Best dps spec for mage?

When I go to worldofwargraphs and go to Best Mages Rankings (PvE) (at least 1/8 mythic bosses down), the vast majority are fire. But it seems now that at least 90% of mages in my H EP groups are frost. So which does better dps the majority of the time in H EP? Fire or frost?

Is frost better for M+ runs as well?

I am by no means a pro with the fire spec which I cannot play properly but:

Fire is better in both EP and M+ for people skilled at it and properly geared.

M+ has Fire on top if you are playing in coordinated groups that can take advantage of fire. Generally speaking Frost is closer to Fire in M+ pugs.

For fire, you need to be properly geared with 3 BM essences and preferably the Mechagon bracers and socketed Benthic gears for EP raid.

Fire damage mainly revolves around properly executing your combustion phase and is a lot less forgiving than the frost rotation.

3 Likes

Yes, fire is the top PVE spec currently.

But I agree with Jacar… fire is all about perfectly executing every combustion phase. If any combustion isn’t executed absolutely perfectly, DPS is horrible… worse than frost or even arcane.

4 Likes

Play what you are good at and comfortable playing, I cannot stress that enough.

2 Likes

My main is a mage. I really liked arcane because it has little rng, but they did something to mess up the spec. I really like the flow of fire, but as mentioned it needs all the right things to be strong. Frost was always my least favorite but I’ve been playing it now and enjoying it. With my available set up it sims the highest for me and you can alter the game play a lot with your talents and essences.

Like it was said, play what you like cause at the end of the day if you don’t like it you won’t play it. I’d say give frost a go, it’s strong and can handle single and group targets and has cleave.

ok ty for input

I had previously mained a mage in Legion and BfA. I was by no means elite or expert, just average, still I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Fire is your better raiding spec and has been consistent throughout BfA. Its current dps lead in EP over Frost and Arcane is just huge. I felt it required great timing to do its rotation correctly and it was very sensitive to having the right gear.

Frost is a very good M+ spec. Great AOE burst. Good survivability. Strong CC toolkit. While the built-in slow on every attack can work against you in Sanguine weeks, in all other weeks it helps some tanks kite mobs and reduce damage they take.

IMO Frost stomps Fire for solo, open world play. Fire’s ignite mechanic can pull uncontrollably by spreading to nearby creatures and Frost just has a much stronger CC toolkit for kiting. As an FYI: arcane also does well in solo open world play.

In pvp, all 3 specs fill different roles but all have their uses (even arcane).

You may want to specialize in Fire, for example, but practice Frost too and keep a Frost gear set handy in case a specific situation needs Frost more than Fire.

The best spec is clearly Arcane. That upcoming 8% buff is massive, it’s gonna really make your AOE skyrocket. Your single target will be better than fires!

Blizzard knows what they’re doing, and this is gonna be exciting. I’m glad how clever their class design teams are. these people are top notch, and they deserve their pay.

The best dps spec for mage is rerolling demonhunter.

1 Like

Lmao! Way to necro a 3 year old thread. You’re not wrong though. :rofl:

2 Likes