Best tank for RBG's?

I have lately been getting into tanky characters that do well in RBG’s. I love RBG’s because they kill time in-between other stuff or waiting for others to log on.

So my question is this…What is a highly sought after tank that does pretty well in Random BG’s?

I currently have @120:

Paladin (Ret, but I can switch)
Druid (Currently guardian)
This DK (Never gone blood, but can)
DH (Havoc, but again, can respec)

Sitting around 115 and willing to work on them I also have:

Monk
Warrior

Or do I just wait until Tinkerer and hope it comes with a tank spec?

Thanks!

Only 3 worth playing atm are guardian vengeance and prot pally

prot warrior I feel is only good on eots but beats other 2

1 Like

What is your goal?

and playstyle do you enjoy

Well, overall goal I think for anyone is just enjoyment, but I would like to be as effective as possible…

So for instance, possibly being a flag carrier in WSG, or being and orb holder in ToK.

When I need to get my M+ in (10 or higher), I would not like to get snuffed. I know tanks are usually taken no matter what if you are good, but even a smidge under-geared, I would LOVE to be wanted in any +10’s.

I know “tanks” aren’t necessarily super effective in most epic BG’s and I am fine with that. I am fine just being that lonely tank waiting to tank the last boss, but I would like to provide meaningful assistance in some manner.

I also realize tanks aren’t super needed in any Arena-based Pvp. It’s usually High DPS mixed with good healing. But I would not be opposed to being accepted into a 3’s.

I know that seems super specific, but that is kind what I am looking at.

Hope that helped. lol

Druid is best if that is what you are looking for… INSANE and I mean INSANE for Epic BG random and super super fun for WSG … high mobility plus easy in for Mythic +

I can surely attest to the fun of being a bear druid ( always was my class fantasy ) but I wanted to be a dps Bear. I feel being so sturdy and hard to bully off of points has made me feel leagues more useful then when I kept trying to be feral.

druid and prot pal.

veng DH is squishy as heck, jumps can easily be countered by 100 IQ player with things such as stuns death grips snares etc

prot pal has a really good blessing of freedom talent, can also immediately cleanse snares with conc (talent) and with talents can use divine steed for speed and snare immunity for 10 seconds in a row. very very strong for crossing map.

1 Like

honestly everyone says brewmasters are the worst but I had tons of fun playing a low ilvl one I got the LFR trident on. I’m not sure if they nerfed hot trub, but even a brewmaster was fun for me to play. Especially in random bgs where you can’t get kicked unless you actually AFK.

I would say any one of them can be great, but the ones that run the flags excellent are probably druid/dh primarily. I’ve seen prot pallies show up a lot and I play prot warrior myself mostly… they are great too. But the best running carts/flags cheese is probly DH and Druid. Druid can stealth to the flag in cat form, big tanky bear form… DH get trample and billions of leaps.

1 Like

Yeah. I have a 115 Monk that I JUST switched to Brewmaster. Seems fun in questing. I wish it had a little better RNG on the health globe drops. When I was leveling my guardian druid I could EASILY do the “3-man” boss quests and walk away with full health never having had touched a healing spell other than Frenzied regen. I can still do them effectively, but it does seem like I get down to like 1/2 health.

It’s just a different mindset of tanking. The Brewmaster seems to be built a LOT around dodge chance. Which is GREAT if RNJesus is on your side. But you could get unlucky streaks where you get hit every time, and with leather…the health drops fast.

It’s a 40 yard leap with two charges on an 8-second cooldown… also remembering that it can do funky things like get you onto ledges, it is most definitely not easily countered. Not reliably countered, anyway.

Go DH or druid. DH appears to be the go-to for rateds because of z axis shenanigans but I’ll bet my left foot that druid takes their spot if that’s ever adequately addressed. Druid seems more enjoyable and flexible in randoms anyway.

Stealth, battle res, 0 cooldown root/snare break, and all that.

youre right

it is.

but

if you get death gripped its gg
get snared? cant break it
get stunned? cant break it.

my pally has cc immunity , and a shield, and self heals, and can break snares and can freedom and can speed boost.

while i am on my divine steed, and using the talent… i am immune tio death coil, immune to stun, etc. this makes crossing so much easier. in my opinion of course. ive played DH for years. high moblity? sure! weak as **** yup! the weakest most squisheiest tank in the game? you know it.

im not sure if the little leap is worth it

Gdruid is the highest rated tank right now. /Shrug

I hear ya. I don’t think I have the time or skill yet to get to 2k+. So I am going to try both seeing as I have a Gdruid and DH at 120 already. Gdruid is fun, however, I do notice a severe focus. For whatever reason, it seems like when you are around 1700-1800, everyone just kinda derps and lets me Infernal Strike all around the place when I am a DH.

The one thing I am NOT very good at is form swapping to maximize HoT’s and stuff on myself. When there is heavy action going on, I sometimes lose focus and realize I forgot to go back into bear form or travel form and I get stun locked in the worst possible form. lol

I’ll give Vengeance a try and see what happens.

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

1 Like

It really is. Death grip is usable by one class on a 25 second CD iirc and DHs aren’t any more or less susceptible to stuns than others so I’m not sure why you list that as a drawback.

Paladins are okay for support I guess but they’re stunted as FCs/orb holder due to abysmal mobility and inability to bubble/BoP with the flag. Even DK’s enjoy some snare immunity at least- can’t be slowed below 70%.

Would not recommend paladin versus other tanks.

Paladin can be pretty solid, except in deepwind gorge. Encumbrance can be overcome by, I think, everyone but a druid and paladin.

It is so brutal.

Gurdian Druid is your best Choice. Just imagine you are all Mythic/ M +10 Geared and you have 800k-900k Health Pool. It will take three player to kill u when u r protecting a Nods . and if you get a Pocket healer behind you, You will be Immortal. And i didn’t mention your Aoe Damage and Insane Healing. As Gurdian Druid you will easily top in Damage Done and Healing Done. Even as Gurdian you will do more healing than a Healer.

Vengeance DH is the next one, They have insane mobility and very good CC capability. Self Healing is Crap, very squishy and Without a healer dies very fast.

Guardian without a doubt is RBG tier 1

All other tanks tier 2

Brewmaster is worst and you shouldn’t even bother with. I say that coming from a brewmaster.

Go Guardian, 800k health with massive heals, damage, mobility and utility… they are overtuned in many ways.

I am giving my DH a whirl. I changed him over to Vengeance and started to BG. So far I am loving it. That being said I have only done a WSG and an AB (apparently getting OG queues. lol). Ran 2 flags back with EASE in WSG…a rogue insisted on running back the 3rd flag I guess…he popped every CD to get ahead of me in the tunnel. Even grabbing the sprint buff. lol

AB was MEGA fun last night.

We obviously capped farm, and BS and Mine, but after the LM cap by alliance, like 8-9 of them all floated down to BS from LM, So I decide to go LM and “backcap”. There was a lonely mage up there. I jump on him, start debuffing him and going ham (as much as a vengeance dh can. lol). He started to realize at about 50% health that I wasn’t going to let up (I’m still at full). So he started to kite me around the LM building. I realized that when he was near the GY on the backside of LM, I MIGHT have enough time to double jump back to flag and cap. I did and it worked. Once my team saw the cap, I JUST finished off the mage, and also dealing with the mages Shadow Priest buddy, I finally got some assistance to keep the flag capped.

We went from having only 2, to 4 capping after we got LM. We won pretty handily. VERY fun match.

I’m sure I will have frustrating ones, but that maneuver double jumping back would be nearly impossible with any other champ other than a brewmaster double torpedo’ing maybe. But even then I feel like the Immortal Strike jump is MUCH quicker than the torpedo for Brewmasters.

1 Like

Good on you for understanding your role. It’ll get a little tedious but you’ll be immovable as solo node defense in AB too.

1 Like