Best corruption for frost orb mage build?

Title. I don’t know if there’s a place to sim theoretical corruptions(like we can with enchants and gems). Like I know I can sim my two pants slots with two different corruptions, but I don’t know which corruptions I can buy to max my dps.

I was thinking ineffable truth because reseting frost orb is insane, but is that really the most optimal one?

I thought ineffable truth reset icy veins not frost orb.

It says a random CD by x seconds. I’ve seen it reset Blizzard and frost orb. My legs have it.

Oh. Awesome.

Pardon me, I wasn’t exactly right.

Glimpse of clarity
Equip: Your spells and abilities have a chance to grant you a Glimpse of Clarity, reducing the cooldown of your next 1 spell cast by 3 sec.

Ineffable Truth
Your Spells and Abilities have a chance to show you the Ineffable Truth, increasing the rate your cooldowns recover by 30% for 10 sec.

But yeah, I’m curious if there’s anywhere we can sim corruptions.

It varies a lot by your gear/playstyle. (So if you’ve got low haste a haste corrpution is prio for example as far as stats go). There’s no definitive answer beyond the “damage counters” some sim by, but many saying Gushing Wounds/Infinite Star are best which aren’t correct for all classes.

I haven’t seen anything specific with regard to the frozen orb build other than that many sources claim (or at least not too long ago were claiming) that it was falling behind No Ice Lance.

Raidbots sims corruptions (including purchased), and you can sim both No Ice Lance and Frozen Orb builds on Raidbots by adding the appropriate custom APL command to the custom APL window at the bottom:
rotation=frozen_orb
OR
rotation=frozen_orb

Raidbots gear compare. Haste corruptions are generally a good choice. Haste proc is slightly more DPS than the % increase, but the % is more DPS per corruption point. Also, use the appropriate damage proc for your content: TD or tentacle.

Yes, I found someone with the exact same build as mine. He said haste proc and increase is top, crit proc and increase is second tier and ineffable truth is third.

I took his word and bought some as it was in stock and my dps on multi target went up over 20k in aoe fights. Been blowing stuff up recently!

This depends on gear. Assuming your stats are really well balanced for both setups, then the no ice lance spike build wins. But if you have slightly higher Haste or are going for 3 or more targets then the FO build pulls ahead given how Frost’s Mastery falls way behind in value after 2 targets (1 without Splitting Ice).

On my mage, even on single target, FO build wins by 8k on sims. In gameplay I’m not able to replicate an 8k advantage, however I do think the build is better for when burst phases are needed on fights since the 14 second window Orb + RoP provides has amazing potential.

Yet ultimately it’s all up to RNG (has always been for Frost).

1 Like

Yup for my build, Mastery is second lowest prio only to Intellect. It’s true that my damage on ST bosses are medicore, but my dps on trash packs are insane.

At the end of the day I have more fun with Frost Orb so I go with that (though I’m still going to try for the best dps with it)

One more thing about corruptions. If you run Blood of the Enemy as your major essence with this build (it is actually far superior to anything else) then the Crit corruption loses value as you gain very good crit% from the BoTE as well. It also loses value if you have say, N’zoth’s trinket. I ran some sims and then your best corruptions are Haste proc, Haste %, and the CD reduction (assuming you have BoTE).
However, Void Ritual deserves a special mention - if your group is carrying 3 then it’s considerably strong. Finally if you’ve nothing else to buy and can spare some corruption then consider the tentacle. Tentacle > Ritual when you’re alone.

Infinite stars does way better on a DoT class than it does on Frost so I’m not sure if you’d want it.

I have infinite stars rank 2 and it does 10% of my damage so it still does good on a frost mage.

It’s not bad, but it’s way better sims on a DoT class and can be #1 damage source on something like a shadow priest.

On singletarget it’s pretty nice for me, yes.

I don’t run blood of the enemy anymore now that I have nzoths trinket. I favor vision of perfection as the haste plus having frigid grasp’s benefit offers great synergy.

You can do Raidbots’ gear compare to add whatever corruption you want to gear. Try doing a bunch of different corruptions but while keeping everything the same and you can calculate approximate DPS/corruption to see which ones to go for.

According to Dratnos’ spreadsheet, Expedient > Strikethrough > Ineffable Truth.

If you’re going to maximize your burst for damage, then maximize your burst for damage. If you’re using VoP + FG, then you’re losing a lot from your burst in favor for a more even damage distribution… so N’Zoth’s trinket is a bit of a waste compared to a passive trinket like vida.

Another thing to consider is that the FG intellect buff only lasts for the 10 second duration of the VoP haste buff on a VoP proc, NOT the full 20 seconds of the trait.

It’s what simmed the highest for both single and multitarget.

Everything points to having haste, so VoP is really the best procing 30% haste. Then it’s crit=vers so trinket seems optimal. As far a different trait, if not FG what should I aim for if I don’t have packed ice/flash freeze as options?

Yup, it’s what I go by as well and what Raidbots simmed for too.

For the FOB you should aim for 3x packed ice ,1x flash freeze and 2 whiteouts,also i did a simcraft on Psyche Shredder vs manifesto of madness and Psyche Shredder always beat manifest by at least 1.5 k in dps,thats in st mode.

Very true, but simming for multi targets, Manifesto pulls ahead.

https://imgur.com/a/MwhFfgI