Banned for using "cheating software", but I multibox without the use of any software

Unless you use a VPN, they have access to your IP address, all your licensing information, account information, payment information, and everything else associated with Battle Net. I don’t work at Blizzard, but I’m something of a computer scientist myself, and one of the basic principles of people-tracking is looking for consistent activity at specific IP addresses. Though, I’m sure a small indie company : D like Blizzard does more than that.

1 Like

You have four emails listed in your ticket. This Battle.net account and three others. One that is similar to this Battle.net address and two others that are similar to each other. All four have the exact same names.

7 Likes

I just checked and you’re right. I know this isn’t an excuse, but I’m feeling very distressed right now. I just had the worst week of my life, and finding out that almost all my accounts have been closed was the last thing I needed. I don’t know why I thought my battle.net accounts had different names. This is embarrassing and I apologize for wasting your time.

It is ok. People often use nicknames. Robert Smith on one account may be Bob Smith on another (nickname for Robert).

Now you know that all are the same and (likely) match your ID which is exactly how it should be. One less thing to worry about.

You also got good info on how to ticket for this and what to expect.

This forum serves an Information Desk to help people navigate the support systems, answer policy questions, etc. It is not a waste of time at all.

12 Likes

Hello,

It has been 4 days now since I’ve appealed. I was told that my case had been escalated, and I’ve not received an update from anyone at Blizzard since then. Do appeal cases usually take this long? I’m losing sleep over this. I just want to know the outcome of the appeal, so that I can move on with my life. :frowning:

They can, depending on what their queue looks like, Abyssusseum. From what I can see it is still waiting in that queue. I’m unable to give you an ETA but hopefully you should hear something in the next few days.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on another matter, as well. I know this is purely anecdotal, but I have spoken to several members of the WoW Classic multiboxing community, who told me that they had all faced a similar situation at some point in the past (they were permanently banned by mistake, and had to appeal the case to get unbanned). They also told me that they had had to appeal their ban several times “before someone actually looked at their case.” They predicted that my first appeal would probably result in the action against my first accounts being upheld, and they advised me to continue appealing.

Would you say those statements are mistaken? I’m not a big fan of conspiracy theories (and all of these statements sound like one), and I’m skeptical that appealing again would result in a different outcome for my accounts. That’s why I was hoping to get the input of another party on this matter.

Yes and no. There are situations in which an initial look doesn’t find a valid error, but to say that it is almost guaranteed not to, I don’t think is accurate. Much depends on the original violation and the review process for it.

Not to mention there are situations in which a false positive isn’t immediately recognized and only through multiple examples and data collection from multiple accounts is it found and later able to be overturned.

2 Likes

So, in the hypothetical scenario where the action against my accounts is upheld, would it be okay to appeal the actions again? Even if I am told that any further appeal will be ignored? Or is that playing with fire?

No, if the account action is up held, then they’re finish looking into it. Any more will be seen as GM harassment. It isn’t an ‘Keep doing it until you get what you want’ here.

The last thing I want to do is to harass anyone. I don’t want to cause trouble to anyone at all. But since Blizzard doesn’t reveal their detection methods, for obvious reasons, then how do I know that a mistake wasn’t made by the person who reviewed my account data? I realize that there’s nothing I can do about this, but my powerlessness only adds to my anxiety.

In all cases, the only reason I would ever appeal a second and last time would be to ask that the actions against my account be changed from an account closure to a temporary suspension (of, say, a 6-month duration). I love the game and I want to continue playing it, and I’m very aware of the contents of the EULA and ToS.

So if I really did use a cheating software, it was an accident, one that I do not intend on repeating ever again. I’m always trying to improve myself as a person and as a player. I purchased gold for real money several years ago, and the account on which I did it was permabanned as a result. I was immature and stupid and I regret my actions, and I’ve never done that again since then. So I think I’ve shown that I’m capable of learning from past mistakes and not repeating them.

As a last resort, I will make new accounts and start from scratch, being even more careful than before about not breaking the rules on these new accounts. I hope that I’m allowed to do this, at least? I don’t think there’s anything preventing you from making a new account if your previous one was closed for breaking the rules.

OP, just to let you know, ISBoxer is one of those cheat programs that, if found on your system even if you are not running it, can and will get accounts banned. If you have any cheat software on your computer for any game, regardless if it is for WoW or not, it can be detected and cause an account closure. It has been that way for a very long time with WoW.

Yep, I just learned this the hard way. I installed it recently on my computer to use it for other games (I know it isn’t allowed anymore in WoW), and I suspect that this is what got my accounts closed this time around. I use ISBoxer for other games where it’s still allowed, such as EQ and LotRO. But since WoW is the game I play mainly, I’m seriously considering uninstalling the software and never touching it again, at least on the computer I use to play WoW.

I would highly recommend this.

My husband uninstalled ISBoxer and was manually clicking through his windows but still got a suspension. The only thing we could ever figure out was the install program was still in his Download folder.

I just removed it completely from one of my computers. In the next few days, I will remove it completely from every PC on which I play WoW. Out of curiosity, was your husband’s suspension permanent? And were you able to successfully appeal it? Because I suspect that I’m in a similar boat as your husband. I had ISBoxer on my PC, and I still used it for other games, but I have not used it to play WoW since the original policy change on multiboxing a few years ago. As someone who likes to manually multibox 10 accounts, I realize that I have to be extra careful about not having any software on my computer that might be detected as a cheating software.

No.

No.

I’ve probably said too much but I just wanted to advise you to get rid of that program.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

2 Likes

Each appeal is reviewed by a different person than the one who originally issued the penalty.

5 Likes

Having ISBoxer running while warden was checking your computer for bannable software is probably the issue. I multibox with up to 5 accounts. I used to use hotkeynet to rename my windows but deleted that. I have never used multiboxing software. I have been told many times that I have been reported, but clearly nothing came of it, because there was nothing to find.

100% the case. OP was likely reported for multiboxing by someone who believed multiboxing itself to be against the rules, and when the warden “looked” at the OP, it saw ISboxer, and flagged the accounts associated.

Appeal is very unlikely to work because the GM can see that ISboxer was running, but cant see what it was being used for, so, they will assume the worst; that it was used as broadcasting software.