Benthiccc was good, execution was not

I really enjoy BFA: we can get a gear upgrade from any activities we want to do.
We can do PVP (random drop or weekly conquest quest/chest), Dungeons, Raiding and World questing.

That is the real reason why Blizzard removed raid gear set bonuses. They want people to do what they want to do.

No need to X or Y, you can play the way you want and have fun.

What you propose is to force people into doing raiding again and only having one source of gear. Classic is like that, have you try it?

Check Warcraftlogs if you’re really that interested in digging.

And im sure you guys did - i just know various other guilds that didn’t mind.

Or you’re just not there when they grumble about it. The sentiment is quite widespread that this was an awful mistake.

I had tried but couldn’t find anything back that far.

That’s simply not true. We have a system now where we have numerical inflation that requires a squish every other expansion. This system would eliminate that.

Your system, doubling every tier, would still require a “squish” every once in a while. You know why ? Because people like you who hate big numbers. If it weren’t for your guys, we’d have ilvl 1500 by now and be doing billions of DPS.

I never felt like a squish was necessary, but i also see how doing billions and eventually trillions of damage is excessive.

I see the point of trying to implement a system that scales and neutralizes that kind of inflation.

I’m sure quite sure how it specifically relates to benthic in the manner you seem to be getting at as one of the big issues with benthic was the value of it’s bonus effects, or specifically bonus effects combined with gem slots.

However I do agree in general with what you are saying.
Benthic as upgradeable pieces that you can farm towards with currency = good
The effects that they brought, as you said needed to be synonymous with effects gained with the raid content of the patch though as well to balance them out so that they didn’t overall out perform every other gear.

I definitely think that going forward content specific affixes on gear makes sense as a solution to perpetual gear scaling and the problem of infinite scaling that we currently see in game. It allows for a more sideways progression through patches with steady linear progression over the expansion.

I feel it kind of keeps things more relevant throughout the patch as well, older raids etc would still be relatively challenging and rewarding in later patches if you don’t have the affixes as you are only 15-30 ilvls higher by the end of the expansion.
Also it keeps players relevant as a catch up if they have been away from the game for awhile as they would have missed only up to 15 ilvls from skipping a patch, however as far as new raid affixes go they would be on equal footing.

I would imagine something of a system where off-pieces grant a set bonus towards that content, with tier pieces having more general spec bonuses similar to the past.
Maybe weapons have a more significant effect to continue their relevance as power pieces.

It’s just a number. There is nothing excessive about it so long as kill times remain the same.

If it scales, but definition, there is inflation.

The problem is if you have EP affixes that only work in EP :

• They don’t help you in Mythic+. Meaning you have to start “from scratch” and also farm a seperate Mythic+ set.

• You actually regress in power when a new tier is introduced, as you lose all your affixes in the new content. That won’t sit well with people.

My proposed system doesn’t “double every tier”. It “halves every tier”, then doubles over the tier, the net being that you always end up doing around the same damage numbers in the end. Therefor no inflation. Your damage numbers always stay in the same relatively small range. And yet, you progress, because within a tier you end up doing more damage (and taking less) as you gain more gear. Then you move to the next tier and it halves again.

I’m only saying “half”, because your claim that dps doubles over a raid tier. I personally think that half/double is excessive.

If it’s “just a number” then you shouldn’t have an issue with it being smaller. Right?

Agreed, but in a system that was designed around those affixes for content bonuses I would imagine that M+ also has it’s own affix for the content which not only rewards players who want to do that content for doing it, but potentially also can increase the viability of classes if the affixes are handled well.
Same with PvP.

I agree that it’s not for everyone and it needs more than the 2 minutes of thought to flesh out, but that’s why I think a soft system is best like the OP stated, you still gain ilvls, but the gap is simply smaller. So the raid gear would still benefit as a base level for M+, but getting the M+ gear would eventually grant more benefit, same vice-versa.

M+ would objectively have it better I would imagine, as I would expect the increase in lvl with season would continue over, however since the affixes are more generalized you would be able to continue using those pieces and simply replace them with upgrades from the new season, where as the raid gear wouldn’t carry over as much.

That said I don’t believe gearing needs to be homogenized with a single best way to do it like the current system has, I find it boring and unrewarding for playera who prefer specific forms of content.

Realistically you don’t regress, as with any new content released it is balanced on the expectation of the base ilvl for that content, there wouldn’t realistically be any significant change. Obviously that depends a lot on how the affixes are implemented, and they would probably have to be more static similar to benthic effects rather than tier specific pieces which can affect rotation etc but realistically they don’t have to be super exciting, as they are simply a bonus on top of what would normally be bog standard primary + 2 secondary gear that isn’t super interesting anyway.

It is, but having 10 digits popping up on your screen as you dps is way more annoying and 3-5.

There’s a sense of practicality at play that i understand.

“I agree that it’s not for everyone and it needs more than the 2 minutes of thought to flesh out, but that’s why I think a soft system is best like the OP stated, you still gain ilvls, but the gap is simply smaller. So the raid gear would still benefit as a base level for M+, but getting the M+ gear would eventually grant more benefit, same vice-versa.”

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Thank you for catching my drift, Haavi.

Like how resil helped in arena, raid affixes would help in raid, and m+ affixes would help in m+. The base ilv could be the same and grow very slowly. This would result in you being able to skip a raid tier and slip into the next raid tier without penalty, excel at your area of play without increase general power levels, and largely end the extreme stat growth and squish cycle blizzard has locked themselves into.

Blizzard has moved to a seasonal model for everything, but they haven’t built a way to have seasonal progression without doing their seasonal reset by nuking everything with +30 ilv growth.

1 Like

But there were players who did grind

the socket + best stats + best special.

Moreover rejecting a free power boost to 415, from leveling gear is too hard to ignore.

I’m not saying ignore the existence of Benthicc gear, I’m saying ignore the parts that Blizzard has acknowledged were a mistake because they won’t do that in the future- so let’s take a look at the potentially good idea that was hiding under their mistake.

So your solution to not doing squishes is doing squishes every patch.

You didn’t think this through.

The problem is keeping it small results in multiple modifications to the game. If it’s just a number, there is no issue in letting it grow.

That basically turns WoW into a lobby game, where you “pick your hero” for content you want to do. Rather than an RPG where you obtained a weapon, either forged by the best smiths of your faction (PvP), or found in the deepest dungeon, in the clutches of a great demon or in a dragon’s hoard (PvE).

WoW is at its core not an eSport, and any suggestions to “seperate the gear” so that it only works in the content sphere you obtained it is an effort to simply make WoW into a sort of lobby eSport game, where you have 3-4 game modes, and different progression for each, rather than the RPG it’s supposed to be.

If you’re not playing WoW because it’s an RPG, and your issue is that it’s not that great as an eSport, I have bad news : you’re the problem with the game at this point (I’m not saying you, as you YOU, but as in the people who think WoW should be more eSport friendly).

If anything, Legion and BfA have both been the most friendly as far as gear progression. It used to be “Raid or Die”, with PvP being treated as a side game. Now everything can progress everything, and people outside of Raiding can get access to very powerful gear that rivals raiding gear.

You do regress. Your highest parse on a EP boss with EP affixes would suddenly be 20-30% lower on the first boss of Ny’alotha.

Again, sounds like eSport. You’re being regressed in new content, rather than continuing where you were as you would in a typical RPG.

The question is now : why do so many of you want WoW to be an eSport, rather than an RPG.

eSport. Progress in one sphere is invalidated in another. Bad for the game overall.

I have to question what issue you think you’re even fixing.

The most effective solution will make things simpler, not more complicated.

1 Like