Best Essences for prot?

Hello everyone!

I came back to the game 3 weeks ago and I wanted to know which essences are best for prot?

Thanks!

Major: vision of perfection
Minor: memory of lucid dreams
Minor 2: vission of perfection or nullification dynamo

Edit* minor dynamo or aegis of deep

If you have full 450ilvl gear and carrying ppl in +10 I’d recommend crucible major for high St damage.

Vision of Perfection should absolutely be your major. It is the stone cold nuts and there is no two ways about it.

After that it kind of depends on what you do with your time. I like Essence of the Focusing Iris for the Haste bonus + Conflict and Strife for the Versatility bonus. Aegis is also a good one and I could easily see it being taken over Essence of the Focusing Iris if you just want more survivability. Lastly both Azeroth’s Undying Gift and Nullification Dynamo are pretty meh in my experience. Both provide some survivability but the Versatility gains from Conflict and strife are better imo.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Isn’t Lucid Dreams worth it?

Correct me if I’m a wrong but essence of the focusing iris minor cannot be eqquipt while In prot

1 Like

I never knew you could use DPS only essences for tank roles. I’m thinking you meant sphere of suppression? Which gives you a haste buff (while slowing down enemies) whenever they melee you?

1 Like

Wearing essences from different roles would certainly be nice, and partially cover up some glaring holes in current class/spec design.

Looks at tank essences as a holy priest with no defensive cooldowns

Defensively your best essences are going to be as follows:

Major - Vision of Perfection
Minor - Lucid Dreams
Minor - Nullification Dynamo (For Raids) or Aegis of the Deep (For M+)

Offensively, which is primarily for raids as once you hit a certain point in M+ you need to go defensive and just pull bigger, you’ll want the following:

Major - Crucible of Flame
Minor - Vision of Perfection
Minor - Nullification Dynamo.

Other essences of note which are situational are Conflict and Strife, Anima (Its just fun to see big numbers), and Undying Gift (potentially for some really high keys.) You’ll see people talking about Sphere, but i dont really value it above any of the others I’ve listed.

Its good for necrotic weeks. As it gives slows enemies more than what thunderclap does. But that is about it.

You’re a warrior. You dont need sphere for necrotic weeks. 10% more slwo is incredibly minor. Most of the time, if you even need to kite - which you will rarely have to do, shockwave leap or shockwave / intervene / leap is more than enough.

I think I’ve had to clear necrotic maybe once or twice a dungeon and thats it.

I don’t value sphere. I don’t think its worth it. The other options listed are better for survivability and would strongly caution AGAINST sphere.

Okay well CoS is going to Root aoe every TC

And I still can’t find an instance where crucibal is better then vop for prot

Crucible of flame is only really better than VoP for prot if you want to push those single target parses in raids. At least for a major slot.

I just wish blizzard would fix VoP for prot warriors. Make it so that we can’t use Avatar if VoP procced first (like how prot pallys can’t use avenging wrath if VoP procced it first) and give the full mastery bonus from Bastion of might instead of 25-35% of it depending on the rank of VoP. Again, prot pallys get the full bonus of mastery from their equivalent trait.

But considering how far into patch 8.2 we are, I doubt it will ever be fixed. Blizzard is even ignoring my questions on if it is intentional or not. they are ignoring a simple yes or no question.

2 Likes

Everything points to them abandoning this expansion for shadowlands. Zero responses to PvP concerns for the whole expansion. And blizzcon they showed shadowlands stuff but I don’t think they showed any Nzzoth content.

To be fair they already announced all the main features for 8.3 prior to blizzcon. In a 30 or so minute video.

Well that is because Ion hates pvp vendors. He always got lost trying to find them.

1 Like

We do have a PvP vendor but he sells potato stew.

I’m waiting for a vendor that allows you to buy the previous seasons (BFA season 1 and 2) pvp sets. I never got the season 1 chest piece for the plate aspirant set. And missed out on the cloak / gloves for the S1 gladiator set.

But I doubt that will ever happen as well.

1 Like

It was Memory of Lucid Dreams. I have no idea how I mixed it up with Essence pf the Focusing Iris. Memory gives you some versatility and let’s you use Ignore Pain a bit more often which gives you some decent extra survivability.

I had to check my own Essences to figure out what I was talking about there.

Sphere also gives Haste though which is kind of nice. I am not using it now but I have considered it before. Maybe next tier when we get that 3rd minor slot.