Battle.net Launcher using 100% system resources

So I had the launcher open this morning when all the servers came down for the scheduled maintenance. Right around 5am, my CPU fans spun up to 100% and my CPU temps on all cores shot up to over 80 C. I checked my system resources and it was the Battlenet launcher that was listed as using 100% of my CPU on all cores.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I had my computer shut off twice on its own in the last week when I wasn’t watching it. I usually have the Battlenet launcher running in the background so now I am suspicious that a similar 100% usage glitch happened, overheated my CPU and shut down my computer. I can’t prove that though - just a suspicion.

Still, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the launcher suddenly go crazy and run up the CPU to 100%?

–Rakee of Terokkar

1 Like

If you’d like you can try going through the steps here to reset the WMI service.

Looking into this though this looks to be the same issue that we were getting reports of in Overwatch when we had the Archive update that redid the file structure for the game. The CPU usage will spike but even so, with proper cooling, the CPU shouldn’t be overheating. If you are overheating then it may be worth cleaning out the computer.

With that said, if the WMI steps do not help, then reinstalling the game from scratch should get around the CPU usage that you’re seeing. as it did with the Overwatch patch.

Just to add to the conversation:
My CPU was also pegged, but only during the actual download. Once the download finished, usage returned to normal.

I had this issue just recently, and never had been up to 100% 'cause of the launcher even through Downloads.

Patchy solution: (at least for those CPUs with more than 1 core)

1. Go to your Task Manager (alt+ctrl+del)
  2. “Details” tab
  3. Sort by CPU usage (or find Agent.exe)
  4. Right click -> Set Priority -> Below normal
  5. Right Click -> Set Affinity* -> Choose only 1 CPU, not all of them.
  6. Done.

You’ve set Agent.exe to use only a part of your whole cpu thing. Welcome.

*I say “affinity” 'cause my cpu is in Spanish, and term is ‘afinidad’. Not sure if it’s the right term in english, but it is right below Priority option.

Edit, after Drakuloth's late response below, for a last response since the post was closed:

Yes Drakuloth you’re right, PC is designed to use it at it’s 100%, but there IS a problem when you’re using lots of stuff for 15%CPU and then only One program eats 85% (only 'cause it can’t use more while we’re using 15%). Problem is we just can’t even Browse on internet with an i7 processor and 16gb ram.

No program gives such issues, not even 3d programs while rendering.

Then i’d say the problem is not our lack of understanding of how pc works, but the Battlenet App’s exaggerate use of the CPU, so much everything else FREEZES, not only goes slow, Freezes.

With most respect, we woldn’t have to be looking for such work arounds if app worked right.

1 Like

“CPU affinity” is the correct phrase in English for the concept. The menu item in English Windows 10 is “set affinity”.

All cool. :+1:

1 Like

Hey all,

I’m going to close this thread up because it’s working its way toward a year old now, but I did want to chime in about the work around above. I’m leaving it where it is, but I don’t recommend setting processor affinity for something like this. That’s a work around you’d need to do multiple times and doesn’t fix whatever the core issue is.

Your PC is designed to be used at 100% of its power. If you start having performance issues because of it, or if the utilization doesn’t go down when you aren’t actively downloading/installing something, that’s a sign of a different problem. I’d create your own thread to get individual help with it.