Battlegrounds aren't fun anymore

The matchmaking is broken. Everyone knows that healers are worth 2-3 players, so why aren’t they making sure each time has the same amount of healers?

Secondly, you have to deal with crap like balance druids who seem to have more range than a freakin sniper while also being so damn tanky.

Thirdly, the gear given for casual, solo players isn’t strong enough to compete with the insane items given to players who already play a lot more than us.

Battlegrounds should take in consideration the average item level of a team and match it against another team of an equivalent item level. It would sometimes prevent having to go up against premades of super geared arena players wanting to absolutely stomp some noobs.

Once you have full honor gear, there’s pretty much no point to even bother getting conquest, as even if I try, I wouldn’t be able to reach 1400 rating without suffering a lot. Everytime I get into an arena game, i’m stuck facing perfect teams like a dps + healer who have more gear than me. Like, what the hell is this?

It sucks feeling stuck in a bad situation. I spend most of time just deserting games as I do not need the honor anymore. It’s pointless. I just take a quick look at who i’m up against, and see their average item level, and I can generally tell if we’re going to win or not. It’s really getting dumb.

20 Likes

I’ve been in maybe 3 battlegrounds out of the hundreds I have played at max level that did not have evenly matched healers.

Balance druids have 45 yards. I’m pretty sure hunters also have 45 yards.
I think we have 5 yards on you as a fire mage.

Running rated battlegrounds would solve the majority of the problems you are currently having.
I suggest you pop open Premade Groups->Rated Battlegrounds and hook up with a group which will also give you a bit of the matchmaking you are looking for.

There is a 100% chance you will reach 1400 because you don’t lose any rating until you hit that rank. So, just go and run some RBGs, get your rank, upgrade the gear you have, open your vault on Tuesday which will have already ranked gear for you. Do this every week and you will get a minimum one piece of gear each week from the vault, and potentially another from conquest points if you hit the cap from rated PvP.

Then you can sit and sulk in that 207 gear, or continue running RBGs to try and get your rank higher.

Arena is simply not an option without gear. The people you face are doing the above or the PvE equivalent to gear up prior to entering, and you will be going against them. In fact, considering you are somewhat referring to yourself as a “casual” player, I would suggest you steer clear of the arena scene. It’s pretty sweaty in there right now.

2 Likes

Battlegrounds are fun AF.
Sounds like you got personal issues. Take a break if you aren’t enjoying the game.

I appreciate blizzard trying to revitalize random battlegrounds with the new conquest/honor vendors but I really don’t think casual BGs should be tied in any way to character progression (other than the 197 honor gear as just end game starter items basically). Conquest gear should be upgraded through honor earned through rated gameplay (at a reduced cost of course) because I See it on my low gear alts and on my main, just a swing of 7-8 item levels makes a huge difference in pvp now. My main will just be ripping through people trying to grind honor for some gear at like 180 ilvl and then my alt at 195 is just getting 2 tapped by 220 ilvl ret paladins and what not.

I like the vendor but it does promote unbalanced gameplay. They should not have essentially tied random battlegrounds to upgrading conquest gear.

1 Like

Yes, this. Agree 100%!

6 Likes

Please see If you Q as a level 60 in a 51-59 bg - #84 by Okayboomie-dethecus on 60’s running BGs and the lack of healers and peoples thoughts.

healers are a crutch when you learn how to approach battlegrounds without one you usually have more fun in randoms unless youre trying to coordinate a comp stomp then o well.

1 Like

Maybe with your Premade of 215 geared players. But if beating up on lower geared players is your thing…

1 Like

I’m 207 ilvl. My druid is 205. My warrior isn’t even 200.
My ilvl is average across all my toons.
But you go ahead and keep screeching, boomer.

1 Like

I am not 70 years old, and btw Boomer generation did what was deemed a miracle, far more then any of you Millennial’s, most of you cannot even change a flat tire.

6 Likes

Ok boomer.

1 Like

You got it Millennial.

6 Likes

i tried this, i now have a sub 1200 rating in rbgs and pvpers laugh at me.

“try RBGs” is not a valid answer to casuals.

2 Likes

You don’t get better at it by giving up. Get 1200 your first season, 1600 your next, and so on. Make it a goal to improve. Look at strat guides for the maps, look for advice on how to lead. Some people will get salty when the team loses, put them on ignore and btag the cool ones.

3 Likes

you want me to wait 3 seasons to hit 1800? that is unacceptable, and that is also frankly, a stupid system.

do you honestly think i dont know how to play the maps? or that my skill has any impact on my rating whatsoever? i literally make glads run away and afk in epics on a nightly basis.

my point here is that RBGS are more imbalanced than unrated pvp as the match making system is basically broken in RBGs. (ELO was originally for 1v1 in chess, not teams)

not to mention there is no solo-queue. without solo-queue, most casuals have no interest in playing rated. i dont want to form teams, i dont want to lead, i just want to queue up and play and have fun.

2 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t help you with gear right now, but I am talking about personal progression.

I would bet on it.

Given that you’re a DK and DKs are always in demand, yes your skill matters a great deal.

Not broken in terms of matching. You win and your MMR goes up and you’ll face increasingly harder teams, usually. You lose and it goes down until you face similar teams.

rating is not progression, that is where the devs have seriously messed up, rating is supposed to be a judgement of skill. but it can’t be that when they intentionally bias some classes to win.

pally is doing well right now because they want all the pallies to get the shiny mog. same reason dk was super OP in bfa S2. they are designing the rating system out of engagement metrics, not a true spirit of competition.

you would lose and you know it. when i lose games its because either we have pugs not doing what they are supposed to, or we can’t hold objectives because of balance issues.

sure, teams want a single dk for grip, and then they expect you to target call. like, stop offloading your thinking on to me, i’ve got my own thinking to do.

on the surface sure, but a yolo team vs a preselected team of all rets with correct itemization? doesn’t matter how good of a pvper you are in that case, you gonna lose.

and also, as far as i understand it, you can take 5 2400 players, and 5 “new” players, and they will have a team MMR of 1200, and get matched against a 1200 yolo. that is a 2400 team vs a 1200 team, working as intended?

3 Likes

I’m not sure why you don’t understand that everyone else is dealing with the same thing. You think every other team isn’t facing tough comps? You think the 2400+ groups aren’t facing cherry-picked meta comps? I lead mixed comp RBG groups on my druid with some people who’ve played PvP less than a month and I still get them over 1600 in one night. Like that’s nothing amazing but it’s better than 1200 where you claim to be hard stuck at. Comps or “bias” is not why you’re losing. I’m not trying to be a jerk about it but that’s reality.

Target calling isn’t difficult. All you have to do is select a reasonable target and call it. “Ok I’m on the druid”. If he pops wall or gets externals like Pain Suppression then you switch to new target. It’s stuff that you should be doing on your own anyway in any BG, even randoms. Most people aren’t going to harass you for talking in voice, and if they do you can just put them on ignore.

Stop making excuses, Inemia. Those meme teams are rare and typically only work against bad teams anyway.

I had a similar experience like that last night. Ran into a team of 3/4 High Warlords on alts and the other 1/4 were carries lol. We got rolled hard. Oh well, they’ll soon pass out of your MMR range anyway. Get over it and stop making excuses for why you can’t progress.

1 Like

it really is, when i can sit and go, we lost because of X, Y, and Z and that specific time, if those variables was our error, such as we should have zigged instead of zagged, then sure, i would have no problem admitting it. however when i ask why we lost a node, and the response i get back is 3 rets showed up and deleted everyone, that is a balance issue.

im generally not thinking when im pvping, so converting anything going on in my head into speech that isn’t going to be expletive filled will divert too much focus.

then i must have the worst luck in the world. when i lose, even when i get killed in a team fight, first thing i look at is my combat log to see what just happened. watching 3/4 of my HP disappear in under a global is not me making excuses.

and you think that is fair? if the point of rated is to use MMR to balance teams, then teams smurfing means the MMR system is unreliable.

1 Like

Yes. MMR does balance teams, that’s why the more you win the higher you get and you’ll pass out of lower MMR ranges. That carry team will have been out of our MMR range soon enough. Either way, we didn’t see them again during our 8 games up to 2100 MMR and we faced zero meme comps like 10 pallies.