Best class to farm with?

What’s the best class to farm with for herbalism, mining, and skinning?

druid. no contest. Stealth tank with increased speed can pick up nodes in travel form (flight and land). great burst for dropping that one annoying mob standing near nodes. No other class even compares to druid for gathering.

5 Likes

In BFA I would have said Paladin or DK for mining, for the +20% mounted movement speed and blacksmithing hoofplates to be able to mine while mounted.

Unfortunately, Blizzard decided to do away with hoofplates for some reason in Shadowlands, leading it back to Druid being the best for it all. It’s bonkers.

Druid turaen. You can herb way faster. Pair it with skinning.

Druids, period. Unless you’re really into skinning, in which case Worgen obviously are the best race choice there.

Clearly a balance druid is the bot spec of choice.

1 Like

I leveled a Mag’har Orc DK for gathering, but no hoofplates makes him sad. Being a Necrolord saved him because Flytrap is the best mount in the game now and allows gathering while mounted. Only downside is no Flytrap in the Maw.

Going to necro this one instead of making a new thread.

Druid seems to be the king of gathering, ok. Which spec seems to work best? I’ve tried druid and love the mobility and stealth, but the weak bleeds drive me nuts. I can’t seem to find any synergy with the bear form, either. Open world gathering as a healer feels counter-intuitive (although I haven’t tried it all that much). Boomkin is hit or miss.

So, which spec do people use most?

And which class would people say is a solid #2 in terms of gathering.

1 Like

Just about any other class. Rogues with the Sky Column herbalism mount have stealth when you need it and you don’t have to dismount for herbing.

Worgen rogue would give you fast skinning.

1 Like

I’d say Hunter for the second class. You can use your beast to have the attention of any mobs near the node and take the node.

1 Like

I’d give the edge to Warlocks over Hunters. Specc’d properly, a Lock can be a killing machine when farming mobs. Their VW holds threat against multiple mobs easier/better than a Hunter pet.

2 Likes

Misdirect + Multishot = GG (obviously not done as Survival)
Pet holds all the threat so you can get that herb/ore node.

As for skinning, it simply amounts to the damage the class can do. Once again though, Hunter pets can get threat very easily from Misdirection or even using Feign Death to switch the threat to the pet.

That being said, unless something has changed for Shadowlands (haven’t played Warlock this expansion), the Voidwalker isn’t as sturdy as a Clefthoof. It could be comparable to a Scalehide (for non-BM hunters) though.

Also forgot to mention that Hunters can track beasts.

1 Like

you mentioned no synergy with guardian

nevertheless, i have found guardian druid to be the king of open world content specs

and gathering- skinning and herbalism (can be done in form) plays into it more

totally self sufficient and can pull and solo most rares in zm

fantastic for doing percentages in wq’s where you can monster pull packs

you can drop into any content spot start pulling packs of elites and, without forming a group, automatically draw every other player near you to dps everything down

and if anything ever goes south, well, you’re a druid and can “get away from trubul”

2 Likes

other than my druid in open world content my warlocks are up there

only the speed and transitioning from kills, gathering, to flight/mount and the need for some more players against rares (sometimes) keep warlock just below

but warlock mob killing and better able to handle magic casting mobs (and ability to gather cloth) is stronger than my guardian

i like having both druid and warlock to do my “workin’ for a livin’”

1 Like