Beginner tank help, please

Hey everybody, I tally do pvp and wanted something different so I decided to start tanning mythic and I’m having a lot of fun. I’ve been able to to the big market dungeon and a + 8 mists. I’m just so new I don’t know what level of mythic I shouldn’t attempt. Unfortunately, I’m doing most my tanking in pvp gear. Can experienced player give me what level mythics I would be able to complete with my pvp gear?

Thanks guys!

1 Like

it depends on the player, the healer, how willing you are to kite, the affixes etc.

best advise if to try higher and higher keys and see where you find your ideal difficulty.

since M+ scales infinitely, there comes a point where you technically CAN do it but it’s not that fun because it’s so hard.

try to do a +12. that’s the sweet spot for the weekly chest.

1 Like

Pvp gear is generally itemized pretty good for tanks. Only real issue is it being lower ilvl in pve content. Imo, just climb the keys until you find the point it’s starting to not go well. You gain nothing from running keys that are so low you don’t have to even try.

Certain dungeons are more intense on tanks than other roles. HOA is a big pita, but generally speaking, it’s going to depend on you. 15s were doable with s1 gear, but I fear your knowledge may be too low right now to make that work if you’re just starting out.

Tanks generally learn by failing. Don’t be afraid to try stuff, use defensives regularly, go with a tankier build if you’re nervous.

2 Likes

I wouldnt be too worried about pvp gear for tanking, the stats are actually not too bad, usually pvp gear has resilience, and resilience is mostly good for all tanks. Just start slowly and feel your way through the affixes. Biggest thing that took me a long time to learn is to sort of “feel” if I can survive a pull with cooldowns that I have at that moment. If not, can I kite it? Can I ask for a cooldown etc. M+ is about finding creative ways to go a bit faster each time, and dealing with the various affixes. My best advice is to just keep doing it, and most importantly, don’t take criticism from pugs too personally. Some might be valid, sure, but the level of toxicity in pug runs is insane, and they’ll eat thin-skinned tanks alive if you let them.

Pug scene is probably the single worst factor turning off tanks from doing M+.

1 Like

If you are totally new to the dungeons then gear probably isnt really going to be your issue. You are more likely to struggle with mechanics and pathing so you just have to start low where those matter less and learn them.

1 Like

To be honest just run your own key, and push as high as you can with the gear ye got. Also just have the thought process of trying too learn from every dungeon you do, since really the only way you will learn too tank better is to basically do keys and get 1 shot randomly by unexpected dmg then plan differently for when you get to what ever killed you before. There will always be something you can improve at. Oh and don’t let dps insults get to you.

1 Like

Tanking isn’t about gear but ability. Last week I decided to gear my pally and was tanking 15s easily at 210 ilvl. At your ilvl 15s are doable but need to do mechanics. Only thing you should aim for are different trinkets. Raid trinkets bis otherwise scale and haste trinket from spires be strong alternative.

Typo lol, edited my post

3 Likes

Was a typo meant 15s ROFL

You can do 15s with ease. But without experience and rating in m+ it will be hard.

You could heal or dps for a bit to obverse other tank’s routes through the dungeons. Or you could find routes to use if you want to tank them.

Vers is amazing for tanking.

1 Like

I would start with lower keys, get yourself familiar with the routes, and then progress to higher keys. A good rule of thumb is once you’re familiar with things like % and routes, then you can move up to the next affix level. Once you’re comfortable with how that affix works, move to the next. Work your way up to 10’s when you get the seasonal, which changes most of the routes you will take, and then get comfortable with those.

If you’re confident, start pushing your own key up and see how high you can take it before your gear / ability to survive starts to fall apart, then look at ways to shore up those gaps. That’s how you get better.

Goodluck on you grind big homie :clap:

1 Like