Battle.net launcher forgot WOW is installed

So my battle.net launcher seems to have forgotten WOW is installed, I have verified WOW still works, I can run it from wow.exe. The locate tool in the launcher fails to work, even when pointing to what I *know* is the correct directory. Please do not just point me to the customer support article that the launcher suggests; it is useless. I am not re-downloading 50+ gigs of something I already have. Please just tell me in what configuration file this is stored so I can enter in manually. I would be happy to do so.
1 Like
Telling it where it is manually should be all that is required.

Is your WoW in a non-default spot?

You could also try reinstalling the launcher itself, it is fairly small and quick. Reinstalling WoW would not be one of my recommendations if it is present and working otherwise.

If find the proper spot doesn't work (double-check that location) or reinstalling the launcher doesn't help, I'd next head to our Tech Support Forum.
1 Like
I have reinstalled the b.net application; no change. The directory I am pointing to is where wow.exe is located (yes it is a non-default spot but it's worked before)
Not sure then, that should work.

I'd followup in our Tech Forum.
1 Like
did you try using the exe inside the folder and not the shortcut on the desktop?
10/27/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Piale
did you try using the exe inside the folder and not the shortcut on the desktop?

Yes - well the folder where the exe is. The locator tool only points to directory, not files.
To fix this what you will want to do is rename the current WoW installation to something else. You will then want to start an installation of the game fresh. After it finishes the indexing and starts to download files, stop it and close down the app. Delete the new folder that was created, and rename the old folder back.

Start up the Battle.net App and it should patch a bit and work again.
2 Likes
10/27/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Ilyana
To fix this what you will want to do is rename the current WoW installation to something else. You will then want to start an installation of the game fresh. After it finishes the indexing and starts to download files, stop it and close down the app. Delete the new folder that was created, and rename the old folder back.

Start up the Battle.net App and it should patch a bit and work again.

Tried that, didn't change anything. Although I suspect that implies you use the default or at least the same path each time. I don't have 53 GB free on the SSD where WOW is currently installed so the launcher refused to even try to download to that volume.
That should fix it. Move the current WoW game off the SSD to make room so that the App can do the partial install to the location of your choosing. Doing that will fix the corrupt info that is causing the issue.
Ok, tried again. That actually worked, thanks for the tip.
1 Like

“Tough luck kid, ask someone else.”

Content edited to remove inappropriate content.

~Vrak

1 Like

Unfortunately, Drekazi, none of what you posted would be appropriate. Resurrecting a thread after over a year runs contrary to our forum guidelines, but is often forgivable. Doing so where the drive was do insult others, name call and calling for the termination of employees, etc… is not. It is not appropriate on these forums and has resulted in the temporarily removal of posting privileges.

To be clear, the Customer Support forum isn’t Technical Support, we’re not experts in Tech Support and we are unable to provide that kind of assistance. If someone posts here, we are sometimes able to run through some basic troubleshooting advice but if that doesn’t work the only recommendation we can provide would be to contact folks who are actually technically savvy and can provide additional troubleshooting. Directing a player to the next forum over, Technical Support, isn’t remotely close to “Tough luck, ask someone else”.

10 Likes