Baine's Arrest

As an alliance character, I don’t know much about the storyline from the horde perspective, but this is what I do know. After Derek is returned to Jaina, we get another small cinematic with the arrest of Baine. My question is why is the arrest in Stormsong Valley and why is the entire horde leadership in 1 location in enemy territory… its not that big of a deal, but is kind of confusing especially since the horde fleet is supposedly crippled after the Battle of Dazar’alor. Can someone help me understand this from the horde view.

There’s no given explanation. Several reasons can be speculated, such as Sylvanas putting on a show knowing that the Alliance would be watching.

17 Likes

This is the number one guess. She’s putting on a show, just like she did when she was publicly torturing Derek. Its not for sure, but I think everyone has pretty much gotten on the boat that she wanted to use Baine’s morality against him and push him to release Derek; and through that she takes suspicion off of her sleeper agent through the use of Baine’s rep. She also puts a pretty effective leash on the Tauren through his imprisonment as well; and he’ll certainly prove to be tempting bait for potential other traitors should anyone try to rescue him…

4 Likes

It’s a show to reinforce the Alliance’s belief that her attempts to mind control Derek failed. Publicly punishing Baine and Zelling in Alliance territory goes a long way to make the Alliance believe she’s angry about Baine’s betrayal.

She took measures to prevent the Alliance knowing that all the Horde leaders would be there until it was too late for them to do anything about it.

1 Like

Those responses do help explain it for me, I was just left scratching my head trying to figure out exactly why they’d do it in alliance territory, but it does make sense if he was already brainwashed…

A power-move certainly is more effective in the right environment, and if she wanted the Alliance to know that she wasn’t going to allow any dissension in her Horde, that’d have been a way to do it.

It might also have been a statement to the Horde’s leadership of her confidence and power, to set up a meeting in enemy territory like that. Or an unspoken threat. “Who will you run to all the way out here? The Alliance? See where that’s gotten Baine?”

4 Likes

The more important question is whether anyone read Baine his miranda rights while he was being arrested.

7 Likes

Do you think there will be a trial? Does Talanji still say the following?

Baine Bloodhoof has shown honor and respect to de Zandalari. He must be given a chance to face his accusers and answer for dis supposed crime.
5 Likes

No, but they’ll certainly do it before an in-custody interrogation!

DON’T SAY ANYTHING WITHOUT A LAWYER PRESENT BAINE!

6 Likes

Can he afford a good Goblin Lawyer though? I can see Gallywix buying them all for the prosecuting team for Sylvanas…

1 Like
4 Likes

I mean if any actual effort was put into this games setting goblins should be the best at law. Their the one race in the industrial age at this point and lawsuits are likely pretty common, as well as crime do to their high poverty rate.

The issue is if baine can afford a lawyer as i dont think the 6th amendment exist in the horde.

6 Likes

I suppose he could always represent himself. He has a background in law, after all, having been Garrosh’s Lawyer for the War Crimes novel.

4 Likes

Even the best lawyers IRL hire lawyers to defend themselves. Not doing so tends to be a very bad idea.

9 Likes

This just got me thinking; Talanji joins the Horde on the condition that they be equals, not subservient. Derek was being held in Zuldazar, since all this happened on her territory (literally the same building she lives in) one could argue SHE should be the one choosing to administer justice or not.

2 Likes