Begging for a response to the Lava Burst nerf

Please explain to us how you see Ele vs. Boomkin and Fire mage right now. Also explain why they are allowed uncapped AoE, and if that is their niche, what is ours supposed to be?

Moderator: Removed callout in thread title. Using words like “Blizzard,” “Blue,” or “Devs” in your thread title to call attention to your post is a violation of the forum rules.

5 Likes

Earthquake damage is nearly doubling - they saw how it was underperforming even with a legendary boosting its damage by 175%. The LvB nerf and ES buff pretty much equate to a net neutral ST DPS change.

In fact, the only thing that suffers from the changes here is spread cleave. Even before the nerfs we weren’t living up to the funneling damage profile Blizzard laid out in the alpha/beta, so it’s not surprising to me.

3 Likes

The question is why was the nerf to LB needed when boomkin and fire mages ST outpaces ele by a mile. There was no need to nerf LB as it was not a issue dps wise.

2 Likes

Unless boss encounters have more adds in the future Ele will suffer some.

I wish the Lava Surge proc nerf would get reverted now if Lava Burst damage is getting scaled back. PvP/Raid/Tyranical fights will really show this nerf, so i will hold out hope the proc nerf is being looked at.

Does anyone know if the nerf to lava burst but buff to Earth Shock will be a net gain in PVE?

Just looking at some logs, you are probably right that its not going to be as significant as people (including me) make it out to be for strict ST. Maybe a little more here and there for funnel, but probably justified with the AoE buffs.

I maybe have been exaggerating before looking at more logs and judging gains/losses. That said, I still wish the proc nerf was reverted. The AoE benefits will very likely overcome the ST losses I am looking at comparing logs.

It’s a fraction of a percentage nerf in pure single target. In situations of multiple big targets like Council of Blood we will see a decent loss in overall damage, but on the bright side any fight that allows us to CL or EQ would probably be a net gain. 70% damage on EQ and 35% on base CL is a substantial buff that we rarely see Blizzard make in the middle of an expansion.

1 Like

They’re moving around the damage profile in ST, it’s not a nerf to anything but spread cleave. If I had to make a wild and baseless assumption like the other 99% of these forums, I’d say it’s likely PvP related.

Also, comparing ele to boomkin and fire mage in the context of LvB damage makes absolutely no sense either. If you’re upset that they’re currently meta that’s fine, but it has nothing to do with these changes.
Edit: I paced over it, but elemental being outpaced in ST “by a mile” by fire and boomkins is just straight up false information, and I’d love to talk about it where you see that happening.

As I just said, it’s net neutral. ST is largely unaffected.

thats fair, sorry i missed you saying that.

1 Like

Boomy and Fire Mage are being carried by crit modifiers that place their dmg miles ahead of everyone else.

If we had a leggo or spell that gave us 40%-50% crit people would be here crying about nerf shaman

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re on about, but Boomie and Fire Mage are top 3-4 in EVERY game mode. All of them.

Ele is mid-pack, at best, in any of them.

I’d call that “by a mile”.

EDIT:
https://static.icy-veins.com/forum-files/uploads/monthly_2021_02/1302919967_newplot(39).png.1afab7b3831a674588da87430323fc71.png

By a hundred miles…

7 Likes

Nice chart I guess? If you would’ve cared to follow the small conversation here, he’s talking about ST damage profiles and not spec representation in keys.

No ones arguing they aren’t meta, again: saying that they’re “miles” ahead of elemental in ST is just false.

3 Likes

Its doesn’t matter if the buff to ES and nerf to LB is a net gain. The question is why nerf LB when ele shaman is in a good spot single target wise but no where near classes such as warlock, boomkin, fire mage, marks hunter, spriest, to name a few. It just seems like such an unnecessary nerf.

That being said if its a pvp nerf, I understand. Right now with PW + Echoing + LB ele can do some pretty nutty burst. But if this is the case just nerf it in pvp situations. Pretty simple.

4 Likes

Very true, even if the nerf won’t amount to much for ST (some for multi target) no clue why Ele is being targeted. PvP I agree it could make some sense and is easily nerfed with PvP modifiers.

Idk how to keep telling y’all that it’s not an actual nerf to anything but spread cleave. You all should ask yourselves why these classes perform well, what their strengths are, what fight lengths (or pulls) benefit them most, niches, etc… tuning isn’t as black and white with 1:1 comparisons to other classes.

But as these forums go, the sky is always falling I guess.

1 Like

A lot of it is left over from end of BfA . Ele was super strong and many people rolled one expecting this to carry over into the new xpac. These self proclaimed “long time shaman mains” can’t understand why ele is “under performing or bad” and other classes are “OP”.

Ele is in a really good spot for this early in an xpac and compared to almost every other xpac historically.

Historically ele continues to get stronger and stronger into the xpac and really begins to shine late mid to early late xpac. This is due to how we scale with secondaries.

LvB is extremely strong at the beginning because it is a “guaranteed crit”. As access to higher crit and haste levels rise value of ES/EQ and LB/CL will also increase due to our own crit modifier.

This is just typical early xpac oh no shaman sucks itits. The dmg shift (not nerf) will actually reward good game play. If you can master Eleblast/ IF talent combo your dmg should increase significantly. I know all the LvB spammers are bummed but it will be okay I promise.

But we dont, and they do. And since they received no changes I would love to know why ele got a nerf to one of its abilities.

1 Like

This is ridiculous on so many levels I don’t know know where to start tbh.

Again it is a nerf to lava burst. And if boomkin and fire mage are unchanged then we should not be getting a nerf to anything.

1 Like

Looks like you just need to reroll boomy or fire mage or both. Clearly shaman isn’t doing it for you.