Battlenet app causing excessive cpu usage

Has anyone noticed this app is causing a lot of CPU usage in the last few days? Normally I wouldn’t notice it but my pc fans have been just racing and as soon as I shut down the app it stops (task manager also shows heavy usage). There are no obvious updates happening.

Idk, but I really do miss the days when you could play Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft without using blizzards stupid app. Offline mode I guess is what you used to call it. I guess you can play Starcraft without it for a few days, but I believe gizzard still makes you login to the app every week or two to be able to continue to play it offline. So they can continue to spy on you I guess😂

Delete the battlenet folder. I had that issue last night.

You don’t need that folder or is that something that the app just recreates and the current files are corrupted?

As soon as you go to play Warcraft it reinstalls. Tech support online has a quick walkthrough.

It was asking me to reinstall game and I couldn’t locate my game (even though I had it), so I deleted the Battle.Net app as per the tech support article.

Ok thanks. I will have a look at that.

And lookie here a thread on this… although they are blaming the game and I think it is the app

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/high-cpu-usage-recently/709719

1 Like

you must have deleted something different than i am trying - it makes me hunt for it instead of recreating it (good thing I just renamed it).

I have to ask. Have you cleaned the dust out of your computer lately.

I cleaned out my laptop the other day and you would not believe the amount of dust that came out of that thing.

For what it is and while running in the foreground, the Battle.net app is using a lot of CPU… Between 0.8% and 1.8% on my PC. If I minimize it to the tray, the usage drops down to 0.1%

As far as I know you only have to log in to patch the software, but you can directly run the apps all you want, until the patches are released.

I set mine to shut down when I launch the game. Dont need any resource hogging apps running in the background.

Okay i thought I was going crazy. You know when someone is sick or has a disease and they’re like “I just knew cuz I know my body.” Well I feel that way about my computer. I just knew something was running a little harder than usual.

I use the app to log in, then close the app and keep playing.

3 Likes

Can’t you just use it to launch the game, then close it?

That is literally 1 of its settings.

1 Like

I’ve noticed it also on my laptop. Although I didn’t know what was causing it. Will have to check it out tomorrow.

Task manager, find blizz launcher app, end task. You have to fight them a few times. They definitely want to stay open.

They are downloading the next expansion in the background. I have had no trouble with it at all.

Your Battle.net App uses a form of torrenting, which saves Blizzard money, but it’s also CPU intensive. You can forcibly throttle your bandwidth via the battle.net app settings on the World of Warcraft tab.

Of course you also need to be aware that just because you have everything downloaded doesn’t mean someone isn’t downloading it from you.

Yes odd you say that. I had added to the thread in tech and I thought of doing that. I am sure it doesn’t fix the problem of higher cpu usage but it is less noticeable now.

Yes, I have done that. I actually turned off all updates to other games and beta/ptr/classic etc.

And this is where the problem could be.