Battle Pet Power Creep

Less of a complaint more of any observation.

I have recently been getting into battle pets again lately and having a fair bit of fun and doing a lot of collecting. But I have also noticed that some of the old pets back from when the system was first introduced and man some of those pets have garbage ability sets. Don’t get me wrong not all of them are bad, pets like the Val’kyr, Anubisath Idols and even base pets like the rabbits have been mainstays in any serious pet battler’s arsenal, but some of those old pets are pure garbage. Then you also have pets like boghopper and hermit crab that have a higher stat budget than normal.

Again I’m not complaining, just making an observation. I’m glad they keep bringing out new and exciting pets with interesting kits, but you do look back at the old ones that are cool pets, but man do their kits suck.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I agree. I think they’ve just become better at creating more interesting movesets. Some of the new pets are still garbage (it’s like… why should I spend 100 charms on this pet???) but a good number of them are still ok. They have acknowledged that they biffed up a couple pets like hermit crab with higher stat allocations and they have said they will fix them soon ™.
I do wish they would be faster at hotfixing some of the op pets though… that, along with their determination to cling to pet battlegroups makes pvp pet battling a pain sometimes.

1 Like

I think they do a decent job of staying ahead of things. As someone who occasionally hits the PvP queue, you will always see FOTM teams. But nothing is as disgusting as the period when Graves disease hit the queue. That pet was OP for far too long.

Boghopper is over budget but hardly overpowered. Hermit Crab is great as a tank, but a good flyer can still destroy it. But it’s not like I see either pet a lot. The queue is fairly well balanced now. The only complaint I have is that I inevitably end up running a darkness team to counter the self-healers - I’m looking at you Fiendish Imp. But other than that, I don’t have a lot of complaints.

Besides, it would be terribly boring if I was still seeing Unborn Valk, Direhorn or Clone Dance teams as much as I used to.

I think it’s inevitable when you now have over 1000 battle pets in the game. If Blizzard had placed more emphasis on quality over quantity (eg. rather than having multiples of NPCs with the same skin and model), then I feel it wouldn’t be as much of an issue in regards to dead weight.

Because collecting, that’s why! :wink:

100 pet charms isn’t all that much anymore, especially with the buffs early on in BfA. (Though I have over 30k pet charms, so my perspective may be distorted on this.)