k.

Yes… that is what I been saying. Its not really a Mastery issue, its a baseline damage issue.
The only reason I included the Mastery scaling potential from Shadow Orbs is so it can still scale throughout gaining gear.

So I think at least the base damage of Mind Blast and Mind Spike needs to be increased to hit that quick kill swap mark AND I think introducing an additional scaling feature via something like shadow Orbs to take a portion of Mastery would keep that style of play competitive as you gear up

Then it’s a mastery issue because that is what we are balanced around.
Would I like a less crappy mastery sure but I’ve no clue if they are working on that or not.

1 Like

But that’s Why Mind Spike as the dot rip affect. That nullifies the Mastery interaction.

So increase base damage and perhaps amp it up with orbs and now you don’t need dots to do more damage from Mind Spike / Mind Blast.

1 Like

I want to see a nerfed version of the current mastery made into a talent and placed on the right side of the tree somewhere. Maybe in place of a useless filler talent like piercing shadows.

1 Like

You are literally arguing to change the mastery and to keep it the same. Which one do you really want?

1 Like

The perception of lost damage will still be there unless the tooltip explicitly states that the spell deals damage regardless of mastery. Mind Spike could deal triple the damage if every other spell and players would still complain about its missing mastery damage. Player perception and feelings are the most important element in this argument.

Changing the mastery into a talent means that the player has the agency to opt out of needing to care about the “missing” damage from mind spike.

I see it more like how Havoc Demon Hunters have a talent that converts other non Chaos damage spells into Chaos damage to benefit from Mastery.

So with Shadow, having some sort of augmentation to Mind Spike in the form of a talent granting Mastery or at the very least just enhancing its base damage.

One idea I just had was to take Mastery from WoD…

• Mastery: Mental Anguish
    Increases the damage of Mind Blast, Mind Spike, and Mind Flay by 20%.

And maybe that gets applied as a debuff on the target upon Mind Spike use.

• Mental Anguish
    Your Mind Spike applies Mental Anguish to your target, increasing the damage of your Mind Spells by [Mastery Percent] for 5 sec.

Either that can be a talent or baked into Mind Spike.

That would then both solve the burst issue and keep the dot ripping effect in tact to balance out using Mind Spike during quick bursts or Mind Flay with your Dots on primary target.

Would something like what I just suggested above ^ be a bit more acceptable in terms of having that “notification” and thus dispelling any incorrect “perception” from the masses?

Repost for visibility

Some thoughts regarding current trees in shadow side.

Mind spike-1
Vampiric insight -1
Coalescing shadows -1
Mind melt -1
Puppet master -1
Harnessed shadow-1
Psychic link-2
Whispers of the damned-2
Mastermind-2
Insidious ire-2
Mind devourer -2

That’s far too many talents for 1 spell, 16 out of 30. Blizz has a habit of doing this. It happened in shadowlands with conduits or legendaries. Were they would completely nuke a talent or spells effectiveness and then bring it up to par/buff it thru conduits.

The capstones also need work. The 3 talents before the capstone lunacy & idol of yogg, all interact with mindblast but these capstones don’t have a strong emphasis on that. The shadowflame prism capstone and it’s prior talents have synergy.

Lunacy- awful and boring talent

Idol of yogg- takes way too long to spawn and when it does it’s damage is awful.

Idol cthun - see no way this competes with nzoth. 15secs way too long. Useless in pvp. Hard to say now, but if shadow overflows with insanity without this talent, it becomes even worse. Void tendrils look cool and visually fit the theme. It was nice in legion. I think this would be better as 1 point investment, easily accessible to shadow. Maybe have it do something more interesting.

I’m also torn between having dark ascension and voidform. What’s the intent or goal here? Do you want us picking both? There’s a ton to juggle between da, vf, pi,mb,ms,mindgames, all the “stacks” buffs. Assuming you take voidform. If you don’t take voidform you also render several pvp talents completely dead. Maybe having DA and VF be a choice node and then branch out the talent tree options to reflect that playstyle.

Surrender to madness - the real madness is not letting this talent die a long time ago. Something I would’ve liked to seen with voidform in bfa/shadowlands was a contagion talent that locks have as a pvp talent. You could make this as a choice node, hungering void for single target or this rot aoe. This would’ve been great in pvp. as you pop VF and the enemy team begins to rot from dots. Death by a 1000 cuts. Some of us old enough to remember when dots did damage and rotted enemies. I know monomania is similar to that, but it’s on the far left of the tree and you rarely cast mindflay or mind sear in pvp.

Also do pve players like the shadowflame prism playstyle? mind sear getting buffed, apparitions, shadow crash applying vt & swp, psychic link, swd aoe via pain dots, is this play style still necessary??? Seems like a lot of redundancy. I’ve never been a fan of pets for spriests since they were introduced a long time ago. I have a lock for that. Maybe it’s just me.

Mind trauma- adjust this. This talent became useless once you changed MF cast time.

Lastly I don’t think void torrent has a place anymore, no reason why I would take it over shadowcrash. This spell best use was in legion when it paused insanity for a play style that no longer exists. Probably best to just remove it.

3 Likes

Some serious changes on the PTR:

• PRIEST
    • Class Tree

• Throes of Pain – Now a 2-point talent further down in the tree. Increases Shadow Word: Pain damage by 3%/5% and returns 3/5 Insanity or 0.5%/1.0% mana.

• Tithe Evasion – Now in the Class tree (was Shadow tree).

• Improved Mind Blast has been removed.

• Translucent Image – Fade reduces damage you take by 10% (was 5%).

• Dominant Mind renamed to Dominate Mind – Now an active spell as a choice against Mind Control. Mana cost changed to match Mind Control’s mana cost.

• Holy Nova – Damage and healing increased by 75%.

• Mind Blast – Cooldown reduced to 9 seconds (was 15 seconds).

• Phantasm – No longer a choice against Translucent Image.

• Twist of Fate – Fixed an issue causing Twist of Fate to not trigger.

• Discipline

• Balance In All Things renamed to Twilight Equilibrium.

• Aegis of Wrath – Power Word: Shield absorbs 50% additional damage but the absorb amount decays by 3% every 1 second (was 30%).

• Holy

• Reorganized the bottom of the tree and a copy nodes early in the tree.

• Holy Fire – Holy Fire now replaces Mind Blast for Holy Priest.

• Burning Vehemence has been redesigned – Increases the damage of Holy Fire by 25%.

• Searing Light – Increases the damage of Smite and Holy Nova by 25%/50% against targets affected by your Holy Fire (was 15%/30%).

• Resonant Words – Casting a Holy Word spell increases the healing of your next Heal or Flash Heal by 25%/50% (was 15%/30%).

• New Talent: Divine Image – When you use a Holy Word spell, you have a chance to summon an image of a Naaru at your side. For 15 seconds, whenever you cast a spell, the Naaru will cast a similar spell.

• Miracle Worker – Holy Word: Serenity and Holy Word: Sanctify gain an additional charge.

• Spirited Litany renamed to Answered Prayers – After your Prayer of Mending heals 100 / 50 times, gain Apotheosis for 8 seconds. Does not reset the cooldown of Holy Words when triggered.

• Guardians of the Light – Tooltip updated. Guardian Spirit also grants you 100% of its effects when used on an ally.

• Desperate Times – Increases healing by 10%/20% on friendly targets below 50% (was 6%/12%).

• Shadow

• The Shadow tree has been reorganized.

• Dark Evangelism – Fixed a bug causing Mind Sear damage to not be increased by Dark Evangelism.

• Hallucinations – Now Baseline as Shadow.

• Dark Ascension – Now a choice node against Void Eruption. Duration increased to 20 seconds (was 18 seconds). Damage per stack increased to 5% (was 4%). No longer requires or consumes Dark Evangelism.

• Mind Spike – No longer removes damage over time effects. Critical Strike chance bonus to Mind Blast moved to Mind Melt.

• Mind Melt – The tooltip has been updated. Mind Spike reduces the cast time of your next Mind Blast by 50%, and increases its critical strike chance by 50%, stacking up to 2 times. Lasts 10 seconds.

• Derangement – Increases Mind Sear damage by 20% instead of increasing its cast speed.

• Mind Sear – Updated Mind Sear behavior for a better experience. Added extra initial tick. Now costs Insanity immediately and cancels as soon as the Priest doesn’t have enough Insanity.

• Mind Devourer – Now a 1-point node with a 15% trigger chance. The trigger effect now affects Devouring Plague or Mind Sear.

• Shadowy Apparitions – Fixed a bug that caused periodic Devouring Plague to spawn Shadowy Apparitions.

• Silence – Range changed to 40 yards to offset the loss of Silence (Rank 2).

• Damnation – Cooldown increased to 1 minute (was 45 seconds).

• Void Torrent – Cooldown increased to 1 minute (was 30 seconds). Damage increased by 25%.

• Malediction – Now a 2-point talent. Reduces the cooldown of Damnation and Void Torrent by 15 seconds/30 seconds.

• Voidform – Duration increased to 20 seconds (was 15 seconds).

• Void Bolt – Cooldown reduced to 6 seconds (was 9 seconds).

• Ancient Madness – Now affects Dark Ascension and Voidform. Now increases critical chance by 10%/20% for 20 seconds reducing by 0.5%/1.0% per second (was 15%/30% for 15 seconds reducing by 1%/2% per second).

• Surrender to Madness has been removed.

• Hungering Void has been removed.

• Piercing Shadows has been removed.

• Lunacy has been removed.

• Vampiric Insight renamed to Shadowy Insight – Now triggers from Shadow Word: Pain periodic damage instead of Vampiric Touch periodic damage.

4 Likes

RIOTS :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Lordy, I’m liking these changes.

2 Likes

Mind spike not consuming DoTs, i needed this change so much.

4 Likes

100 percent. big win

One big thing I am curious about…

Throes of Pain – why was this changed to a 2 talent point? 1 was more than enough imo…

I think cause they baked mind blast cd into the spell, so to balance out the “power” of each talent point they thought 2 for that was good?