BC Timewalking Overtuned

Normal 340
heroic 355
TW 365
mythic + 370

In my experience, it comes and goes. The difficulty pretty much has its own cycle, which is independent of the gear/progression cycle.

For example, during the MOP timewalking, I saw no benefit from legendary cloaks. That’s despite the fact these cloaks are level-appropriate for MOP… they came from that expansion. These cloaks used to be extremely OP during some periods of timewalking. WOTLK gems used to be twice as powerful in TW as all other gems. They are not anymore.

It may be an attempt at normalizing all gear so that people don’t feel compelled to hoard gear from 5-10 years ago. But the end result is that you are as weak as the weakest player today.

People will, with time, discover some niche gearing that works better in TW. For example, secondary stats don’t scale the same in TW as they do in end game. So people who keep a set of TW gear, will gem/enchant for the stats that work best in TW. This will work for a while. Then Bliz will rebalance it again.

Just for comparison, top dps during BC proper was around 3k. Good dps during BC proper was around 2k. Passable dps was around 1.5k. BC TW with set bonuses from WOD and the cloak from MOP during WOD gave around 3k-10k dps. You could literally roll through them. DPS in BC today is 1k-2k (depending on the situation) almost regardless of the gear. That puts it at lvl-appropriate experience. But it’s taking so long that, like I said, people will start tuning gear for TW.

And, of course, what would BC experience be without a GM baby talking to you?

Overtuned implies too difficult. Doesn’t say anything about rewards in the title

1 Like

I’ve done the weekly on 3 of my 7 120’s so far. Plan on doing the rest. Also did one dungeon on each of my 3 alts in the 70’s just to get the 500 badges (currencies are nice btw).

I enjoy the difficulty. The risk of wiping is very real but certainly not overly difficult if you’re cautious.

Someone else mentioned it already but having portals put in or some sort of checkpoint system would be nice. Long walks back really kill the enjoyment factor.

One of my guildies mentioned that 5 dungeons seems a bit much and while I’m fairly neutral on that, the mythic weekly only takes 4 dungeons and emissaries and assault both require 4 quests so simply for the sake of consistency perhaps changing TW to 4 dungeons instead of 5 would be better.

1 Like

Guessing you didn’t play BC. That sort of tank behavior would be wipe after wipe! We’ve gotten to used to speed running instead of actually trying to do mechanics, and use our abilities, like CC, imagine that…

6 Likes

Actually being able to use my freakin CC for once is fun and nostalgic though

4 Likes

If by hard you mean we had to wait for the tank to mark a sap, sheep and a trap then we pulled one mob at a time and it was a huge time sink…then yeah that’s how it was.

4 Likes

I think the problem is less difficulty (it really isn’t that hard, guys…) and more that the rewards are disproportionately low compared to far easier avenues. I wouldn’t exactly call the likes of Slave Pens difficult as long as the group proceeds with caution instead of just pulling the whole room and spamming AOE till lunchtime – but the fact that it rewards 20 levels less than a daily emissary is…kind of absurd.

1 Like

I don’t think the rewards are too bad since you can go in there with really low ilvl, can get up to 375 timewarped and the weekly 385 from raid. It’s just that’s its more intended as a catchup. I’ve geared fresh alts trought timewalking and it’s great rewards.

2 Likes

He’s really not. The main problem is that nobody ever dispels the haste, forcing the tank to blow defensives early instead of saving them for when the Mortal Strike starts stacking up.

If there is a problem here, it’s that we don’t have on-demand avoidance to drop stacks at will like we did back then (RIP pocketwatch). But the glut of defensives we have instead are plenty. When I tanked Temporus this week I ended up with like 70% Mortal Strike – but it worked because I warned the party ahead of time to keep the haste off so I could stockpile defensives for the final push.

Also most DPS today have never seen a taunt-immune boss before and wonder why the tank struggles to get aggro back when they explode with all their cooldowns before the tank even gets there.

That’s not the second boss. That’s the third boss, and he’s a total chump as long as the healer keeps people topped off in anticipation of the time stop instead of getting sloppy and leaving you at half health for a while.

Back in BC, tanks relied heavily on avoidance over mitigation, so their health was super spiky. Aeonus’s stun reduces you to zero avoidance, so his autoattack was tuned to go through about half to a third of a tank’s HP while completely helpless. These days, not only can you mitigate that weak damage very easily outside of the stun, but we have defensives we can pop while stunned and most healers can leave lingering hots on you. The only reason you’re going to die during that stun is if the healer got exceedingly lazy and left you at half health for a long period of time.

I’ve found the best solution to these things is generally to just speak up ahead of time and warn people of what the upcoming boss does. You know, before you pull it. It’s not like anything interesting is happening during the waves.

5 Likes

Yyyep. Heck, normal SLabs if you and your gang were in a bunch of bunko greens. The Auchindoun dungeons didn’t play around.

2 Likes

Yeah the thing is that hardly anything in Arcatraz can be CCed at all.

The overturned crowd is chain pulling non cc wanting to face roll the content. Nothing new.

They want a return to how it once was is all.

4 Likes

I have to ask, do people mispell this deliberately? Because it does give a chuckle since it is a prison after all…

1 Like

It’s not an accident you realise? The dungeon is named after the real life prison.

Did BC Heroics also reward gear lower than it’s difficulty level would dictate?

How it should be considering it’s time gated content with a mishmash of levels thrown in there.

It’s not overtuned. It requires the things that people no longer care to do, like communicate, coordinate and use cc.

5 Likes

Kind of, yeah. They were very difficult unless you significantly outgeared them. They did reward badges of justice though, which could be used to buy raid level gear.

3 Likes

It doesn’t really require those things at all. It just requires you to know the mechanics. The issue is that the people who do know the mechanics have no reason to do them any more since the rewards were nerfed.

I’d probably still do timewalking if you still got the bonus roll from it. But I’m sure as hell not spending 1.5 hours in dungeons for some shards.

To me, “overtuned” means something that’s too difficult for the intended gear level (e.g. Heroic Odyn in ToV was overtuned at release). Timewalking isn’t really “overtuned” in that sense, but it is certainly not worth the time investment any more