Best VPN for gaming?

Yes I know VPN isn’t really recommended for gaming but I need one, and everyone and their dog online seems to be selling or sponsored by one VPN or another so it seems hard to figure it all out and it filter out the noise.

So, please tell me a VPN you had a good experience with in WoW, and my second priority would be if it is really good at blocking ads.

Thank you.

Edit: I am leaning toward Surfshark, because PC Gamer seems to reccomend it and its pretty cheap. Anyone with experience on that one?

Edit2: Is there any WoW/Blizzard TOS issue with using a VPN?

I mean, I use NordVPN and I been really happy with it. Freaks out my banking app every time I switch servers but overall I really like it.

I always turn it off on my desktop before I play WOW, but what ads are you referring to? VPN just encrypts your data so anyone accessing it can’t read it. It won’t really effect any ads you are getting

You could get a ad blocker, those are free

2 Likes

It’s not against the rules but you may get flagged a lot for suspicious logins if it changes your “location” too much.

i have NordVPN, got it pretty cheap from a youtubers code. no issues with WoW at all, a blue even said ina thread about em that they can tell the difference between a VPN location and a physical change. so in the year or so ive had it and forgetting i have it on, ive never had an issue with any Blizz games.

Nord does have like an adblock built in, i dunno how well it works as i also use ublock, but i have noticed it blocking some videos on… well other areas of the internet… which probably means its blocking something bad, so im good with it.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/using-a-vpn-and-playing-wow/89360/4

i dunno where the one i saw was, and yes it can happen, but usually overturned quickley, because they can usually tell the difference. i should have worded it better, but its not something you need to really worry about.

You can get flag if:

1. If you changed locations suddenly like US to JP in less than 5 minutes.
  2. Boters and DDOS are using your VPN provider

in a year, i have not gotten a single flag. i have forgotten that i had it on a turned it off while in game, which DC’s me and then i relogged in seconds later with it off, changing from canada to america in seconds. and never gotten flagged.

is it possible? yes. will it be a massive problem? no.

I’ve been using a VPN for years and haven’t had issues with Blizzard over it. They can tell if your IP is from a datacenter or residential, so they’re likely aware of who is and who isn’t using one. It’s not specifically for gaming so much as it is for pretending that I’m Canadian. The one I’m using is Private Internet Access.

I use AVG Secure VPN. I been using it for a few years. I have a choice of locations but I keep the same unless something happens and it resets. I have had no issues with using a VPN and playing WoW.

I use Private Internet Access too. Never had any issues with it.

1 Like

But…why? Are you trying to hide something? I don’t see a need for a VPN because I’m not doing anything bad on the internet.

1 Like

I’m not doing anything wrong in my house, but I still draw the blinds at night.

1 Like

I’m asking a serious question in my post, a sarcastic remark adds nothing. I’ve never understood why people use vpns, its always felt like they are hiding behind a mask in a way or “masking their location”. I can understand FBI, CIA, ect using vpns to mask locations but the average user? Makes no sense.

1 Like

it wasn’t meant to be sarcastic. you can want privacy even if you’re not breaking the law.

4 Likes

Nord VPN best experience. If you have lag just change to another server, done.

Argentina.

I also use NordVPN. Easy to use, and I got a really good deal on a two-year subscription.

No but some people have found their accounts locked for suspicious activity due to VPN use. Just set up sms protect in the off chance that happens.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just not any of Comcast’s business that I’m posting on the WoW forums right now.

1 Like